Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-07-2015, 08:07 PM   #1
Basement A/C Cools To Set Temp Then Shuts Off & Won't Restart

Hello all. I'm new here and thought I'd start things out right by joining a Winnebago specific forum to seek a little help from time to time as problems arise. Hopefully I can help others in return too.

I just received my 2002 35U Adventurer this week which has been an extremely hot week in the AR river valley.

The delivery driver (I'm packing to move 2,200 miles and couldn't get away to pick it up) mentioned the dash A/C did not work but he ran the generator and the basement A/C worked fine.

I'm taking the coach to a very good truck/motorhome shop for the dash A/C repairs on Monday however I found a problem with the basement A/C. This shop works on the Ford F53 chassis and Ford components but won't touch the basement A/C.

The delivery driver did not know about it because he drove it 10 hours a day and got a motel room at night (does not believe he should be using the owner's coach for eating/sleeping or use the toilet).

So the basement A/C runs fine when turned on at the thermostat in both auto & manual. It seems to be blowing really cold air and will drop the inside temp from 96 degrees to 72 degrees in about 7 hours. This is with all windows covered, both slides out and it's parked in the sun.

The problem is once the coach cools off and the A/C shuts off the A/C will not come back on as the inside temp rises again. Only the blower fans come on. No compressors will run.

It's the same results on generator and shore power. I checked circuit breakers but nothing tripped.

I flipped the 2 circuit breakers off, waited a few seconds and flipped the breakers back on. The blower fans fan started immediately and the compressor kicked on within a few minutes.

The unit ran fine for 7 hours when the low temp setting was reached at the thermostat and it shut off. Compressors and the air blower.

Temp goes up from 72 to 74, 78, 82.............No A/C.

I'm thinking it's a thermostat gone bad but I'm no HVAC mechanic. I have been reading up on how important it is to keep the basement units clean so I planned on having it maintenance serviced once I get out to CA.

Anybody here experience this pattern with their basement A/C??

When it runs, it's cold. It just won't start a second time when needed without flipping the circuit breakers off and back on. Kinda strange to have to "reboot" the air conditioner.

Also note turning it on and off at the thermostat did not restart the compressors. Only the breakers.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

vetman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2015, 08:41 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Basement A/C Cools To Set Temp Then Shuts Off & Won't Restart

Install new start compositor on compressor. It gives you the kick it needs to start. They wear out and get weak. Just look up your model and find it and order very easy to install.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

2003 Sightseer 33L
Ford F53
Johndale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
Thank you !!!! I didn't know they had such a capacitor and now I know what the round tin can is I found in one of the kitchen drawers !!!!

Don't know if the one I found is any good but I'll buy a couple new ones and cool off.
vetman90 is offline   Reply With Quote