Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2016, 09:50 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Batteries supplementing plug-in amps

I heard that the 15 amps from the batteries, either through 12 volt outlets, direct wiring or the inverter, will supplement a 30 amp plug-in for up to 45 amps available. Is that the way they work

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #2

I've never heard a question quite like this and don't totally understand what you're asking but;

In general you're mixing AC and DC amps as though they are the same thing. Your particular battery and inverter setup will determine what they can output for any length of time. Take your coffee pot for example; If it takes 10 amps AC while on it would be 100 amps using your batteries. With a little more info we can probably help.

okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:36 AM   #3
TurnerFamily : )

I think what you're asking is: can the inverter provide additional AMPS in addition to your SHORE POWER...

NO, the ATS(AutomaticTransferSwitch) would prohibit this since it switches power from the Inverter to either Shore power or the Generator
Old 07-08-2016, 12:29 PM   #4

There is a Magnum inverter that can add it's output to the shore power thru a load sharing routine.

I don't recall the particulars but Google Magnum for info.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

it is also possible to wire an inverter so that it can selectively power various circuits through a specialized manual transfer switch. I wired a previous coach like that when we often stayed at places with only 15A or 20A power available.

Generally, though, it cannot be done with typical factory wiring or a typical inverter/charger with a built-in ATS.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
There is a Magnum inverter that can add it's output to the shore power thru a load sharing routine.

Here it is http://www.wholesalesolar.com/294034...3012m-inverter
Old 07-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
I think what you're asking is: can the inverter provide additional AMPS in addition to your SHORE POWER...

NO, the ATS(AutomaticTransferSwitch) would prohibit this since it switches power from the Inverter to either Shore power or the Generator
The ATS switches between shore and generator power.

It has nothing to do with inverter power. That is covered by the inverters internal pass thru switch.

With the Magnum inverter, I mentioned, it will supplement inverted power, with the pass thru power, up to a point and until the batteries get low.

So you could microwave something, going over your 30 or 50 amp shore or generator power, and when done, the inverter reverts back to charging and replacing what you just used.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:06 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat

Here it is http://www.wholesalesolar.com/294034...3012m-inverter

WOW! They are sure proud of that inverter. iMarine has the same thing for a few bucks over $1700
Old 07-09-2016, 06:02 AM   #9
TurnerFamily : )

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The ATS switches between shore and generator power.

It has nothing to do with inverter power. That is covered by the inverters internal pass thru switch.

With the Magnum inverter, I mentioned, it will supplement inverted power, with the pass thru power, up to a point and until the batteries get low.

So you could microwave something, going over your 30 or 50 amp shore or generator power, and when done, the inverter reverts back to charging and replacing what you just used.

good to know, as I would like one of these as well! There are times when having this 'bridge' of additional amps would be nice.
what the OP was asking about, though, I believe, is the standard inverter performance of his manufactured vehicle, which does not provide for this additional amperage.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:57 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like a bargain to me $1700 plus install so I can run two AC's the micro and the hair dryer at the same time. Think I can do it by hand. But if the coach already has it great. Didn't know there was such an animal.

LEN
Old 07-12-2016, 06:43 PM   #11

I think you have already found what you're looking for, but here's an article on boosting investors: Boosted Electrons: The Victron MultiPlus Inverter | Technomadia

Tags
batteries