Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2019, 07:49 AM   #15

Here's an update, late yesterday we started checking the neutral wires in the camper breaker panel. When we removed the neutral for the living room breaker everything worked fine except for that circuit, the main ground was no longer hot.
carl oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2019, 07:50 AM   #16

Does it trip if the shore power cord is disconnected from the trailer?
Old 04-18-2019, 07:50 AM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In the years that I have troubleshot this type issue, I find it rarely is caused by the breaker. Yours is doing it's job, tripping and resetting. How did you determine the ground is hot? Sparks or meter reading?

Other have noted you possibly have a n/g short. This is a serious issue in your trailer or house. I suspect the heating element rod of the water heater.

Let us know.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl oh View Post
Here's an update, late yesterday we started checking the neutral wires in the camper breaker panel. When we removed the neutral for the living room breaker everything worked fine except for that circuit, the main ground was no longer hot.
I'm confused. In your original post you stated that you opened the main breaker in the trailer and it was still tripping. If you opened the main breaker that should have isolated everything in the trailer.

If you have a fault on an individual circuit in the trailer then the breaker supplying that circuit should trip unless it's faulty. Try opening the breaker for the circuit in question and see if that clears the fault.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
Does it trip if the shore power cord is disconnected from the trailer?
no, it does not
Old 04-18-2019, 08:20 AM   #20

update

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
In the years that I have troubleshot this type issue, I find it rarely is caused by the breaker. Yours is doing it's job, tripping and resetting. How did you determine the ground is hot? Sparks or meter reading?
meter reading
Other have noted you possibly have a n/g short. This is a serious issue in your trailer or house. I suspect the heating element rod of the water heater.
heating element? can you explain, i dont run the water heater on electric, only propane. The electric switch is locked off and i have never turned it on
Let us know.
i will
Old 04-18-2019, 08:25 AM   #21

Quote:
I'm confused. In your original post you stated that you opened the main breaker in the trailer and it was still tripping. If you opened the main breaker that should have isolated everything in the trailer.
you are absolutely right, thats why im confused
If you have a fault on an individual circuit in the trailer then the breaker supplying that circuit should trip unless it's faulty. Try opening the breaker for the circuit in question and see if that clears the fault.
it does not. The electrician (which is my neighbor) is baffled about this.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:27 AM   #22

He told me to replace the main breaker in the camper he thinks it might of lost one one of the legs. Will update later.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:03 AM   #23

Quote:
it does not. The electrician (which is my neighbor) is baffled about this.
The main breaker, or any breaker for that matter, only disconnects the hot (usually black) wire. Neutral and ground are not impacted by the state of the breaker.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #24

Quote:
He told me to replace the main breaker in the camper he thinks it might of lost one one of the legs. Will update later.
He should break out his meter and do a few quick checks instead of rebuilding the entire electrical system in your trailer piece by piece......
Old 04-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #25

Quote:
So your electrician is just guessing and not using a meter???? Seriously? He can check the breaker with the continuity side of his meter. No electricity required.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:16 AM   #26

Quote:
He should break out his meter and do a few quick checks instead of rebuilding the entire electrical system in your trailer piece by piece......
Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	242529
Old 04-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #27

Quote:
I guess you electrician must have sleped at a Holiday Inn once.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:21 AM   #28

Do you have an inverter is it on if so check for fault codes

Your electrician could have easily checked the main breaker with an ohmmeter for continuity to eliminate it as a probable cause

(disconnect from shore power )

using an ohmmeter check from ground to neutral in camper panel
you should not have any continuity from ground to N in the panel
if you do
remove all neutral wires from neutral bar
check for continuity from each neutral to ground bar
if you find one with continuity that is the circuit you will have to look at closer
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, led, problem