Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #309

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
BC was going to vote on joining the USA. We didn't get around to a vote because Alaska and Texas were heard moaning about us as a state being bigger than both of them combined.
If you joined the US you would lose your countries great universal health care, lose your countries great regulations on banking that prevented your countries massive economic melt down that our banks caused, etc., etc.

But you would gain a lot of rude campers that would come up there and spoil your beautiful landscape.....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #310

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Dirty campsites left from the previous campers. That is why I carry a plastic leaf rake to rake up the site. I also have a small shovel to clean out the fire-pit of burnt beer cans and food containers. We camp 95% of the time at state parks. I'll leave the campsite cleaner than I arrived...

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Old 07-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #311
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Dirty campsites left from the previous campers. That is why I carry a plastic leaf rake to rake up the site. I also have a small shovel to clean out the fire-pit of burnt beer cans and food containers. We camp 95% of the time at state parks. I'll leave the campsite cleaner than I arrived...
Not a problem here in the Oregon State park where we are staying for 5 months. Within minutes of a campsite being vacated, the Camp Host golf cart rolls up and the site is completely cleaned including the fire ring. I wish that happened everywhere!
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #312

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Not a problem here in the Oregon State park where we are staying for 5 months. Within minutes of a campsite being vacated, the Camp Host golf cart rolls up and the site is completely cleaned including the fire ring. I wish that happened everywhere!
The Princeton Municipal RV Park and Campground at Darcy Mountain Rd and Highway 3 in southern BC is just as you state. The host and hostess are immediately on vacated sites to clean and prep for the next arrival. One of the reasons we always stop there on any east bound trip.

Gotta love people who enjoy their work and work for the benefit of others. The caretakers, Karen and Jim are terrific fun people also.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
I'm sorry. Why should a camp host have to do this?
Old 07-08-2013, 05:38 AM   #314

Do you clean out your fire ring? I would also think it gives them a look at the site versus some CGs that say "what, where?" When they probably gave not seen the spot since they started.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #315

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
I'm sorry. Why should a camp host have to do this?
1. Because it's their job

2. Because not everyone has the high standards of cleaning up after themselves

Do you return your rental car washed and waxed after you use it? I don't. Yes I clean out any "paper/garbage" inside the vechicle and make sure the tank is full but I don't take it to a car wash before I return it. But you better believe me if I rented a car that was dirty I'd be peeved.

In a perfect world everyone would leave their campsite better than when they pulled in but in my experience this is a less than perfect world.

We recently were in Virginia and it seemed like half the campground had fires at night and the temperature didn't drop below 78 degrees. Our next door neighbor must have been smoking meat because there was so much smoke from their fire pit the Mrs. and I stayed inside our MH and we STILL smelled the smoke.

I just don't understand the desire for fires in the heat of the summer - especially when NO ONE when cooking over the open pits; they all had gas grills.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #316

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theluckys View Post
I just don't understand the desire for fires in the heat of the summer - especially when NO ONE when cooking over the open pits; they all had gas grills.
There are people that would not consider camping without having a campfire even when it is warm outside. We had a neighbor in a Florida state park that since there were no fire rings started a little fire every night in the BBQ grill. Real nice guy and such a small fire it was no bother. He just didn't think it was camping without it.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #317

Camping.
Campfire.
Synonymous.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 07-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Camping.
Campfire.
Synonymous.
X2! (But not wet, smoky wood!)

Old, old rule, taught to me by my parents and mentioned here earlier, is to always leave your site better than you found it. A rule has to be either taught or caught. Old curmudgeon, me.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #319

Leaving any place better than you found it was drilled into me as a kid, our kids know that also and I always practice that. My 30+ years in the military reinforced that view. Even as I vacate a house I have sold or rented the place is spotless as we go out the door. Of course we don't make the bed in a hotel room as we leave, or wash a rented car before we take it back. - common sense has to be applied everywhere. We always do a walk around the campsite and make certain all is shipshape before we leave it. In fact I pickup trash left by some moron as I walk our (always on a leash) Shi Tzu.

(We lived in military housing for years and outgoing inspections were standard, regardless of rank. As an 06 the same rules applied to me as to an airman and one leads by example.) My point is it does not matter who you are or what rig you drive, the rules apply to all.

Setting a good example for others is always a good idea. Regardless if it is picking up trash or just making your campsite/home more tidy and attractive. This is contageous, just as good manners and behavior are.

Unfortunately one cannot fix stupid and some bad manered people cannot be rehabilitated easily so more forceful effective measures are needed to curb the offensive behavior.

Stepping off my venting soapbox now - just had to get my 2 cents worth of rant time in.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #320
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theluckys View Post

1. Because it's their job

2. Because not everyone has the high standards of cleaning up after themselves

Do you return your rental car washed and waxed after you use it? I don't. Yes I clean out any "paper/garbage" inside the vechicle and make sure the tank is full but I don't take it to a car wash before I return it. But you better believe me if I rented a car that was dirty I'd be peeved.

In a perfect world everyone would leave their campsite better than when they pulled in but in my experience this is a less than perfect world.

We recently were in Virginia and it seemed like half the campground had fires at night and the temperature didn't drop below 78 degrees. Our next door neighbor must have been smoking meat because there was so much smoke from their fire pit the Mrs. and I stayed inside our MH and we STILL smelled the smoke.

Our daughter loves roasting marshmallows. I build a fire for her.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #321

I've always heard that a smoky fire keeps the mosquitoes away. Besides, I love the smell.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids View Post
I've always heard that a smoky fire keeps the mosquitoes away. Besides, I love the smell.
Sooo with you 4kids!

In MN, no smoky fire = no go outside.
When we vacationed on our 40 acres of woods for 3 weeks, the campfire NEVER went out. Those days are gone, but the campfire still burns often.

Late night stories, using the glow and flicker of the fire to highlight the menacing gestures in the real scary parts; the glow of the faces of children, the fire making the whites of their wide eyes glisten pinkly just before the horrifying finish; poking it with a stick and watching the last tiny embers twinkle like stars; the morning with the mixing smells and sounds of a campfire and an old percolator, crackling and bubbling; staring at the fire, having thoughts of everything or nothing as the fire performs its hypnotic dance.....

Dave and Nola
RVM1

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
Closed Thread

Tags
campground