Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #239

There are two kinds of campers. Those that think they are special and rules do not apply to them. We have witnessed people who drive as fast as they can through the campground, not thinking about small children or people. People who have no respect for their fellow campers and cut through camp sites. and people who do not keep their dogs on a leash. I have no problem telling them to read the rules and reporting them to the front office. In our six years of full timing we have been in many campgrounds that have zero tolerance when you do not follow the rules. You are told to leave and when told to leave, those special people wonder why.......

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2013, 02:15 AM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Kirby View Post
There are two kinds of campers. Those that think they are special and rules do not apply to them. We have witnessed people who drive as fast as they can through the campground, not thinking about small children or people.
This speeding in the CGs is a real issue with me because of all the children running around playing. And for some reason, no parents around watching them. The parents must think it's a safe place for children. But aside from the speeders, there was the recent incident with the sex pervert in the woman's showers I recently read about. These freaks are everywhere, even CGs.

Quote:
People who have no respect for their fellow campers and cut through camp sites.
This doesn't happen very often if you stay away from the sites near the toilets/bathhouses, paths to the beach or clubhouse. Look at the CG map before making reservations. They all have the bathrooms and other places of interest, and paths to them, well marked.

Quote:
and people who do not keep their dogs on a leash. I have no problem telling them to read the rules and reporting them to the front office. In our six years of full timing we have been in many campgrounds that have zero tolerance when you do not follow the rules. You are told to leave and when told to leave, those special people wonder why.......
I'm with you on this one. And since the dog attack on the woman at Tim's Ford, we carry pepper spray with us when we go for a walk. I didn't see the attack but met the woman the following day. She looked like she fell down a staircase littered with barb wire. From now on I will immediately call the Host if I see a dog running loose or loose on someone's site. If they don't act I will call the local Police, Trooper or Sheriff's office.

I would love to know the psychology behind people like those you mention. What makes them think the rules are not for them? Are they filthy rich and so feel superior to others? Do they feel privileged in some way for some reason? Do they suffer the "King Complex" were they see the rest of us campers as some kind of serfs undeserving of consideration?

Old 07-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #241

I think I'm one of "those" people. Lilly and Rosebud my 10 year old 5.5 pound chihuahua's are always on my site without leashes. They dont wander, bite or attack othe animals in their space. They will sit on a chair and watch the world go by or join in on the fun.

Sorry but I dont feel I'm endangering the planet. I hope the staties take pity on me
Old 07-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #242

I understand what you are saying...but rule apply to everyone not just a few..
Old 07-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #243

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Kirby
I understand what you are saying...but rule apply to everyone not just a few..
X2 - somebody had to say it. We're all able to rationalize why some things don't apply to us. Doesn't mean we should go with it. Even the "little things". For one it's the dogs - another quiet hours - another no gray water dumping on the ground. And on and on. And that's how a thread like this grows legs. One rationalization after another. JMHO YMMV
Old 07-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #244

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
^Yeah^ X3
Old 07-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #245

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A ranger told me about an incident once in a national forest. Signs with "Pets must be leashed" in the campground. He told the man to leash the dog as in the rules and the man argued the point that his dog never wandered off and stayed close by to him.
Next day the dog spotted wildlife and chased it. They got up a few people to search but the dog was never found.
I feel sorry for the dog. We take the position of caretakers and friends of the animals and we have a duty to do everything in our power to keep them safe and well as they can't do it for themselves.
I have been working with dogs for 30 years and one thing is certain. You can never predict what an animal is going to do.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #246

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have 2 fur babies, one a 20 lb mix terrier and one a 5.6 lb Chihuahua - both are either on leashes, in a fenced crate area, in the MH or on a staked out chain - they are never allowed to run free. This is for their protection as well as others.

Keep in mind that you don't know my dogs and I don't know yours.

Worst yet if other folks don't do the same to contain and control their fur baby and they come charging across to my leashed animal when walking (or into our camp site) my critter is at a disadvantage. It can't get away, it can't really defend itself and I'm put it the middle of it all. I should not have to carry a large baton, pepper spray or anything else to fend off another's critter because their owners aren't conscientious enough to abide by simple rules and protect their animals as well as others. Oh and this rule also protects kids and adults from being harmed by RVing animals.

Bottom line is if you aren't willing to contain your animals when RVing in a park with others, then leave them at home, board them in a kennel or don't go RVing where the rule is that they must be contained.

And yes I will turn you into the Park Rangers, gate attendant or park office if you can't abide by this simple rule.

Sorry, I feel like I'm being mean making this statement, but then again no one should have to make this statement.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #247
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPICoaster View Post
Bottom line is if you aren't willing to contain your animals when RVing in a park with others, then leave them at home, board them in a kennel or don't go RVing where the rule is that they must be contained.
Absolutely agree!
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #248

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a friend at work who was a camper. We would always swap stories after a trip . He came back from a trip to Jekyll Island over Thanksgiving. He had made a reservation at the campground on Jekyll. He advised them he would be arriving after midnight. They said no problem, just look on the front window of the office and there would be his name and his sight number. He arrived and looked on the list. There was a sign that said late arrivals could take any site except the ones listed as reserved. His name and site was listed as reserved. He went to the site and there was a huge diesel pusher parked there. He double checked the number and went to the door and knocked. A guy finally came to the door and he told him he was on a reserved site to please move. The guy told him to go to hell and slammed the door. He went to the office and there was a sign that said there was no staff at night. It said that this was a state owned facility and if there was a problem to call the State Patrol. He called the GSP and in a few minutes a patrolman showed up. He told him the problem, showed him the sign and said the guy was a jerk. The patrolman asked why the site was better than another and he told him it had sewage and all the ones left did not. The patrolman knocked on the door and told the man to move. He said it was too late and he was not moving till mourning. (wrong answer) The patrolman told him he had fifteen minutes to vacate the site. If he was there after fifteen minutes he would call a wrecker and impound the motorhome. Sometimes the good guys do win.

jekyll
Old 07-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #249

ga traveler,

Somewhat glad it all worked out.

I may have opted to not play Bevis and Butthead, at midnight, for just one half of a night.

Just sayin....

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 07-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
I think I'm one of "those" people. Lilly and Rosebud my 10 year old 5.5 pound chihuahua's are always on my site without leashes. They dont wander, bite or attack othe animals in their space. They will sit on a chair and watch the world go by or join in on the fun.

Sorry but I dont feel I'm endangering the planet. I hope the staties take pity on me
Yep, they all say that, until they bite someone!
Old 07-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #251

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
A number of years ago I worked for a while as a park attendant / parking lot enforcement officer and we would always tell people all pets were required to be on a leash. I reminded a group about this rule and they all claimed the dog was not aggressive.

It wasn't either, the cougar found it delicious.

A year or so ago an 18 month old boy was attacked and mauled by, they believe the same age and size of cougar. B.C. cougar attacks toddler - British Columbia - CBC News

Too easy to forget how unforgiving nature is.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #252
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
A number of years ago I worked for a while as a park attendant / parking lot enforcement officer and we would always tell people all pets were required to be on a leash. I reminded a group about this rule and they all claimed the dog was not aggressive.

It wasn't either, the cougar found it delicious.

A year or so ago an 18 month old boy was attacked and mauled by, they believe the same age and size of cougar. B.C. cougar attacks toddler - British Columbia - CBC News

Too easy to forget how unforgiving nature is.
Cougars aren't the only predators out there. Bears, coyotes and dognappers to name a few.

Closed Thread

Tags
campground