Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bank Financing: No more Full-Timers?

I have heard this from two RV sales stores. Banks are no longer financing full-timers in excess of $150k and without a financial asset statement to back it up.

I know of a large RV sales store who just eliminated any and all diesel pushers since banks are no longer financing over $150k and no more full-timers (so they said). New government laws that went into effect this year, forces banks not to finance full-timers with some restrictions.

Credit Unions may still finance them.

Does anyone know about this?
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #2

And so they shouldn't. It's not a right for everyone to own a $150,000 RV and or home for that matter. It's about time the government had put some restrictions out there. On a whole this makes sense for the idea that those that can't really afford it will not be able to get themselves into more trouble financially, well it does to me anyway.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlocanPaul View Post
And so they shouldn't. It's not a right for everyone to own a $150,000 RV and or home for that matter. It's about time the government had put some restrictions out there. On a whole this makes sense for the idea that those that can't really afford it will not be able to get themselves into more trouble financially, well it does to me anyway.
the more the govt protects me the less safe i feel
thank God my hard work has provided me well and i do not need to finance my life style
brianj
Old 02-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #4

I believe if you have the money and good credit you should be able to buy whatever your heart desires if what I've read is true it should kill the slightly used db market also.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

No conspiracy here - just an unintended consequence of a new banking regulation.

The government doesn't care what fulltimers finance or how much money the spend on their rigs. However, they do require that banks escrow the first years insurance and taxes on any mortgage loan, and that NOW (recent change) includes RVs. For a fulltime RVer, that raises the question of what jurisdiction, if any, they should be paying taxes to. The federal banking regulation is written for conventional fixed property mortgages and is unclear about how banks should handle movable property where the owner's domicile state may be somewhere other than where the property was bought, and also different than where it currently parked. Lacking any approved procedures for such loans, the banks just decided they wouldn't make any like that. Note that they are not required to ask if the borrower is a fulltimer, so "don't ask, don't tell" logic seems to apply.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Banks are requiring financial statements to back up all loans now and they should have been doing that all along. If they had we would not be in this economic downturn. I recently renewed some business notes and I was asked for more detail than ever before but with proper documentation I'm good to go another 5 years.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
I am the owner of a small. Less than 3 mil. in sales company. I had a very hard time getting my deal done. But I got it done. In NC, Bank of America has my loan as a AUTO LOAN. Yes the amount financed was just 90K. And I am not sure if the interest will be deductable. I still own a stick home. But no income verification loans where not a good thing in hind site...IMHO... D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #8

Does anyone know how this would effect us potential buyers who do not want to full time but just use it a lot of time? I would like to trade up in a year or two but would probably stay with what I have if the other economic shoe drops.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have noticed my closest RV dealer doesn't stock any pushers anymore. You have to pre-order them. A few years ago you would see 4-5 pushers and 6-7 high end 5ers in the front row of the dealerships road frontage. Now you might see one pre-bought pusher sitting in the back lot. For years you would see the lot packed full of RV's, now the last few years it might be half full at best.....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I posted this article in Sept 2010 with a resounding thud, or well.

New federal regulations to limit loans to full-time RVers > RV Daily Report |

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #11

Interesting conversation. We just bought a used unit for a bit over 150K (with sales tax and 4 year warranty) with 10% down. Three lenders declined, but B of A (You remember them - One of the "troubled" banks) approved it. We each have credit scores of 800 and a decent income. No mention was made of full-timing.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:52 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
If the amount loaned was under 150k, then you're okay. The link posted above explains why the inacted loan laws for 2011 will have a major impact on the RV industry. And not a positive one. As for full-timers, the government doesn't like people not paying property taxes and who can move around at will. It's harder for them to pin you down. They like to keep people in a tight IRS box. Freedom? RV'ers have a little more of it.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:51 AM   #13
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
I have heard this from two RV sales stores. Banks are no longer financing full-timers in excess of $150k and without a financial asset statement to back it up...
This is actually an improvement from the previous iRV2 thread on this subject. The previous thread said NO financing for full-timers. I have no problem with banks trying to reduce their risk.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
It's called "The camels nose under the tent".

If you don't know what that means, use Google.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote