Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2015, 08:50 PM   #1

Batteries

Sorry because there are always hundreds of posts re: batteries

Currently 2-3.5 year old 12 volt deep cycle that have gone south. Would you receive with 12 OR 6 volts. Tried to use my Renogy solar charger this past weekend. I would have 13.7 volts into the night. 2 hours later..down to 9.4 and my inverter would NOT power my CPAP. Thx. Tried Amazon.com with no luck. Where should I purchase??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2015, 08:52 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have 4 12 V 8D AGMS for house batteries. Thinking of changing them to 8 GC-2 wet cells since the AGM's are about $500 each and the GC-2's would be about $160 for two. The AGM's might charge faster but I'm not too worried about that. Would have to do some cable rework too.

You would need 4 GC-s's to replace 2 12 volt's, but the true 6V deep cycles would last longer with better power. Also, not many 12 V batteries are true deep cycle. Most are what they call marine deep cycle and are built for boats that use the same batteries to start and power the accessories. They just aren't good for running the house though.
Our last set of GC-2's lasted 10 years even being run down below 11.9 volts at times.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr D
You would need 4 GC-s's to replace 2 12 volt's...
Why?
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:33 AM   #4

First check into a 12 volt CPAP as many are native 12 volt with an adaptor.

You could use a dedicated smaller wheelchair battery in bedroom dedicated to CPAP to reduce need on cabin battery.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:57 AM   #5

Since the capacity of 2, 6 volt batteries ( 210 AH@ 20 hour rate ) is about the same as 2, 12 volt batteries ( 90 ah @20 hour rate, each ), Look for deep cycle batteries.

2, 6 volt, in series, don't double the AH rate where 2, 12 volt, in parallel do. So you end up near the same.

The lower priced, Marine / RV batteries are hybrid deep cycle starting batteries. They don't give the service of real deep cycle batteries and will last, about as long as yours did.

12 volt deep cycle batteries are more expensive then 6 volt, because they are less common.
6 volt deep cycle batteries run golf carts everywhere and are durable, cheap and easy to find.

2, 6 volt GC2's take up about the same space as 2 RV/Marine GP 27's so it's an easy swap. Just know how to wire them up in series.

Disclaimer, No battery will last long, if not charged and watered properly or run down to dead more then a few times. They all also need to be stored fully charged.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You would need 4 GC-s's to replace 2 12 volt's, but the true 6V deep cycles would last longer with better power.
I think Mr D. did a typo there, cause I'm confident he knows better than that. 2 x GC2 6v's will replace 2 x Group 29 or Group 30 12v deep cycles and produce about the same number of amp-hours (roughly 230 AH). True 12v deep cycles usually cost more than the GC2's, but the specifics will depend on battery prices in your area.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:24 AM   #7

I do own a newer, smaller CPAP, but not adaptable to oxygen,nor water. I installed a really nice inverter right by my bed, so thought I had everything "figured" out)). Add the furnace, refrig, water heater , etc and my 3 year old $80 shut down in the middle of the night. I was the first one to know cuz CPAP stopped))))) Isn't getting older...FUN??))) Thx for the reply. Johnny
Old 08-26-2015, 09:29 AM   #8

Old batteries on charger for 24 hours: Still attempting to take a charge. At 4 amp level. Will separate and charge separately to determine IF one is "dragging" the other one down...but will replace both of them anyway. Seems like WalMart's Ever Start 27DC is the better buy @ $81 each, although I should use 2-6-volt. My NAPA dealer in Iowa is the cheapest because of the farm account. I can limp it back to Iowa IF I have to))) THX everybody. You are very helpful)) Johnny/ Ruthie
Old 08-26-2015, 12:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWASTROKER View Post
Old batteries on charger for 24 hours: Still attempting to take a charge. At 4 amp level. Will separate and charge separately to determine IF one is "dragging" the other one down...but will replace both of them anyway. Seems like WalMart's Ever Start 27DC is the better buy @ $81 each, although I should use 2-6-volt. My NAPA dealer in Iowa is the cheapest because of the farm account. I can limp it back to Iowa IF I have to))) THX everybody. You are very helpful)) Johnny/ Ruthie
Have you had them tested with a load tester or taken a hydrometer to test the acid? This could tell you if they are good or bad or even if a single cell is bad.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Seems like WalMart's Ever Start 27DC is the better buy @ $81 each, although I should use 2-6-volt. THX everybody. You are very helpful)) Johnny/ Ruthie
You CPAP users can be amusing if we find out where the power switch is located.

I'm afraid Iowastroker, that you're entering the intended versus actual use Twilight Zone. What you need to do is work out just how much electricity you need overnight and install twice that amount of storage capacity plus just a little extra for windage. Discharging any lead acid cell past the 50% mark reduces the battery's life for mechanical reasons. True deep cycle batteries like the Trojans will tolerate this sort of abuse for a greater number of cycles.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:05 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
Why?
I will answer that (Why he needs 4 GC-2 to replace two 12 volt 4-D size)

As it happens when you put two GC-2 in series you get around 220 amp hour (Give or take a few) at 12 volt

A 4-D is... Exactly the same thing 220 amp hour (Giver or take the same few) at 12 volt

I keep telling people that two GC-2 in series = 1 4d

The original Poster has 4Ds. so to repalce two of those. .he needs FOUR GC-2...; That simple.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I will answer that (Why he needs 4 GC-2 to replace two 12 volt 4-D size)

As it happens when you put two GC-2 in series you get around 220 amp hour (Give or take a few) at 12 volt

A 4-D is... Exactly the same thing 220 amp hour (Giver or take the same few) at 12 volt

I keep telling people that two GC-2 in series = 1 4d

The original Poster has 4Ds. so to repalce two of those. .he needs FOUR GC-2...; That simple.
I re-read the OP and can't find any mention of 4D batteries. Maybe you know him and his rig ?

I also read that he is shopping for 27DC batteries in Walmart. Maybe just for a short time, until he gets home ?
Old 08-26-2015, 04:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Sorry because there are always hundreds of posts re: batteries

Currently 2-3.5 year old 12 volt deep cycle that have gone south. Would you receive with 12 OR 6 volts. Tried to use my Renogy solar charger this past weekend. I would have 13.7 volts into the night. 2 hours later..down to 9.4 and my inverter would NOT power my CPAP. Thx. Tried Amazon.com with no luck. Where should I purchase??
Where in the above post and subsequent posts by IOWASTROKER does it say the two 12 volt batteries are 4Ds? And why are Group 27 batteries being considered as replacements for the never mentioned 4D batteries? If the OP is looking to replace two 12 volt Group 27 batteries, there are 6 volt Group 27 or similar sized batteries available if two 6 volt batteries are desired for the replacement. Four 6 volt batteries would not be necessary in this instance.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

You will spend a long time trying to find 6v Group 27 size batteries. I'm not saying they don't exist (US Battery makes one), but it is an uncommon size and going to be very expensive. Nor would it have any advantage over a similar design 12v Group 27. The voltage is not the reason for choosing a battery type - it's the plate design. Deep cycles are designed differently than starting or marine type batteries.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries