Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #1

Battery Connection

I am embarrased to say, I accidently reversed the connection of the batter cables to the starting battery. I have no power when trying to start the motorhome. I have checked the fuses and they are all ok. I have a 2004 Itasca Sunrise. I am sure I have done some major damage. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start tracking down the damage.

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
check the battery houses shut off switch if it has one. For damage the ground are not fuses sorry to say?

Old 02-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #3

Easy stuff first. We had a similar problem. Crawl under the coach and find where the battery negative cable grounds to the frame. Check for tightness...if you can move it, wiggle it around and try again. If you get your dash indication lights and it starts, disconnect the battery and go back under and take apart the ground - clean the terminal and wire ends and reconnect everything. That worked for us. Good luck. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Get a voltmeter and start by checking he battery itself. Then the connections. The starting battery should have two big cables, one to the chassis ground and one that goes to the starter solenoid and thence to the starter. There is probably a battery isolator somewhere in the path too. Check voltage along the way to see where power is no longer available.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #5

Scooter,

I have known this to happen a few other times (you really didn't think you were the first - did you?).
You stay you have no power when you try to start.
Do you mean no power at all ? or it just won't crank and start??

I believe your Itasca is GM Workhorse chassis. In that case, there should be a Big FFuse right near the battery. This is a 175 or 250 amp fuse - I don't believe it had a fusible link still. This is/was the Distribution Fuse.
There is also a decent bet that even with that fuse or fusible link you did take out the charging system isolator and the diodes in the alternator. Check the isolator and alternator before you fix the distribution fuse. Both of those can either blow out (come open) or go solid. If they went solid (became a piece of wire) and you reconnect the battery, there may be bad things happening - fast. A competent technician will have a meter that can check both of those and should know how to do it.

There is a reasonable chance that the damage is not any more extensive than that. But you will not know until you start checking things.

Matt
Old 03-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #6

Battery connection

The fusible link was blown that goes from the starter to the fuse block. Replaced the fusible link. Disconntected the altenator and going to get the altenator checked this weekend. What is the charging isolator? Where would it be located?

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterinmo View Post
The fusible link was blown that goes from the starter to the fuse block. Replaced the fusible link. Disconntected the altenator and going to get the altenator checked this weekend. What is the charging isolator? Where would it be located?

Thanks.
Most vehicles that have a chassis and house battery have a Charging Isolator that allows the main engine alternator to charge both and not allow the house loads to kill the chassis battery. This will be a largish heatsink (finned aluminum block) with three or more connections. I cannot begin to tell you where to look, but the alternator output lead should go directly to it.

Matt
Old 03-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #8

Battery Connection

The altenator and the isolator/solenoid were bad. replaced the altenator yesterday and picked a new isolator. Will install the new isolator today and see if everything else is ok. Mattc looks like you were right on the money. Thanks for the help.

Tags
battery