Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2015, 06:29 AM   #1

Bad Dealership

We recently bought a 2013 5th wheel from Bennett's RV in Granbury, TX supposedly "Gently used". I won't go into the long list of repairs we needed or the high cost of them. My point and hope is to make people aware of this BAD dealership so that others don't get taken like us. At Bennett's RV it
CAVEAT EMPTOR - Buyer Beware

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2015, 06:45 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You should add your comments here for future look ups by RVers.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:48 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Give us a quick summary. How long after you bought it did things started go wrong?
Old 06-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Without meaning in any way to contradict the "bad dealership", I am continually amazed that so many people fail to do their "due diligence" when buying an RV. Folks who would go over a house purchase with a fine tooth comb seem to get "wow'ed" at the RV dealer and blithely assume everything works. And too often dealers take advantage of the Wow! factor to shuffle off tired and worn merchandise.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
Give us a quick summary. How long after you bought it did things started go wrong?
The first day we picked it up. The litchen and dinette slides were supposed to be adjusted, they weren't and that night it rained hard. We got lots of water in both kitchen and dinette areas. Took it back to them, it sat a day and they didn't put driers in the coach to dry things out. When I mentioned that they were clueless and were going to just let it alone. I put my 2 heaters on it. There was enough water that it took 3 days to dry out. They adjusted slides again and gave it back to us, one week later when I went to bring them in the kitchen slide wouldn't come in. They took it in and broke 6 sets of gears over 5 days before they could get it to
work and it still wasn't right. On the first night we had it my wife discovered the bathroom and bedroom floor was buckled. 2 days later we found the kitchen island was leaning off the pedastal 1 inch. A couple days later the black tank failed, cracked in the middle, it was the first time I emptied it, and the service mgr with supposedly 25 yrs experience couldn't explain how it could happen. Needless to say we lost confidence in Bennetts RV. We took it to Doug's RV for repairs. The complete bathroom floor and a large section of sub floor had to be replaced. That lead to finding the sliding door between besroom and bathroom had fallen down and the bathroom storage caninet was ready to fall off the wall They have corrected all those issues and anchored the kitchen island. We also found, 1st day, the the cap sealing the two pieces of roof popped loose, I duct taped it so that rain couldn't get in and that's also been corrected now. When I told my salesman, Gary, about these issues he didn't want to help me. After experiencing Bennetts service I'm glad I decided to take our coach to Doug's. They have done a fantastic job, including getting the slides adjusted correctly, uncovered a few more minor issues and fixes them also. Josh is an incredible technician.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:36 AM   #6

Did you have the 5th Wheel inspected by an independent inspector. I would think that all of these things may have been found to be problems before you made the purchase. Just because it is coming from a dealer does not mean that they know about or even looked for any of these issues. Seems like by the time you ended up correcting the issues, depending on the deal you got originally, you could have probably bought new. I think that a lot of people who have major issues with their RV's trade them in at a dealer just so they don't have to worry about who buys it and inherits their problems. They just figure the dealer will fix everything which is usually not the case. Some dealers you can't even trust on a New RV purchase to make things right, so I don't know why people think they will be taken care of by the dealer when buying a used RV. Either way it is not the right way to conduct business.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:45 PM   #7

Angry Bad dealer (my story)

