Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #281

We have a 7yr. old dog that is Very protective of DW. Only time he has every been loose in CG. Was last spring when a Pit Bull treed DW on ladder of MH, Let 230 Mastiff out the door, 1 less pit bull, one safe DW. End of problem!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #282
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Our job here as members is to offer and share our experiences with others. What works for some, does not always work for others.
The only really way to ensure our pets are under control and kept from harm is to leash them. The only way to ensure other campers are not scared or offended by our pets is to leash them. No pet is perfect under every situation when you are out in the wild. Not all campers enjoy animals and it is wrong for any of us pet owners to assume so. Personally, I don't feel its right to assume that all campers are comfortable with a loose animal. They may have small children. They don't know us or our pets and can not assume they wouldn't hurt a flea.
Having our pets under control, no matter their obedience or temperment, is the only real way to ensure ALL people are enjoying themselves, feel comfortable around our pets and that our pets are safe in the outdoors.
We know our Miniature Dachshund is wonderful. If we are out for a walk in the campground and someone wants to come up and say hello to her, we welcome them.
Personally, if you feel that you need to have your pets on the loose, maybe camping in the wilderness or just staying home is the answer.
Subjecting our animals to others and assuming everyone is alright with it is selfish on our part.
I believe the interaction with other campers and our pet should be on their terms under our supervision.

Just my opinion.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #283

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well said Les. I would add that CGs have rules for a reason. The leash rule may not keep them out of trouble, but liability is one factor every business has to contend with. As long as they say "on a leash" they are at least attempting to cover themselves should something go wrong. And they also have every right to have and enforce the rule. This forum has covered the liability aspect of the equation several times in the past.

I would also add that many folks go along to get along. If a stranger walks into the camp with a 60 lb dog off leash and says - no matter how nicely - you ok with it? Many will say sure. What people say and what they actually think are often two different things. That's civilization for ya. I for one would say sure, no problem. As soon as the guy is gone I'd be on the phone to the office. It's not my job to confront people or enforce the rules but I can report a violation. I would also make it clear to the office to leave me out of it. It's their rule. We have covered that many times as well - if they make a rule then we pay for it to be enforced. Not by us, but by them.
Happy Saturday night folks.
Steve
Old 07-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935
The ones that questioned having dogs unrestrained have had unpleasant experiences and therefore seeing an unrestrained critter raises some concerns. Not every pet owner is as continence as you are.
Sorry Chuck....I don't agree. I think it is important, particularly for those of us who RV with pets (dogs), to condemn in no uncertain terms someone deciding they are special and do not need to obey CG leash rules. When pet owners decide to ignore leash rules, waste pick-up, noise (excessive barking) considerations, etc., simply because they feel rules do not apply to them....then this reflects badly on all of us who RV with pets and, in specific, jeopardizes my opportunities to enjoy the RV lifestyle with my furry friends.

BTW my urinary/bladder functions (continence) are just fine....but I still think my dog needs to be on a leash in the campground.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #285

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234
......BTW my urinary/bladder functions (continence) are just fine....but I still think my dog needs to be on a leash in the campground.
Now that's funny.

You also made some excellent points - personal responsibility, accountability and respect for rules and regulations do not end at the CG entrance.

No Depends about it.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #286

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How about

When some tatted up punk threatened to sic his barely restrained pit bull on our rather docile and friendly golden retrievers? Why? Because they were off leash in an area specifically designated for off leash........ Apparently the punk couldn't read. (No surprise there)

While this was being said his older friend was hitting the pit on the nose to get him good & angry. I let them both know that I would do whatever it took to protect my girls.

Hard to believe isn't? But that's exactly what happened to us this week in an RV park we've gone to dozens of times before but may not be going to again. Every time we went outside I expected to have to kill a dog that had the misfortune to belong to a tatted up scumbag.

Do tasers work on pits? I know that pepper spray usually doesn't.

The retired cop camped next to us was ready to shoot both the dog and the owner!
Old 07-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #287

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
The retired cop camped next to us was ready to shoot both the dog and the owner!
Please tell the retired cop to just shoot the tatted up one. The dog could be rehabilitated.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #288

I'm sure none of you have ever broken a rule ever in your life so feel free to judge me when you know nothing about it. At any rate some of you seem to think all dogs are a menace and that simply is not true. I go out of my way to ensure my neighbors are happy and that we all have a pleasant camping experience. I do not like inconsiderate neighbors and I make sure that I am not one. It's clear that no one here is going to change their opinion on the subject and you won't ever understand how awesome my dogs were unless you had met them. I agree 100% that most dogs should be leashed because I have met many and very few were as well behaved as mine. It is a rare thing and not surprising that many of you cannot comprehend it without seeing it firsthand. I feel bad for all of you which have had bad experiences with dogs but I assure you it is the owners and not the breed. Dobermans and pits are a couple of the best breeds you could ever have for a friendly family dog. They are great with kids. There are tons of YouTube videos out there as proof for the uneducated skeptics. Its unfortunate there are people out there abusing them and training them to be mean and fight and it's also unfortunate so many people are so quick to judge them negatively when they know nothing about them.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #289

