Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2018, 07:02 AM   #1

Base Camp

I've seem a lot of post advising using Base Camp to lay out a route. I've downloaded Base Camp twice. But have removed it from my computer both times. It doesn't seem to be helpful in trying to lay out routes that avoid gravel and or "shortest routes" that actually take longer in time.
What am I missing in Base Camp?

We are leaving at the end of the month for south Texas and I'd like a new gps by then. From the info I've gotten here, probably a Garmin rv 660 or the 770.
I-wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2018, 07:12 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Base Camp has a pretty large learning curve, but it does work if you learn all the shortcuts with it.

We have the Garmin 770 and love it.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:11 AM   #3

It seems only a small % of folks like Basecamp. I spent a couple of days on it and felt like I had been thrown down a hill covered in blackberry bushes......I am now an official Basecamp hater.

I switched to Furkot and have not looked back. I also don't waste time planning an elaborate route that must be adhered to by simply making an overall trip route. Then I punch in my next destination each day. I use Furkot to look at the overall trip and make sure my gps is giving me the same info I see on the Furkot map.

https://trips.furkot.com/

There are some nice features on Furkot like the campground search radius. Pick a spot on your route, pull up the search radius with your type of camping selected and it shows them all. I use it a lot on the road when Motorcamping on my bike..very handy since I tend to meander and avoid all interstate highways.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:10 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Don't know about Base Camp but wanted to say hello! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Happy New Year!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:21 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I recently bought a new Garman. Still exploring it's features but so far I like it. Worked well on my last trip to Fresno and back to WA. Has a built in dash cam too but I haven't tried it yet.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:49 AM   #6

While I haven't tried it yet, it appears that Furkot requires a PC and WiFi so that reduces its usefulness. My DW uses Google Maps when we travel to make sure my GPS doesn't get us lost. We did have one disagreement between the Garmin and Maps, and she argued for Maps and we ended up on the narrow, steep mountain road from RV hell. I remind her of that when I need to. LOL
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:28 PM   #7

I-wa-

One of the critical settings in Base Camp and the GPS is the "profile." For RV travel, pick the RV profile. You can modify the profile in certain ways, including "fastest route" or "shortest route," etc.

I have read it's important to set Base Camp and the GPS to the same profile values. If you don't, when you transfer a route from Base Camp to the GPS it's possible (even likely) that the GPS will calculate a new, different route, based on its profile.

Once you've tailored the profile(s), setting a route between two points in Base Camp is not that difficult. I usually do it in the much-hated "Trip Planner" Base Camp function.

You can also create a route in Google Maps and transfer it to Base Camp, and then to the GPS. Some folks find this easier than using Base Camp to create the route.

Base Camp takes some getting used to, but once mastered it is an OK planning tool.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:07 PM   #8

I have spent a few sessions on RV Trip planner and V5 seems to be pretty nice. It does require an internet connection and it is $40/yr but the features and planning tools seem to be good. I have heard that the company that owns iRV2 also owns that software company so they can definitely get some feedback from here.
Reviews place it up near the top of planning tools - check it out.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-wa View Post
What am I missing in Base Camp?

We are leaving at the end of the month for south Texas and I'd like a new gps by then. From the info I've gotten here, probably a Garmin rv 660 or the 770.
I have the Garmin 660 and really like it but so far have not taken the time to use Base Camp. I was hoping that your question might get some good responses, but thus far it seems to only attract those with alternative programs. I will be watching here as I need to learn Base Camp also.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:52 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What I have done, and what I plan to do some more of, is use the tutorials that Base Camp provides. They go through the use of it pretty clearly but being old I tend to forget if I don't use it for a while.

Try them.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Route planning I use Google for the overall route. Then in segments set in destinations in the GPS, we are kinda fly by night in that plans change ofen but overall route is basically the same. We seem to always find side trips or looking out the window change to lets go see that or camp there or ????

LEN