Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #351

We stayed at Howard Prairie Lake campground in Oregon last summer. (Very nice setting up in the mountains near Grant's Pass.) They have a bunch of rental travel trailers on site and have staff that is constantly running around all day to keep things clean. We had our own TT. Bought a huge load of firewood after arriving and then went sightseeing for a few hours. When we got back, all the firewood was gone. Every single piece! Very upset to say the least. The office initally said they couldn't do anything about it. After driving around and also asking nearby campers, we figured out it had to be a staff person that did it and got put back in the pile to sell to other campers. They had one of those Gator ATVs running around and it would have been easy to take it really quickly unnoticed . Went back to the office and reamed them out. Got our money back but said no thanks to more firewood.

Talk about instant cleanup...... Maybe this in an Oregon kinda thing?? Love Oregon otherwise (especially the no sales tax, lol).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #352

When were camping in Teddy Roosevelt NP several years ago a big motor home pulled in across from us next to the water spicket where campers got their water and proceeded to hook a hose up to it and wash his motor home. We thought that was kind of strange. They weren't even camping in the campground on top of it. When the camp host saw the water and suds he was hoping like heck the rangers didn't see it because it would have been his tail.

When we went back to the campground last year we noticed all the water stations no longer had threaded spickets.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #353

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiebug View Post

When we went back to the campground last year we noticed all the water stations no longer had threaded spigots.
A "Water Thief" (I carry one and CW sells them) will allow you to hook a hose to the spigots when no threads are present. The problem is that they won't take much pressure but would work to fill your water tank (or wash a rig)
Old 07-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Weed View Post
So let me tell the story or incident as it should be called, to this day I still get a headache thinking of it. Being up early is some thing I can't help. But trying to come up with some thing to do and not bother other people is even harder. So we were parked at a United States Corps Of Engineers Camp Grounds or C.O.E in AR and it was before 8am when I decided to go and dump the Black Water tank. Stepping
out the 5ver, Wow, for this time of the year it was really nice out this morning. Birds were singing, squirrels were being squirrelly and mockingbirds where mocking! This is actually what I recall from the previous morning, but not of this day.

So I go gather up my honey pot and quietly pull it around to the dumping valve, I have another valve at the end of pipe to control the flow operation(suggestion fro someone on this forum). So hooking up the hose making sure every things a go. I'M in a position butt up in the air head down closer to what I'M doing. (yes I have learned to squat, use my legs not my back). About that time I feel some thing go up my butt(so to speak, I was getting a crouch sniff). I'M fully dressed, let me point this out. Well reacting to the intrusion and the invasion of my privacy area. I stood up rather quickly.(I also dont like doctors and prostate exams) Can you imagine I forgot my slide was there, of course the corner wasnt a good place to head butt. Having a hard head I did probably moved the slide or 5th wheel. So a little while later when I woke up the birds and stars where so pretty, of course it went along with the headache and the stupid dog French kissing me. It took a while before I started actually being able to focus. Realizing this wasn't a dream and wasn't some sexy lady trying to run her tongue down my throat, but I think it did bring me to. It had rained the night before, so I was actually now laying in mud, blood, black water and no beer.

So after getting my sh** together and taking several swings at the neighbors well behaved mutt.(he was faster than me in my near vegetable state, not being prone to violence I did wish to thrash him terribly and would have choked him) How long I laid there I dont know. (Also a side note: the hose, honey pot was completely full and there was a small fountain of BW coming out of the air breathing hole, that's another story)

I went to talk with them before going to the ER for stitches. So after doing the Texas two step( you know two steps forward one step back, circle, circle) to my great neighbors RV they assured me that there well behaved mutt wouldn't bother or hurt us at all, as I stood there with blood trickling down my face and off my chin. Of course it wasnt that there dog intended to hurt me, so it seemed it was my fault, isnt it always. (side note: his name was Wolf, it was amazing when they called him, WOLF WOLF walking around the CG, always sound like they where barking idiots)

Why did the dog do this! I dont think I was in heat. I wasn't dress provocatively or did I try to entice or lead him on! Or neither did I have milk bone dog biscuits underwear on, you know the ones, right, there eatable.