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Sorry Chuck....I don't agree. I think it is important, particularly for those of us who RV with pets (dogs), to condemn in no uncertain terms someone deciding they are special and do not need to obey CG leash rules. When pet owners decide to ignore leash rules, waste pick-up, noise (excessive barking) considerations, etc., simply because they feel rules do not apply to them....then this reflects badly on all of us who RV with pets and, in specific, jeopardizes my opportunities to enjoy the RV lifestyle with my furry friends.

BTW my urinary/bladder functions (continence) are just fine....but I still think my dog needs to be on a leash in the campground.
Opps, Jack1234. I reread my post which makes no sense.
I fully agree with you. I really don't care if ones dog is blind and has one leg and is also an ordained minister. IT BELONGS ON A LEASH !!! for both the pets and fellow campers protection.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #290

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
I'm sure none of you have ever broken a rule ever in your life so feel free to judge me when you know nothing about it. At any rate some of you seem to think all dogs are a menace and that simply is not true. I go out of my way to ensure my neighbors are happy and that we all have a pleasant camping experience. I do not like inconsiderate neighbors and I make sure that I am not one. It's clear that no one here is going to change their opinion on the subject and you won't ever understand how awesome my dogs were unless you had met them. I agree 100% that most dogs should be leashed because I have met many and very few were as well behaved as mine. It is a rare thing and not surprising that many of you cannot comprehend it without seeing it firsthand. I feel bad for all of you which have had bad experiences with dogs but I assure you it is the owners and not the breed. Dobermans and pits are a couple of the best breeds you could ever have for a friendly family dog. They are great with kids. There are tons of YouTube videos out there as proof for the uneducated skeptics. Its unfortunate there are people out there abusing them and training them to be mean and fight and it's also unfortunate so many people are so quick to judge them negatively when they know nothing about them.
We have kicked the pit bull thing around in another thread here so I won't get to windy with it but by far the most attacks on people by dogs are pit bulls. See here Dog Attack Deaths and Maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to December 31, 2012 - By Merritt Clifton - DogsBite.org "In the first eight months of 2011, nearly half of the persons killed by a pit bull was the dog's owner and primary caretaker." 2011 Dog Bite Fatalities by DogsBite.org, 2011 So I absolutely believe that your dogs are well trained and completely safe but since everyone can not know this when you first meet people will be alarmed. We had a unleashed pit come running toward our dogs once. It turned out he was fine and just wanted to play but in those first few seconds we had no way to know that.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #291

Inappropriate campground behavior is a part of the camping experience.

Most campers are polite. There are a few that do not follow the camp rules, some out of innocent ignorance, some out of obstinance.

Where most of us camp, those that dont follow the rules will usually be politely reminded, and most will politely comply, often appologetically. I will always politely wave as those that would not comply are leaving.

Staying at well-managed campgrounds is a blessing for us all. Campgrounds that are not so managed is where we wont go again, and our online reviews reflect that.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 07-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #292

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know of a dog that wouldn't hurt anyone or anything. But for some reason it got after a cat and while attempting to get the dog off the cat, the owner was bitten pretty badly. When an animal, even my sweet kitty, is under stress their reactions are going to be to try to protect themselves (as they see it). Your animal may be every bit as docile and loving as you say, but if I see them coming at me unrestrained I tend to be skeptical that they will be so in all situations.
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
Old 07-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #293

......so........
Not to derail the ongoing..... but....
We were at a campground in Ohio and there was droppings all over the place (6 or 8 around my truck in the morning) and no one was picking up after those animals. The worst was their vocalization all night.
The best solution I could see was to drain the pond and the 30 or so geese would fly away.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #294
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
Dogs aside, the point is that RULES are for everyone. You agree to follow them when you pay to stay in a campground. Follow them or stay home. In my opinion, being "considerate" includes following the campground rules.

I don't understand why people feel that they are somehow exempt from the rules the rest of us have to follow. Is it that they are dense or just don't care? Your dog is special to you, but not so much to me. (I'm a dog owner; my little dog is leashed when he steps out of the motorhome, mostly for his own protection.)

A discussion of dog breeds and how they are perceived is a topic for a different thread. This one is about "bad campground behaviors".

Closed Thread

Tags
campground