Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
In your writeup, you mention having a bad neutral.

What did you find that leads you to this decision? continuity and when we hooked that wire on the ceiling fan it tripped the main breaker, then we bypassed that line by running a seperate direct line and it worked fine

I still think you have some loose connections somewhere in the loom or breaker panel. I agree

What work or mods were performed prior to all of this happening, if any?
None
Why is the table light 120V? Most are 12V from the factory. Was it added later?
There are 2 lights in that are one is 12v other is 120v original factory

Sorry have to ask so many questions, just trying to understand what happened and the permanent repair.

Please check for hot skin periodically.
thanks
carl oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2019, 10:47 AM   #44

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl oh View Post
thanks
Great that you are on the trail to discovery. Keep at it! Trailers and RV's can be a bear to find the issues. But find them you will.

Note: your ceiling fan could be the problem. Check the motor leads.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:53 AM   #45

Sounds like you may have “inadvertently” repaired the loose wire issue during the hooking up the jumper and redoing the original connection.
Hoppy220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:30 AM   #46

so what happened ?
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:58 PM   #47

Exclamation possible black/white wires are reversed on the living rm circuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
The main breaker, or any breaker for that matter, only disconnects the hot (usually black) wire. Neutral and ground are not impacted by the state of the breaker.
If the living room circuit has the black (hot) and white (neutral) wires reversed on that breaker, then the breaker is opening the neutral and the fault on the black wire still goes to ground (green)
wjbryans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:34 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
its getting hard to follow this just a shot in the dark but sounds like it could be bad wires in the loom to the slide were they flex as in move in and out. any bare wires showing maybe a rodent got to them .BUT what happened to the hot ground wire?
Jay D.
Most likely the issue if it mysteriously went away.
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:41 PM   #49

Power can be a pisser

Here’s my take on your situation. You have isolated the problem to the wiring between your 5w connector and the breaker panel. With power disconnected and breakers off remove the main panel cover and follow the wiring to look for an overheated or chaffed wire shorting to ground. Do the same for the female outlet into which you plug your shore line. Travel and vibration may have found a way to short your hot line to the frame or to the ground wire. I had a burned connection at my converter box that caused a short. It took a while to find but once fixed everything now works.
Be careful with your service power most 30 amp systems are 120 volt and not 220 as might be thought given the plugs and outlets we see. A mistaken connection to a 220 home circuit will quickly blow the converter for your 12volt lights and fixtures.
Geosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:38 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl oh View Post
I replaced the cord from shore power to camper still trips
carl oh;
Are you sure the outlet (house end) is wired correctly? I concur with the other posts that it appears to be a ground fault. If it trips when the 30AM to 50A F dogbone adapter is plugged in then I would suspect an outlet being miswired. If you can test the outlet with a multimeter, I think you should find the error. If you are unsure of using a voltmeter, you could pick up a 30A to 15A adapter block and an 3 light outlet tester. Just plug it in and see what the lights tell you. The tester should read the same as from an outlet inside your house.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and see what you post. ... Swampy
Swampy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:58 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Light over the table is 120 volts
So is the ceiling fan and the outlet.
trayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:36 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy220 View Post
Sounds like you may have “inadvertently” repaired the loose wire issue during the hooking up the jumper and redoing the original connection.
A loose wire most likely would not make the ground wire hot, that's a serous problem and needs to be figured out
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:49 PM   #53

You might have a problem with the transfer switch it converter, and the inverter if it has one. Think of electricity as a river and work your way upstream and you'll find your problem. A set of wiring diagrams would help.
bird6465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:57 PM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
All - If I was a betting man, I suspect he had a lose connection, which inadvertently was fixed with all the checking and putting back together. My MH new, in 08, friend told me about IRV2 then, so I started reading posts about my model. Found out the Electrical QA was horrible, so having some electrical training then, took it upon myself to check, every electrical connection on the 120V AC and 12V DC connections, over 65% of them were lose. I suggest to all annually, you check all of them, as we own "earthquakes going down the road". When I got to the Genset to house connection, one of the wire nuts just fell out of the box, they used the wrong size for that connection. I put the correct ones on, used Scotch 33 Rubber Tape, then Scotch 88 over that, they won't come lose again.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:16 PM   #55

Obviously you have a short. Don't just turn off a rv breaker but pull the breakers one at a time until you ground is not longer hot. This doesn't mean the breaker is bad, but that somewhere in that circuit there is the short. It could be a wire chewed by a mouse, a bad outlet or any item on that circuit. Start at the nearest application in the circuit, discount the wires from the breaker, reinstall the breaker and recheck for a short. If there is no short move on to the next application and repeat the process. Once you have a short again the short is between that application and the previous application. If the previous application is an outlet replace that outlet. If you still have a short then the wire has shorted. Sometime this is caused by a mouse chewing on you wire. However i have heard of a staple in the wire and it not shorting until later after all the shaking of moving down the road. Good luck.
rkbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:36 AM   #56

You can NEVER have a hot ground - that's really dangerous!

Here's what I'd try...
1) Flip all the breakers in your vehicle off.
2) Flip them on, one at a time and check to see if the main breaker has flipped. If it hasn't, turn that breaker back off and proceed to the next breaker.
3) If (hopefully when) you flip a breaker on, and the main breaker trips, then you've found the faulty circuit. Investigate it, and find the fault. In any case, LEAVE IT OFF until you've found and fixed the fault.

This is dangerous. If you've got a hot ground, you can get electrocuted! Please be careful!
velocity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, led, problem