After going to ER and a few stitches and only costing $300+/- (this would have paid for a month at COE) for trying to dump my black tank. Cost would have been greater if I had x-rays to check for a concussion!

What was I thinking of, stupid me, rules are to be broken, I should have dumped the black water on the ground(even though it worked out that way), right!(COE would have came down on me like a heard of turtles or a load of bricks) So going back to CEO CG I was going to talk to neighbors about bill, imagine that. Low and behold they decide to leave three days early and was gone.

Yes its okay to laugh about this every one does when I tell it, I do also, but there for a week I had a headache!

So go a head and let those mutts run wild damn the rules. Ever time a dog runs up wanting to sniff my crouch I now get a headache and feel violated all over again. Dont let it hurt your feelings if I take a kick at your mutt's head(joke), its just a natural tick I have developed.
It was all my fault you know!

P.S. I wrote it with humor for a good laugh at myself and a life lesson.
I love laughter, it beats crying, even when it gives me a headache.
I posted this in other forums hope that's okay.
I did write this Don Gertz Jr.
In all due fairness the dog didn't hurt you, you hurt yourself. Would it have made you feel any better if he was on a leash did it anyway? Not trying to be a smart ass, serious question. Just cause he's on a leash doesn't mean that still couldn't happen. Every dump station I've ever seen is along the road where everyone walks around the campsite.

Still I feel your pain, top of your head is pretty sensitive. I farm and I've cracked mine crawling around under machinery quite a few times. Never to the point of needing stitches though, but it hurts like hell just the same! you must've been really excited or it must've been a sharp edge to get you that good. At least you got a sweet campfire story to tell out of it, and you tell it well!
Old 07-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #355

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
Every dump station I've ever seen is along the road where everyone walks around the campsite.

He wasn't AT the dump station- that's the whole point. He was in his own campsite when the neighbor's off-leash dog came up behind him. Literally.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #356

Gulf Streamers Club
Some folks will try to twist anything to justify their own rule breaking. If it's a pet, it should be on a leash, in the house, or in a cage. If it's roaming free, it's not a pet, it's a nuisance. No one deserves to be goosed by a dog when they are in their own private (rented) space. Bad behavior is bad behavior.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Old 07-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #357

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

He wasn't AT the dump station- that's the whole point. He was in his own campsite when the neighbor's off-leash dog came up behind him. Literally.
Hey Fran, cesca

My pappy learned me to never argue wid a rock!

There is only one time when my dogs run free at a campground and that is each Easter when our gang comedies takes over the whole park and there are no rules. There are about 18 or so mutts running free at the same time so the old safety in numbers thing comes up so we've never been bothered with a sneak cougar attack.

Other than that they are either, in the Moho, in a cage, leashed or on a run line. Neither are aggressive and our Yorkie has no teeth so she couldn't bite you if she wanted too. There are rules and there are people above the rules.

Like pappy said you kain't nevver argue wid a rock.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #358

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
It was some thing that happened to me, I wrote it with humor hoping someone(like you) would actually see how there mutt might hurt someone, with the dog not being at fault, but doing what dogs do, right! I was in my rented space. Thank you for saying it was all my fault that I hit my head! It actually proves the point people are trying to make, about people breaking the laws with unleashed dogs!
I wonder how you'd respond with that happening to you and not suspecting that your going to get nosed. I didn't blame the dog who wasn't at fault 1)he was outside with no leash 2) with no human 3) he was being a dog! 4) the dog couldn't actually read the rules.
The owners on the other hand was at fault in my topic I posted with humor. I didn't attacked or slander the owners in my post, also I didn't slander them in person when some would have! I joked about taking a swing at the dog, I was thinking of my head at the time, go figure right!

I'M a mind reader also and I see your next post starting with,
But my dogs wouldn't ever do that! touché

IM not intending to slander any one with this post, please forgive me moderator if I do....
Old 07-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #359

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
It was some thing that happened to me, I wrote it with humor
Well, I for one thought it was hilarious the way you wrote it!

