Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Bath Towels - Microfiber, Cotton, Other?

My wife and I want to find some towels - bath, hand and washcloth - that are more compact, more absorbant and dry more quickly than conventional cotton towels.

We're already using relatively small, lightweight cotton towels but our main complaint is they don't dry quickly between uses. We hang them in the RV but the next time we take a shower our bath towel might still be damp.

What about microfiber? Any other ideas?

nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Microfiber towels are made from sythetic fibers and will definately dry out faster than a cotton towel will. Their absorbency comes from the micro sized fibers of the cloth, not so much the weight of the cotton. They're a great choice. For wash clothes, we ended up getting some of the little plastic puff balls and hanging them on hooks in the shower. They take a little getting used to if your accustomed to using a wash cloth, but they work well enough, rinse clean quicker (less water used) and dry out quicker even if there's a tiny bit of soap left in them.

A side note, but sort of related. We don't use bar soap in our mh. To much mess and soap scum. We purchased a push button dispenser from Walmart and filled it with shower gel and shampoo. Very convenient and works well with the little shower puff balls.

Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post

We're already using relatively small, lightweight cotton towels but our main complaint is they don't dry quickly between uses. We hang them in the RV but the next time we take a shower our bath towel might still be damp.

What about microfiber? Any other ideas?
I'm curious as to why you hang them inside to dry. I hang my cotton towels outside and they dry in no time. Nothiing dries a shower wet body like a nice soft cotton towel.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
I'm curious as to why you hang them inside to dry. I hang my cotton towels outside and they dry in no time. Nothiing dries a shower wet body like a nice soft cotton towel.
I see your point and I will start doing that when weather permits. Most days we are away from the rig and hesitate to leave items outside due to changing weather conditions, wind, etc. In addition, many times we are traveling from point A to point B so we cannot hang them outside. Since we have a TT there is no AC/heat in the rig to move air to help them dry. We have, at times, hung them in the tow vehicle to dry while we're going down the road.

We recently bought a 12V fan that we probably could run to blow air (even while traveling) and this would help dry the towels.

Even if we dry them we also have the fact that cotton towels take up quite a bit of room. We generally travel with three sets - one in use, one may be soiled and in the laundry hamper, and the third set is standby in case we don't get to the laundry in a timely manner. Once again, we're in a TT so we don't have an on-board washer/dryer.

Thanks for the comments. Keep them coming.
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:55 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
We have 2 sets hanging....usually does the trick. I do the same for our stick home.
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
We usually hang outside too, I have a "hitch mount" type bike rack, it is the kind that grips the top bar of my bicycle, I built a PVC brame that fits the hitch and strung closthsline between the ends of the frame, Very handy, and fits here in the bedroom when on the road.

However,, on those rare occasions when the sunlight is arriving in liquid form (RAIN). .That don't work so well.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
IHMO the microfiber towels are the devils spawn give me a nice soft cotton towel every time !!!!

We have a towel rod that starts over the shower and goes across to the other side of the bath... we hang the washcloths over the shower area to drip dry (leaving the shower door slid back of course) and hang our drying towels over the rod outside the shower where the most air can get to it... but we do have two ac's going that will pull moisture out of the air quickly!

we always have the exhaust fan on when taking a shower to 'get ahead' of the humidity and we will sometimes leave the bath vent open and exhaust fan to continue drying it out for a bit... (we do have a vent cover so no worries about rain coming in)
Old 07-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
IHMO the microfiber towels are the devils spawn give me a nice soft cotton towel every time !!!!
Same here. Give me a good fluffy cotton towel anytime.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cotton; my vote.

Microfiber for your RV, dishes etc.

Perfect your drying technique perhaps. Open them up, hang them loose, a little air movement.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #10

If you fold your towels nice and pretty and hang them, they will take longer to dry. Hang them full width in a single layer and they dry sooner.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
We usually hang outside too, I have a "hitch mount" type bike rack, it is the kind that grips the top bar of my bicycle, I built a PVC brame that fits the hitch and strung closthsline between the ends of the frame, Very handy, and fits here in the bedroom when on the road.

However,, on those rare occasions when the sunlight is arriving in liquid form (RAIN). .That don't work so well.
I know what you mean about rain. In that case I hang small stuff in the shower from one of those things from CW with all the clothespins attached. Bath towels hang from hooks that fit over the bathroom door. But they take awhile to dry inside when it's raining. Your "clothesline" sounds like something I'd love. I just bought one of those that stick in the ground for drying when using the TT (good for Florida's sandy soils when we snow-bird) and will get one that attaches to the ladder for the Class-C, for traveling.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
One needs a certain amount of decorum, so hanging the towels outside has its downside. LOL
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKinaMoho View Post
One needs a certain amount of decorum, so hanging the towels outside has its downside. LOL

True indeed. First the towels, then the shirts, then comes the underwear
Old 07-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #14

good rv towels

Linden street makes quick drying towels perfect for RV use. JCPenneys sells them that I know of.

TimH