Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #1

Banking

We are about to become fulltimer here in the next couple months and starting the process of domicile. But we are confessed by the banking. Our tax man tells us we need to cut all ties here in CA. our goal is to domicile in SD but they do not have B of A . We really do not want to change banks since we have all our online billing set up. I'm sure we are not the first to come across this problem. Thanks for your help.
trimnailsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 05:24 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
B of A willo want your dimicile address. Other than that there is no need to move your accounts.
We are full timers and ours are in NC.
The one thing you will need to do is notify B of A when you are traveling for more than a month. If you card shows too many purchases in different locations/states, they will put a stop on it. Then you will have to get a new card. Been there, done that.
It can be avoided by simply calling your branch every 30 days, letting them know you are still traveling.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:35 PM   #3

Our bank is strictly in the mid west but our domicile is in FL and continue to use our old branch office vie phone and mail. No problems at all, none, nada, zip. I don't think your tax man understands the concept of full timing and federal banking.
Unless there is some special California rule or law, it could happen after all it is California, you do not need to change your local bank.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:51 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My credit union is in MI only. Our vehicles are registered in CA. We see the VA in CA and any meds gets sent to FL. Our forwarding address is in FL. So all our mail from any place gets sent to FL and a couple of times a month we have them send things to us where ever that might be. The forwarding service also takes care of junk mail so we don't see it.

I will gladly pay the yearly rate plus postage to not have to worry about having the mail sent to family members and them not sending things onto us, been there and done that several times. I will also gladly pay to make sure it is a way more stable address instead of changing it every few weeks or months.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:47 PM   #5

As you can see you also need a new tax man that is up to date.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
B of A willo want your dimicile address. Other than that there is no need to move your accounts.
We are full timers and ours are in NC.
The one thing you will need to do is notify B of A when you are traveling for more than a month. If you card shows too many purchases in different locations/states, they will put a stop on it. Then you will have to get a new card. Been there, done that.
It can be avoided by simply calling your branch every 30 days, letting them know you are still traveling.
Since your doing on line banking with B of A you can do the notification online at B of A once you log in. I believe it is the same place you setup alerts.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
"B of A willo want your dimicile address."

B of A will want your mailing address.

Now if you are going to defect from your current state,then you will need to change drivers license, voter registration and what would look good is to have your wills in your new state.

To do the drivers license and voter card, you will need to stay in a campground and you will use that address as your "residence". Your mailing address is that of your mail service.

Piece of cake. We left CA in '02 and moved to SD. We kept our house in CA up until the end of the tax exempt period and then we sold it. We kept a good set of records as to where we spent time in order to prove our out of CA time. We did get a few letters from the CA tax board wanting to know why we hadn't paid our state income taxes. A few letters back and fourth got things straight, we didn't owe any taxes to CA.

BTW, we have bank accounts in TX,SD and WA.

Any questions, shoot me a PM
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:27 PM   #8

Left Fl over a yr ago and kept our bank. No need for a local branch. Charge everything and pay $5 occasionally to use an ATM. Maybe I'll get Wells Fargo some day since we're staying West.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm going to defend your tax man here... although as mentioned you only have to change the address on your bank account and not change banks.

I left California to go full time in 2009. I didn't do anything to notify them I had left, just re-registered our vehicles in Texas and moved on.

For three years, California hounded me for state income tax they said I owed for 2010 and 2011... simply because my financial planner/manager was based in California. I got it straightened out eventually but it was a real pain. My tax guy had to finally have a call with them and explained that we had a detailed paper trail of our whereabouts ever since we left via Quicken records. We had only spent a couple of weeks in California over the period in question.

I can't swear to it, but I seem to remember hearing that California had a tax form to fill out notifying them that you have moved from the state. If true, this could save a lot of hassle.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:32 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is an interesting article on Leaving California
Trying to Leave California? Maybe Not: An Overview of California Residency Rules
rdrv831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:04 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Get the info straight from the FTB, scroll down to "Resident" https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/Topic_I...ications.shtml

Lots of examples and information.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #12

Thanks all for taking the time to help us out and for your all advice.
trimnailsc is offline   Reply With Quote