Bought my 2010 THOR windsport from DIXIE RV Supertstore in Newport News, Va in March 2013. First issue: 30 days after we bought it, we were getting ready to travel to Arkansas. Well, we still had temporary (30 day) tags. Called dealership. We were told they subcontract out the registration and license plate stuff to someone, and we should have our plates any day. Called day prior to departure, still no plates. Talk to the finance guy (his name escapes me) and tell him we'll be in his parking lot (50 miles away) at 0700 the next morning for a new set of temporary tags. He showed up, and after an hour trying to explain why we don't have plates he finally gets us a new set of temps and off we go.
Driving through Tennessee in a driving rainstorm and the windshield wipers stop working. I look at it, try and figure it out, no luck. Turns out the aftermarket bracket that attaches to the wiper motor sheared completely. Get that fixed in Arkansas so all is well.
Fast forward to last month. A little back story: I live in my RV during the week and go home in the weekends (I'm active duty Navy, stationed about 2 hours from my house on a good day). So we don't do a lot of trips in the RV (yet).
Last month, we (4 adults and 3 dogs) pile into RV to go see family in Arkansas.
Don't even get out of VA when RV completely stops working. (For lots of detail, see my post under THOR BCC failure). Long story short, two nights in hotel, a rental uhaul pickup, a rental minivan and a week at Hungry Mother State Park in Mation, Va comes out of my pocket, plus a $938 repair bill (THOR is working with me on the repair bill). Why? Because tHOR issued a safety defect recall on my RV in JUNE 2013! And DIXIE RV says they aren't responsible for notifying anybody about it; they don't have to register the sale of used RV's (which is true).... But THOR tells me DIXIE got an email and a letter about the recall in July 2013. 4 months after I bought it! And I never heard about it.
I've called DIXIE numerous times (last time in 15 June); the first times I was reassured they would "make it right" when their GM gets in.
As of today, no response to voicemails. So, long story short, I've contacted the NHTSA, the FTC, and the Better Business Bureau to try and recoup at least some of my losses thanks to their negligence. I can't get the extra week of leave I had to take back, it's gone for good.
Bottom line: if you live in Virginia and want to buy an RV, RUN from Dixie RV Superstore in Newport News, Va!
Old 06-24-2015, 09:41 PM   #8

A sugestion to any and all future purchasers of ANY RV, if it needs to be fixed after you have fully inspected the RV and tested ALL of its equipment and functions, then, and ONLY then pay for the RV. Pretty simple and basic and saves a mountain of headaches later.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:56 AM   #9

A further suggestion to anyone that buys a used RV: go to safercar.org and check your VIN for any recalls that may be in effect!
Old 06-26-2015, 07:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Did you have the 5th Wheel inspected by an independent inspector. I would think that all of these things may have been found to be problems before you made the purchase. Just because it is coming from a dealer does not mean that they know about or even looked for any of these issues. Seems like by the time you ended up correcting the issues, depending on the deal you got originally, you could have probably bought new. I think that a lot of people who have major issues with their RV's trade them in at a dealer just so they don't have to worry about who buys it and inherits their problems. They just figure the dealer will fix everything which is usually not the case. Some dealers you can't even trust on a New RV purchase to make things right, so I don't know why people think they will be taken care of by the dealer when buying a used RV. Either way it is not the right way to conduct business.
I was not aware there were people that did that. Where do you find them? I did the best inspection I could on my own with what I've learned on twice in two days, but it can be challenging when you're emotionally invested.

One thing I learned, if they won't let you see something, walk away, in my case I was told I couldn't get on the roof. I asked if the roof was in good condition and told them I had to approve it before I took ownership.

Thanks for a little more education on the lifestyle I love
Old 06-26-2015, 08:44 AM   #11

Seems like the whole RV industry is not to be trusted for quality and service.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:07 AM   #12
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
After buying 6 coaches in 5 years, I learned you don't trust anyone but yourself.
One of the first things I do with a prospective purchase is Google the model for recalls, then follow up to see if they are done and ask for proof.
Importing requires all recalls be done.
I've only really got stung on one buy and I can only blame myself for not being more diligent. In the end, anything I end up with, ultimately, is my responsibility.
If you're not savvy with all the workings of the unit you are about to buy, search out and hire an independent RV surveyor. While they may also not catch everything, at least you've done your homework and have a bit more piece of mind knowing you've done all you can.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:08 AM   #13

It's always a crap shoot when buying used. But I've done well when buying from a private seller. From a dealer you have no idea where it came from, or whether any kind of maint. has been done. At least you usually won't get any maint. records. When we sell ours the new owner will get a stack of records. I don't throw anything away.

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer