Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2005, 08:03 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I had a plug to melt from low voltage at the National Rally in June. I paid extra for insurance to cover things like this. The total bill was a little over $100 for which they said noproblem, they would pay it. So far I have no received a dime. Calls to the agency say it on the owners desk and all he got to do is sign the check. I called the owner and he was not in and no call back. I will be changing agents and maybe insurance companies. Most of my trouble is from this woman that just started there. I left the last insurance company because of her and fifteen years later here she is.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2005, 08:03 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I had a plug to melt from low voltage at the National Rally in June. I paid extra for insurance to cover things like this. The total bill was a little over $100 for which they said noproblem, they would pay it. So far I have no received a dime. Calls to the agency say it on the owners desk and all he got to do is sign the check. I called the owner and he was not in and no call back. I will be changing agents and maybe insurance companies. Most of my trouble is from this woman that just started there. I left the last insurance company because of her and fifteen years later here she is.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:56 AM   #3

What insurance company is it?

Matthew
Ernhrts3n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:21 AM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Nationwide
Old 10-04-2005, 09:47 AM   #5

Nationwide must be too busy doing more commercials with M.C. Hammer (who?).

"Nationwide is on yo side!"

2005 Honda CRV
TriumphDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:18 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I had Farm Bureau 15 years ago and this one woman worked for them. Now she has moved to Nationwide and I am again having problems. I was told wrong things before by her. When I payed my bill back in August there she was I never had any problems before and think Nationwide is a good company they have four more agents to chose from
Old 10-04-2005, 03:19 PM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Hey Tom,

Sorry to hear that Nationwide is jerking you around on your claim. Have you considering calling or emailing our State Insurance Commissioner, Jim Long, and registering a complaint?

<span class="ev_code_RED">North Carolina Department of Insurance
1201 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1201
800-JIM LONG (800-546-5664) - in North Carolina Only
consumer@ncdoi.net

</span>
Old 10-05-2005, 11:49 AM   #8

To my limited knowledge (I'm a life agent since 1975), Property & Casualty agencies pay small claims out of their pockets in one form or another (year-end bonuses may be reduced from the carriers).

If all the facts and forms have been properly delivered to the agent, then I have to say (in layman terms) your chain is being jerked.

Having stated that, if you and your agent are in the areas recently ravaged by Katrina or Rita then the agent is up to his eyeballs in claims.

I'd send the agent a REGISTERED letter demanding payment within 5 or 10 business days. State in the letter that if payment is not received during that time you will file a written compaint with the Insurance Commissioner in your state of residence. Don't send an empty threat, though. Contact the Insurance Department of your state and request the necessary forms in advance.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:03 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
What ever happen to wanting my business? They have lost it. I have the house, car, truck and fiver with them. I was also thinking about putting some insurance on a new boat. Not now!!
Tom
Old 10-05-2005, 04:29 PM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What ever happen to wanting my business? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,

I don't think the insurance companies or their agents really care any more whether they keep their customers or not.
They own the market with all the business and legal requirements that apply to consumers to buy their insurance products.

Most states require us all to buy auto insurance to get a registration, mortgage companies require policies on our houses or they won't loan you the money, our tort system requires we all have some liability insurance if we want to keep our assets intact after a lawsuit, and who would dare be without some medical insurance these days?

The agents are probably turning down more policies than they are writing. When I lived in Florida and the rates shot up dramatically after Hurricane Andrew, I decided to shop around for a better rate. Gee-sh, most of them wouldn't even quote a price, much less give a better rate saying they weren't writing any new policies. I suspect we'll see more of the same in the aftermath of Katrina and Rita.

Insurance companies are first in line to collect their premiums and last in line to pay out a claim. I think the world would be a better place if insurance companies never started and we all stood our own losses.

Oh, did I mention that I despise insurance companies?
Old 10-05-2005, 05:19 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
We have our insurance through AARP, The Hartford. I cannot say enough good about them. When the tree came down and did a bit under $10,000 damage to our RV, they beat us to the dealer. The dealer called and said the insurance man was there wanting to see our trailer. He spent many days out taking a look at the quality of the work being done. When the bill ended up an extra $3,000 from the original quote of $6,000, he wrote a check immediately to us. The insurance company we have the house with, made us dance and dance to claim the damage to the house from the same tree. We'll be switching everything over to Hartford.
We just bought a new car, and they were immediate in faxing the info the car dealership needed..always polite on the phone. Like I said, I can't say enough good about them..and the savings in insurance cost was a plus as well!
Old 10-05-2005, 06:15 PM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Thanks Doris, I am looking for a new insurance company. I hate to do it but he does not have time to return a call or send the check. He does not need my business.
Tom
Old 10-06-2005, 03:56 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Doris, we had AARP-Hartford for a few years and when we bought the 1 ton dually with a GVWR of 11,500# they no longer wanted to insure my truck. No way will they insure it as they consider it a commerical vehicle. SO they lost all of my business. My local independent agent put together a package for house, car, truck and trailer that beat what we had by several hbundred $$$ a year.

So you do need to shop.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 04:39 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Hmmm..we have commercial plates, and they never said anything about not insuring us. We get several quotes yearly (everyone seems to want our biz) and so far this has been the best rates..maybe it depends on where you live. I know the service is great. We bought a new car this month, and I got a call this morning (on a Saturday) to ask me was I sure I wanted to change my deductible on the collision from $200 to $500, since the difference was only $4 a year. I of course said nope..put it back to the $200!