Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
Battery Box or not

I had planned to switch to dual 6v batteries this weekend, but the NOCO dual 6v battery box had a "delivery exception" yesterday and is rescheduled for Tuesday. I just saw a thread on another forum suggesting someone interested in dry camping just throw away the OEM battery box and install the golf cart batteries without as the front bay behind the pin box and between the propane tank compartments is ventilated anyway. Since 1) the box should be delivered Tuesday and 2) it is raining, I don't plan to do this but I wonder what others think of that idea. Considering the landing gear system is there and there are electrical connections, I personally don't think it sounds like a good idea.

2015 F350 XLT PSD CCSB SRW, Andersen Ultimate hitch
'12 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde Pinbox
1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
Mid Atlantic Campers
I'd say you'd be asking for big trouble if the batteries are lead acid. This type of battery puts out hydrogen gas which is both explosive and corrosive. You don't need boxes for AGM types though, as they don't outgas.

2010 Montana 3665RE, wet bolts, etc.
2006 Ford F350 Diesel Dually, air bags, Softopper, Aeroshild, etc.
Walt Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
I am a retired electrical service tech and feel very strongly that Walt is right. Wet cell batteries always vent as they charge and discharge and even under ideal conditions there is a very small amount of hydrochloric acid that is carried on the vapors. As a result there will be corrosion and who knows what else if you don't use a battery box. In addition, should one of the batteries fail and leak or boil that will spread liquid acid everywhere, while the plastic battery boxes keep it contained so that you can clean up without major damage to other things in that space. Even with the use of battery boxes to contain them, you should still provide outside ventilation to remove any excess vapors from the normal battery use and an outlet for the problem if the worst should happen.
Good Travelin! Kirk
Full-time 11 years, now part-time.
Kirk & Pam's Great Adventure!
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
My 2c opinion...

Battery box not needed but a tray that can contain some spillage good.

Consider a few things.

Happy place for the batteries is about 72 degrees.

Anytime current is flowing heat is generated.

Having a closed enclosure traps any heat generated inside and also stays warm if mounted near a heat source like in front of the radiatior as some are.

A tray allows the heat to dissipate as well as any gas.
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:21 AM   #5
Are Commercial Battery Boxes Enough?

All of the installation guides indicate that batteries should be installed in a separate compartment from electronics, etc. But does this apply if the batteries are installed in a sealed & vented battery box?

Our 5er came with one battery box in the area with the hydraulic pump, etc. This area is completely open on the bottom, so plenty of ventilation, and the battery is in a box that vents out the front of the trailer. The front storage compartment has a second battery box mounted to the floor with a 2" (or so) hole through the floor and a hose venting to the front of the trailer. (Pic attached).

I would like to install my new Solar Controller, Inverter, etc. on the wall in this front storage compartment; remove the existing single battery box, and replace it with two GC2 double battery boxes using the existing vent and probably opening another hole in the bottom of the bay for the 2nd box.

Am I wrong in thinking that the vented battery boxes are enough? Can I safely mount the electronics on the wall right next to and above these battery boxes?

As always, I appreciate the insights of those more experienced at this than I.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Storage.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	73018  
yourpcgeek49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:41 AM   #6
Mid Atlantic Campers
Your questions are the same I wondered about. My LCI controller is right above the original two batteries that weren't really sealed, and only one of the two boxes was vented. Guess some amateur installed the second one, as they didn't even use the same size cable to hook it up to the first. I mounted my charge controller inside that compartment, on the wall between it and the basement since everything I've read says to have it as close to the batteries as possible. Since my non-MPPT controller was under $200, I'm willing to take whatever risk there is doing this. My inverter is too large & heavy to mount on the wall, so it's on the floor in the basement. I've opted for enclosed boxes (got the cable ingress/egress ports) with PVC pipe venting to the original vent at the front of the 5er bulkhead. I'm not really certain this vent scheme will work driving down the road though. Also don't really know how I could verify working or not. We're going to be taking a two month junket to Indiana and then Arizona soon, so I'll find out one way or another.

2010 Montana 3665RE, wet bolts, etc.
2006 Ford F350 Diesel Dually, air bags, Softopper, Aeroshild, etc.
Walt Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote