RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2019, 06:04 AM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
It's a mystery that resolved itself ...

Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2019, 06:53 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Alen View Post
temporarily. It will return.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:05 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Alen View Post
I had a lengthy phone conversation with the OP. I helped him find The J-box to the slide. I think he then found a second j-box this the other end of the flex cord going to the slide. The problem is now he has fooled with and moved so many wires that the problem has gone away by itself. I'm sure it will return at a very inconvenient time but know I believe he has a better understanding of how things are wired.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:08 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I had a lengthy phone conversation with the OP. I helped him find The J-box to the slide. I think he then found a second j-box this the other end of the flex cord going to the slide. The problem is now he has fooled with and moved so many wires that the problem has gone away by itself. I'm sure it will return at a very inconvenient time but know I believe he has a better understanding of how things are wired.
Thank you for helping him.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:27 AM   #61

Thanks everyone for your concerns and suggestions, i have stopped working on this, only because i don't know what else to do and everything is working. I have tried all your suggestions but it is difficult to do anything now because everything is working. I am not satisfied with the results because like i said "i didnt fix anything" so it most likely can happen again. Like i said earlier we isolated the problem as the circuit for the "living room", so i have some relief as to if and when the problem reoccurs and i am on the road if i disconnect that circuit everything else will work.

I wont be updating this post any longer, thanks again everyone.....

A special thanks to Cavie for spending time with me on the phone.

One last thing after putting everything back together i decided to replace the wires that travel with the slide out that go from the outside junction box to inside junction box, the old ones tested good but those are the only ones that move.
carl oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:01 AM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Cavie your a good man taking your time in helping a fellow member, one of the reason why this site is so popular ...

G-D bless you and yours.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:17 AM   #63

Ceiling Fan Suspect Has Not Been Ruled Out

You may want to pull apart the motor housing for your ceiling fan and check whether the internal wiring has been rubbing against the motor shaft and worn through the insulation. If the installer was sloppy or just plain lazy, they may not have tucked the excess wire back into the ceiling or secured it such that it wouldn't dangle down.

These short circuits tend to be somewhat intermittent as the short can temporarily disappear when the fan rotates.
DAWg134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:53 AM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
You most likely have a direct line to ground short between where you plug into camper and your camper panel.
Randy3282001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:44 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
if the RV main is off and you apply power to the 30 amp power cord and it trips then the problem is between the Trailer main and the sore power breaker. Forget all other combinations. Unplug the 30 amp cord from the Trailer. Plug in sore power. If it trips then the problem is not in the Trailer. See where we are going here? Examine the receptacle in the side of your Trailer. Remove it and look behind. I'm betting the problem is with the sore power cord connection the trailer. Probably just plugged in and not twisted and the locking ring applied.

I agree with this. Furthermore before you jump to replace your house breaker plug some other appliance into it such as a heat gun or an electric heater. By bet is it wont trip. But if it does it is your house breaker.
BTFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:21 PM   #66
Bo

Lots of thoughts and good suggestions but it seems everyone is thinking a hard short between hot(black) and ground or neutral. I didn't see a reply to whether the house breaker was GFCI or a conventional breaker. If is a GFCI breaker it will trip with only 10 ma imbalance in currents flowing in hot and neutral. That imbalance can easily be produced by moisture in a fixture or J box. I have had it happen during wet/rainy weather. Just another thought.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:07 PM   #67

I think you need to get some help with your problem by someone who is familiar with electrical wiring. You seem to be dealing with something that you know not much about.
That is always very dangerous.
youngf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:35 PM   #68

Carl, don't know if you found the source of your problem yet but. I would ring out (test) each wire to the ground with your meter set on resistance (ohms) or audible. If you get the "audible" from your ground wire to a "hot" wire ie. black or red wire, then you know that the ground wire is shorted to that colored wire. Do the same thing, testing each wire to a known ground. BTW make sure you are not powered up or plugged into any power source for this test. This is prove or rule out a Dead short in that configuration anyway. There are a few other simple tests that I can offer you to try. Hope this helps.
Grafton Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:17 AM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a similar problem with my 2005 Winnebago class A. It immediately tripped breakers on the shore power, and would immediately shut down the generator. I found 2 problems. First was that the GFCI circuit in the bedroom had shorted(melted) and was causing a ground fault. After replacing the GFCI receptacle, I was able to plug in without tripping breakers in the house.
A few weeks later I started tripping breakers again! Of course I checked the GFCI circuit again...no problem! It turned out to be my air conditioner that time! The start up amperage on my A/C was excessive (like 60 Amps on a 30 Amp system!)! I cleaned everything and replaced capacitors with no improvement. I finally determined that my A/C compressor was bad. After replacing the unit I solved the problem. Although I am still tweaking the system so I can use my A/C on an inverter, my RV works great on shore power and generator now.
covered.wago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:23 AM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I may have missed it, but please explain your 30 amp connection in the house. I presume it is a dedicated 110 volt RV circuit (hot-neutral-ground) and not a typical old style 30 amp 220 volt three wire dryer circuit which is hot-hot-ground/neutral?

CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, led, problem