Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-26-2015, 10:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Bad weather

Watching the weather last couple of days and wondering what to do in bad weather, such as tornado's, high wind or dust storms when traveling in the motor homes?

larryjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2015, 10:23 PM   #2
I pick up all my gear, close up the awnings, batten down the hatches, lock the door and find substantial cover.

Or I do all above and stay if no chance to find cover.

Then just shut things down as best I can so I don't get Lightning / surge power hit. Unplug from the "pedestal"

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:16 PM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The local news, weather channel, and weather radio are my travel companions.
I have been fortunate or lucky and have been able to avoid heading into bad weather conditions and headed out before it arrived.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:31 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree with whats already been posted. I also have my phone set to alert me to weather warnings.
Brian and Tammy
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35K
Mercury Mariner Hybrid
Blue Ox Baseplate, Blue Ox Tow Bar, Patriot Braking
Brian W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:29 PM   #5
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In tornado country we pack a bail out/takeaway bag with quite a bit of stuff in it. We make sure we know where the RV park shelter is (if there is one, often it is just the bathhouse) then I watch the radar picture on my laptop. Weather underground used to show arrows on the cells so you could see direction and get info on speed, and whether is has the requirements to produce rotating winds.
After that we just sat and worried a lot.

The last time this happened to us we had to be in Gainesville TX because my mother was very ill and was expected to pass away at any time.
She did and after everything was being settled several tornadoes touched down and did damage in the area ,we gladly left that area as soon as we could.

My wife is from OK and I am a Texan so we grew up worrying about tornadoes and going to the storm cellar.
That three weeks in Gainesville brought it all back and we decided that when we came off the road we were not going to buy a house where tornadoes occur.

They are extremely rare in western CO and that is where we are.
Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #6
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since living thru a direct hit in a rv park from a tornado and totally our Winnebago while laying on the floor inside, I either ( depending on time of year) go north out of tornado alley or very south into the southwest. Will not visit tornado country again.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:36 PM   #7
I remember some years ago my wife daughter and grandson went on a summer vacation in Myrtle Beach. I can't remember the year but the storm that came through had three tornados touch down in that area during the summer storm.

One touched down a campground over from ours as we actually watched the funnel form and come down. We jumped in the truck and headed for the nearest block building which was a bathhouse and went into the interior of the structure.

Sad fact is that a lot of people actually jumped in their cars and headed for the exit of the campground all at once causing a traffic jam trying to escape. Thank the lord no one was injured.
Jim & Toni
2013 Sportcoach 405FK
2012 Jeep Liberty
Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:04 PM   #8
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
I pick up all my gear, close up the awnings, batten down the hatches, lock the door and find substantial cover.

Or I do all above and stay if no chance to find cover.

Then just shut things down as best I can so I don't get Lightning / surge power hit. Unplug from the "pedestal"
I am glad Larryjeans asked this question. I would have done as cwf has stated except, "unplug". Did not think about "The Possible Surge". .
Bilgerat: Chuck, Kassie, Freddie, Lady, Prince, Smokey, Merlin
2000 Pace Arrow Vision 36', V-10, Banks, Onan 5500, Blue Ox, 2014 Forester, SKP 130599, FT'ing 2+Yrs.
Bilgerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:58 PM   #9
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
While on a lengthy trip last spring, we encountered the tornado that ripped thru Mayflower, Arkansas killing at least 16 people. We were one exit away, and other than knowing it was raining outside, had no idea of the tornado warning.

We found a weather app that alerts us to all bad weather, and on the way home encountered yet another tornado in Dumas, Texas. Luckily, the weather app beeped, and we were only a mile or so from a Super Walmart. We pulled into the parking lot, and ran inside. They herded everybody into the "safe" area in the back, and within minutes the tornado damaged the roof of the store. Water was pouring thru the roof, and several houses behind the store were destroyed. We learned our lesson.

Just be wary of the weather, and have a plan. We would never not go somewhere because of inclement weather, heck getting in an accident is much more likely! We noticed newer rest areas in north Texas along hwy 287 that advertise having tornado shelters. A few years ago, we saw a news report out of Denver where a man that decided to stay in his moho was killed in a tornado. I think it was near the town of Superior.

Like another poster said, we grew up in Texas so tornadoes were a part of our life. Everybody had a plan and paid attention to the weather. Now that we live in Colorado, we are aware of several tornadoes in the past 2 years that destroyed moho's near Lake George. Luckily, nobody was killed, due to having a plan and taking shelter. Not much else you can do.

Bruce & Judy, living the dream in Salida, CO!
2005 Nat'l Dolphin W22 Chassis, 2004 Jeep Liberty
"Let's Roll 'em, Let's Roll 'em!"
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:25 PM   #10
My CB radio has the weather channels for the entire U.S.A. When we are driving and the weather turn sour, I listen to the weather on the CB while DW is figuring out where to park and seek shelter. When on the road, truck stops, shopping centers, restaurants, etc are better than staying in the RV.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote