Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2018, 09:16 AM   #1

Basement door gas spring

I post here but if not in the good section ADM feell free to move at the right place !!!

Just buy our first MH a month ago, it's an old National 434 Daulphin 1994
All of the 10 door basement have 2 gaz spring shruth on each door they'r not new but they didn't look like 24 years old spring. i suppose they all have been changed somewhere in the past few years. All of them dont stay up wide open i need to attach them with a small rope to keep them open.

They are JR spring 17'' long 60 lbs force.

What do you guy's have lbs force to keep your basement door open ???
shrekchatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2018, 09:30 AM   #2
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrekchatou View Post
I post here but if not in the good section ADM feell free to move at the right place !!!

Just buy our first MH a month ago, it's an old National 434 Daulphin 1994
All of the 10 door basement have 2 gaz spring shruth on each door they'r not new but they didn't look like 24 years old spring. i suppose they all have been changed somewhere in the past few years. All of them dont stay up wide open i need to attach them with a small rope to keep them open.

They are JR spring 17'' long 60 lbs force.

What do you guy's have lbs force to keep your basement door open ???
We recently purchased a 1991 class A. We had the some problem with the pistons (gas springs, gas struts). IIRC, they were also 60#.

They were simply worn out. We contacted the manufacturer (REV Group for our coach) and ordered new pistons of the SAME size and SAME strength. The coach manufacturer asked for the serial number of our coach to find the correct part number.

They were pretty easy to replace. We did it ourselves. It took less than 5 minutes to change each one (working slowly). The new ones work perfectly.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #3

Those struts are available at many auto and home parts suppliers. Shop around for a good price.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Those struts are available at many auto and home parts suppliers. Shop around for a good price.
Here in montreal i have near 400$ to change all of them it's a full thank of gaz for my MH !!! LOL !!
Old 06-05-2018, 10:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
We recently purchased a 1991 class A. We had the some problem with the pistons (gas springs, gas struts). IIRC, they were also 60#.

They were simply worn out. We contacted the manufacturer (REV Group for our coach) and ordered new pistons of the SAME size and SAME strength. The coach manufacturer asked for the serial number of our coach to find the correct part number.

They were pretty easy to replace. We did it ourselves. It took less than 5 minutes to change each one (working slowly). The new ones work perfectly.
Thank you, you assure me i certainy dont whant to order 20 of them whith out the good strengh !!!!
Old 06-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #6

They actually go out fairly quick. I got some 1 inch pvc and cut it the length of the rod when opened, put a slot in full length and put them on when I need the door to stay open...acts as a stop. ..only cost a few bucks for the pvc.... I found the idea on you tube. ..works great
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:08 PM   #7

Thanks for the reminder....

I need to make a prop rod for the generator door.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnuts View Post
They actually go out fairly quick. I got some 1 inch pvc and cut it the length of the rod when opened, put a slot in full length and put them on when I need the door to stay open...acts as a stop. ..only cost a few bucks for the pvc.... I found the idea on you tube. ..works great
Thank for sharing nice idea !!!
Old 06-05-2018, 09:08 PM   #9

1/2 inch pvc not 1 inch
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:14 PM   #10

Hatchlift.com has all of them at pretty decent prices, you can get a slightly stronger one if you need it. They are in Denver Colorado and are pleasant to deal with.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:31 PM   #11

I'll add to this.

When you install them, make sure the stainless piston rod is on the bottom mount. This will help keep the rods lubricated and delay the gas seal deterioration as a small amount of internal oil is wiped on it everytime they are opened.

Hopefully it was like that from the factory!
Houdoxi71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:50 PM   #12
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdoxi71 View Post
I'll add to this.

When you install them, make sure the stainless piston rod is on the bottom mount. This will help keep the rods lubricated and delay the gas seal deterioration as a small amount of internal oil is wiped on it every time they are opened.

Hopefully it was like that from the factory!
X2!!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:15 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's the ones I use on my basement doors:
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Gas-S...897DE35DBBEAA8
Old 06-06-2018, 05:33 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Amazon has a wide assortment of them for reasonable prices.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, gas