Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2016, 07:41 AM   #1

New Battery?!

I have a 2004 Prowler Travel Trailer; 30 AMP. I seem to be in need of a new battery. Does anyone have any that they have had good luck with? Good brands? Never bought one for the camper so this is a new thing for me to figure out. Any and all help would be great.

NY Camper 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2016, 07:43 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Post a pic of what your battery setup is now and we can offer suggestions...

Deep Cycle - highest amp-hour...
some like low cost sam's batteries,
some like Trojans,
some like AGM, maintenance free...

Old 01-19-2016, 07:50 AM   #3

If you only use your trailer while plugged into shore power than you could even get away with one of the walmart marine batteries.

If you are wanting more than that and there is room than get a couple of 6V golf cart batteries from Sam's club, etc.

When you are getting new batteries it's a great time to double check that your battery charger (converter) is working. Basically you should see voltages up to 15VDC at the battery while charging and closer to 13 after charged. (This is very rough estimates)
Old 01-19-2016, 07:54 AM   #4

Well I am plugged into power but even so that doesn't seem to help with the dimming of all my lights etc. Do you know where I could find the converter? Not 100% sure what I am looking for.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Camper 86 View Post
Well I am plugged into power but even so that doesn't seem to help with the dimming of all my lights etc. Do you know where I could find the converter? Not 100% sure what I am looking for.
Lights dimming is likely because your batter is bad. The battery acts somewhat like a reservoir of 12V power when you are plugged into shore power/buffer if you will for the "unclean" power from the battery charger. I assume you have one 12V battery and no room for anything more. I too recommend buying a 12V WM or Interstate deep-cycle battery. Check water level monthly to prevent it from boiling away the water and ruining it too.
The month prior to the warranty expiring, consider replacing it or at least have it tested. That's because its lifespan is nearly over, and it's best to replace it on your schedule instead of when it fails at an inopportune time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:43 AM   #6

That is a great idea. The one that is currently in it was "new" when I bought the camper but didn't come with a warrenty. Also need to look into if the converter is ok but have to find it first. But you have also given me a good idea to make sure my car battery is ok before it runs out too!
Old 01-19-2016, 10:53 AM   #7

Many converters are part of the fuse / circuit breaker panel near the shore cord exit to the outside.

They have a metal grilled door on them with slotted plastic latch's.

My daughters and my trailers were under the fridge. My MH is under a bench.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Camper 86 View Post
That is a great idea. The one that is currently in it was "new" when I bought the camper but didn't come with a warrenty. Also need to look into if the converter is ok but have to find it first. But you have also given me a good idea to make sure my car battery is ok before it runs out too!
Batteries have a stamp on them somewhere that identifies the manufacturing date. When you don't have a receipt, that is used to determine the beginning of the warranty.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 01-19-2016, 03:21 PM   #9

I forgot to include this website as an excellent tutorial for learning about your 12V system: The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1) By Mark S. Nemeth
Old 01-19-2016, 11:15 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
I was recently battery shopping and they range from under $100 to over $500 with many quality variances inbetween. It made me want to not an easy choice. Still haven't decided.

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:45 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The converter may be part of or located behind the breaker/fuse panel.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:24 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you ever checked the water level in your battery?
Old 01-20-2016, 06:00 AM   #13

DG, You're looking for something like this.....

As said previously, if you're always plugged in just get a marine battery and you won't have to fill it up or have a problem exchanging for warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	converters-Magnatek.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	698.0 KB
ID:	116908  
Old 01-20-2016, 07:22 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I just bought (well last season) a Excide (sp) Battery from Manards, I got a big one not in size but what it will do.
I cranks the 454 faster than the old one ever has.
It replaced a Die-Hard.
I plan on changing them every three years, just for piece of mind. Nothing worst than going to turn the Key and all you hear is Click Click. Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery