Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Bar Harbour, ME

Planning a trip from Orange Beach, AL to Bar Harbour, leaving late may and spend June in the area.

Any recommendations on parks, sights (there or on way) or any other recommendations we might find useful?

I already know the rule: "take half as many clothes and twice as much money as you think you need".

Thanks.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2009, 04:32 PM   #2

In Bar Harbor the best may be the Moorings 1. and there is a nice KOA there. In early June you need 3/4 of the clothes and 3 times the money
JESCARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:36 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Dadeaux:
Planning a trip from Orange Beach, AL to Bar Harbour, leaving late may and spend June in the area.

Any recommendations on parks, sights (there or on way) or any other recommendations we might find useful?

I already know the rule: "take half as many clothes and twice as much money as you think you need".

Thanks.

We were there last year( Mid-May to June 2).. Nice place to visit. Give yourself plenty of time to visit and plenty of time to spend in Acadia NP. Enjoy the lobsters ( especially the lobster pound at the Trenton Bridge).

Campgrounds - there are two KOA's, a family place down on hwy 3 there ( Hadleys I think it was) there may be others also. We stayed at Desert Narrows and I would personally not stay there again for what the price was and the condition of the park at that time. There is another nice place we drove thru before the bridge was Narrows Too.. It was much better kept than where we stayed.

06 HR PDQ 40'
crudeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
Edw

On our way back from Nova Scotia we stayed at http://www.palmyra-me.com/
Dont know if this is near where your going but real nice place if you like to golf. Very nice camp ground and people.

Sea Breeze 31'
Edw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Your responses are appreciated. I am logging the locations into my GPS as I get them.

Thanks again.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:49 PM   #6

I must second the notion about the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound. We left Florida and drove 1500 miles and kept saying our destination was the TBLP. Took almost 3 months, but we were not disappointed. It is a great place to eat. In my top 3 of all time. Take the CD tour of the park also. You can go at your own pace and it is very nice.Even in the summer, you can expect some temps down in the 40's. Gets light very, very early also. See photos of Trenton Bridge Loster Pound at link.

http://www.linandnancy.com/barhabor2.html
Old 02-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Do your selves a big favor, see as much coast line as you can. Spend some time on the southern, Mid, and upper coasts. Each region has it's own flavor. Trust me, lobstah is good anywhere in Maine. Check out Searsport Family Campground near Camden Maineon U.S. Rt 1, a great place right on the water. If you go to Bar Harbour, don't mis Scudic Point, its probably the most beautiful sea scape on the east coast. Make sure you give yourselves plenty of time while in Maine.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It will get very crowded by mid June. Well, maybe not..recession and all...

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:45 AM   #9

When we visited there, four years ago we were taught to pronounce it: BAA HAABA

Great area enjoy yourselves..Jack&Rita
Old 02-07-2009, 02:44 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by widowsson68:
When we visited there, four years ago we were taught to pronounce it: BAA HAABA

Great area enjoy yourselves..Jack&Rita
And to think we southerners are accused of omitting the rs.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #11

We were there last year in the late summer. The area is beautiful, you will see stone cliffs into the water that are simply unbelieveable. You might want to buy the book " A moose and a lobster walked into a bar". Great stories as told by the native Mainers. Take the time to meet some of the old fellows down by the docks. They are a wealth of stories and funny tales. Have fun and enjoy the food and scenery.
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:20 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dadeaux,

We have been going to Maine for 4 years. A fabulous journey. Once you get there you will notice the absence of Bill Board signs in the entire state. In their wisdom in the '70's they banned all billboards in the entire State. They want you to enjoy Maine, as it is- rugged and beautiful. US 1 is a bit of a journey, certainly not an Interstate. Just take your time and enjoy your experience. Let the speed nuts and fools get in line behind you. We spend our time in the Booth Bay Harbor Region. There are only two campgrounds left there now, Shore Hills and Gray's. Shore Hills will accomodate a 40 ft rig easily. Gray's, where we stay is another story.

Gray's is on the Ocean, actually the entrance to Booth Bay Harbor. Steven (the owner) Lobster fishes twice a week for the guests. You would be wise to make a reservation well in advance for a 40' rig-- there are only a few spots that will accomodate you-- a few on the ocean. The entire campground is only about 40 sites, including tenters. The views on the ocean sites are spectacular. Most of the Ocean sites are booked a year in advance. PM me if you have any further questions.

I can't comment on Bar Harbor, haven't been there, but everyone that goes to Arcadia loves it.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #13

Have you in mind which way you are going to get to your destination? "The Journey is the best part of the trip", as someone said, but the destination being Maine makes that destination special. We would be happy to offer ideas for routing if you would like.

I would reccommend getting off of Route 95 at the Portsmouth Traffic Circle in New Hampshire and going into Maine on Route One. Go off of Route one onto Route 1A as often as you can, so you will have views of the Coast along the way.
When you stop to buy Lobstahs you should also ask for some Steamer Clams to eat as the Lobsters cook. Savor the Steamer Clam Broth. Better than Clam Chowder when you are eating Clams and drinking the Broth. If you have Lobster in a restaurant you might ask for Steamers with Broth on the side. Yummy for the Tummy.
I have kin on the offshore islands and acquired the habit of Clams and Lobsters before I could walk and have loved the combination ever since!
One can have Lobsters and Clams in various ways so don't just settle for boiled or steamed.
Ask around for Lobster Pie, Baked Stuffed, Bisque, Stewed Lobster, and on and on.

Enjoy your time Down East!

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:24 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
The first leg or our trip will take us further into the heartland, we have a stopover in NE Arkansas then we will head to the NE of the country. Our return is another matter, we will be able to follow the coastline to Florida then connect to I-10 for the western jog home.

Tags
heartland