Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2014, 01:57 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
45 watts only is enough power to run a couple 12 v light bulbs; not something that's going to alter your electrical/gen needs.

A useful solar panel(s) would run around 700 watts and cost thousands of $$$.
I respectfully disagree with that statement. I have a 135w panel with a Morningstar Sun Saver Duo controller. I have it set so 10% of the panels current goes to the chassis battery, and 90% to the coach's. I never have to worry about the chassis battery as it's always FULLY charged. When dry camping, I often make morning coffee with the coach batteries, then watch several hours of TV throughout the day and evening. That single panel still keeps everything up and running by throwing 7-9 amps charge, depending on the angle and intensity of the sun.

Higher wattage of solar panels would of course be required as use of amp/hours increases. However, this is quite a bit beyond what the needs are of the OP.

Note: I never run the batteries lower than 12.1 volts on my remote meter. This setup is totally free from having to worry or fuss with peripherals. Just make sure the batteries don't run low on water and you're golden...!

Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2014, 06:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Oil Guy View Post
I respectfully disagree with that statement.
Why, 45 watts is less than 4 amps under IDEAL conditions. Where I live that panel wouldn't make any appreciable power from November to April because of the angle of the sun, days of cloud cover, and snow and ice that accumulates. It sure wouldn't maintain batteries.

rvtime2 if you've got a decent alternator and drive the motor home for half an hour once or twice a month the batteries will stay charged from that. If there is a master shut off use it to kill the parasitic draws, that will help.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to VAGABOND JIM
Question Chassis Battery

Ahhhh?

What effect does removal or disconnection of the chassis battery have on the main computers memory? Does it now have to re program itself to lots of operational aspects of running the engine, shift points etc. ????:
Old 01-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Argosy, all of the factors you mentioned definitely affect the performance of a solar panel. From your comment, it appears that you haven't tried anything like 45 watts of solar on your RV for battery maintenance. You might be surprised at how little it takes to keep healthy batteries charged. Snow cover would probably significantly affect the capabilities of a panel (I think, but have never experienced it), but cloudy days only decrease their output. I remember another RV I had while living in WY that had quite a bit of light coming through roof vent covers when covered with snow.

Not trying to convince anybody to do anything, only relaying my experience with a relatively low level of solar assist. It's absolutely the best modification I have ever done to an RV.
Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #19

I have 150 watts of Siemens (that should tell you they've been there for years) panels with a Morningstar controller on my motor home. It will go for weeks without making power. They lay flat and get covered. I don't know where the OP is but there are areas of the country where roof mounted panels on an RV are useless in the winter. Unless you clean them off with every snow, which gets sorta dangerous at times, they don't make power.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:43 PM   #20

I keep the panels clear after every snow. Batteries are pretty much 100 percent, even after several cloudy days.

2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery