Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #1

Batteries going dead / problem found

I take the house batteries out of my MH each fall before storing my MH. I keep them charged and have them fully charged when installing them back into the MH in the spring. This year was no different.
I put the batteries in the first week of May. Did all my dewinterization etc. and got the MH ready to use. All the while the batteries stayed near full charge. We went camping Memorial Day weekend. We had full hook up so didn't rely on the batteries. While we were camping I tried to turn the vent fan on in the bathroom vent. It did not come on. I tried the switch several times to no avail.
After we got home the MH had sat here without being plugged in. I turned a lamp on to get something out of the MH and the lamp would barely light. I charged the house batteries and everything worked fine. A few days later the same thing happened. I charged the batteries and performed a load test. The batteries tested fine. I did an amperage draw test and found I had a 1.5 amp draw on the batteries.
In the meanwhile I had torn the bathroom vent apart and found the fan motor was seized up. I replaced the fan motor and put the vent assembly back together. All was well.
Then it struck me! I retested for a current (amperage) draw. There was zero draw. I took the old fan motor to the batteries and disconnected the negative ground cable from the batteries. I then put the wires on the old fan motor in line and checked for amperage draw. Ah ha! 1.5 volts draw.
I suspect while we were camping and I had tried the fan I had clicked the push button switch and it ended up in the on position. The seized motor would not run but it was still drawing amps.
The MH has been sitting a couple days now and the volt meter I have attached to the batteries is reading a full charge.
Sometimes you just get lucky.
Lynn
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2019, 03:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I take the house batteries out of my MH each fall before storing my MH. I keep them charged and have them fully charged when installing them back into the MH in the spring. This year was no different.

I put the batteries in the first week of May. Did all my dewinterization etc. and got the MH ready to use. All the while the batteries stayed near full charge. We went camping Memorial Day weekend. We had full hook up so didn't rely on the batteries. While we were camping I tried to turn the vent fan on in the bathroom vent. It did not come on. I tried the switch several times to no avail.

After we got home the MH had sat here without being plugged in. I turned a lamp on to get something out of the MH and the lamp would barely light. I charged the house batteries and everything worked fine. A few days later the same thing happened. I charged the batteries and performed a load test. The batteries tested fine. I did an amperage draw test and found I had a 1.5 amp draw on the batteries.

In the meanwhile I had torn the bathroom vent apart and found the fan motor was seized up. I replaced the fan motor and put the vent assembly back together. All was well.

Then it struck me! I retested for a current (amperage) draw. There was zero draw. I took the old fan motor to the batteries and disconnected the negative ground cable from the batteries. I then put the wires on the old fan motor in line and checked for amperage draw. Ah ha! 1.5 volts draw.

I suspect while we were camping and I had tried the fan I had clicked the push button switch and it ended up in the on position. The seized motor would not run but it was still drawing amps.

The MH has been sitting a couple days now and the volt meter I have attached to the batteries is reading a full charge.

Sometimes you just get lucky.

Lynn
Luckily it didn't catch fire
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl.swoyer View Post
Luckily it didn't catch fire
I have thought about that. There was no smell like something electrical burning. The motor wasn't hot to the touch when I removed it but the batteries were low on charge by then.
Lynn

Tags
batteries, problem