I especially like your description of bewilderment as to why that dog would be "attracted" to your- well, you know.The answer, of course, is that dogs do that for the same reason men climb Mount Everest:

...Because it's there!...
Old 07-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
I break lots of rules, as I'm sure all you do as well. I don't leash my dogs,i speed,i don't use my blinker if no one is around,i don't make complete stops at stop signs,i ride jet ski with no life jacket,i go within 100 feet of other boats,i chew gum in class,i drink alcohol on the street,i run at the pool,i dive when it says no diving, i park on the wrong side of the street, the list goes on and on. I'm a regular billy badass, they should lock me up and throw away the key, lol! None of the rules i break has any negative effect on any other person.]
Is this true?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 07-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #361

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Well, I for one thought it was hilarious the way you wrote it!

I especially like your description of bewilderment as to why that dog would be "attracted" to your- well, you know.The answer, of course, is that dogs do that for the same reason men climb Mount Everest:

...Because it's there!...
I had to join in! That was funny.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #362

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids View Post
I've always heard that a smoky fire keeps the mosquitoes away. Besides, I love the smell.
I had some FIREBALL and don't remember if there were Mosquitos or even a fire !!!!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #363

Caution - this post may not be suitable reading for the queasy or younger family members!

DW was talking to a male co-worker who camps a lot at the same cg we do. About a month ago, an un-leashed dog came out of nowhere, jumped up on him at the front and chomped his family jewels. Ended up in hospital. Lots of blood and pain. Cops attended along with animal control. The dog owners somehow tried to run and cross the border back into Canada. Not sure exactly what transpired in the end, but they did identify the owner. The victim talked to a lawyer, but was told that if he was successful, he'd have to collect (unlikely) and the court would only award a pittance anyway. On top of that, the lawyer's fees would be higher than the award. I'm sure if it was an American dog owner, a pit-bull type lawyer (haha) could get a good settlement for the vic.

All I can think of is how painful this would be....

Our dog got viciously attacked by a boxer in the same cg a few weeks ago. We *think* it's the same dog but not positive. After discussing it with their admin., they said if it ever shows up again, it's banned for good. Did not see it after just camping there for over a week. Keeping fingers crossed. We were actually surreptitiously scouting the cg without our dog first to make sure it was okay to take for a walk. We were peering between bushes, wearing sunglasses, and otherwise skulking about. Good thing nobody saw this suspicious behavior, esp. with all the little kids around....

Not sure why anyone would be ignorant enough to have an unleashed dog in a cg that is vicious and aggressive. This particular dog has a known history of problems so is not an isolated incident.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #364

Quote:
It was some thing that happened to me, I wrote it with humor hoping someone(like you) would actually see how there mutt might hurt someone, with the dog not being at fault, but doing what dogs do, right! I was in my rented space. Thank you for saying it was all my fault that I hit my head! It actually proves the point people are trying to make, about people breaking the laws with unleashed dogs!
I wonder how you'd respond with that happening to you and not suspecting that your going to get nosed. I didn't blame the dog who wasn't at fault 1)he was outside with no leash 2) with no human 3) he was being a dog! 4) the dog couldn't actually read the rules.
The owners on the other hand was at fault in my topic I posted with humor. I didn't attacked or slander the owners in my post, also I didn't slander them in person when some would have! I joked about taking a swing at the dog, I was thinking of my head at the time, go figure right!

I'M a mind reader also and I see your next post starting with,
But my dogs wouldn't ever do that! touché

IM not intending to slander any one with this post, please forgive me moderator if I do....
Yes I realize all this and appreciate you wrote it with humor, it was very entertaining. Still my question stands, I could think of 100 reasons someone with a leashed dog would walk by or through your campsite. Perhaps one of those nosy wanderers someone mentioned earlier. Just because it's on a leash does not guarantee that the owner will respect the privacy of your site or even that the owner would be paying attention to the dog. So, I ask again in all seriousness, would it make a difference if it was on a leash and still happened?
Closed Thread

Tags
campground