Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2018, 01:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Yep, I suppose it could plug up on rare occaisions, but the float valves seat against the pressure from the bulb pumping water. It would take a heck of a blockage to prevent water from flowing.

Since I upgraded the OEM tray from 6 to 8 batteries, their orientation is different. Even with the sliding tray, the rear batteries would have to be filled using a mirror and flashlight. I think I'll take my chances with the Pro-fill and check them every month.
Scotty would you happen to be one of the divers for IHBA/LODRS?
mmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2018, 05:37 PM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
and then with lithiums and threw all that crap away.
Now we’re talking, when it’s time for replacements that’s what I’m looking for!

Steve
Old 02-23-2018, 05:51 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevL View Post
Now we’re talking, when it’s time for replacements that’s what I’m looking for!

Steve

What about charger inverters do you have to change them or are they adaptable?
Old 02-23-2018, 07:57 PM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Something that would have to be looked into. I assume it would depend on which lithium chemistry as well, the nominal voltage varies slightly.

I’m thinking if my batteries are good for three to five years the lithium market will have many more options.

Steve
Old 02-24-2018, 07:11 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin View Post
Scotty would you happen to be one of the divers for IHBA/LODRS?
Yessir. That would be me. Going into my 20th season. Are you MMartin the TAF driver?
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:42 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
My 2000 watt inverter/charger has a setting for different types of battery's.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
My 2000 watt inverter/charger has a setting for different types of battery's.
Nice! Not sure if mine does, in a few years I'll be looking.

For those interested in all types of batteries, there chemistry, charge rates, life span, pros & cons, etc. this is the place for all your battery info.

Steve
Old 02-25-2018, 08:14 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post

Yes and no. Current chargers/ invertersfor lead acid batteries won't hurt the lithiums, but will not likely charge them full up.

One nice feature about lithiums, among many, is that they don't mind being left partly charged and don't need to be topped off.

Best approach I think, is to evaluate all your charging choices and have at least one that will top the lithium's off. In my case, I left the converter alone, have a LI compliant solar controller, and my vehicle alternator charges the heck out of them. I get 80 amps out of my Ford Transit at idle, and the engine doesn't mind at all, and is WAY quieter than my ONAN. So the onan is regulated to AC duty, not charging duty. Many days my 400 AH of solar maintain the system fine, unless it is very cold.

When plugged in, the stock converter works fine to power the 12 volt system

Another nice feature of LI's is that they take ALL of the 80 amps right up to full charge, so my charging time is way less than my old batteries.

I would take a look at your whole system, talk to the LI mfg's, and customize your setup accordingly.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
Smile You are all clearly pros

You are all clearly pros in this space. I just bought a 2008 Newmar and have yet to dig into this one. I do have a nice slider tray!

So...am looking for guidance. What I know so far is -

1) You really should check them out every 3-4 months
2) Fill with distilled

Questions:
a) Any suggestions on cleaning them? Do any of you do this? Any functional value in cleaning?
b) Any suggestions on taking off the caps? Just gloves and grit?
c) Lots of discussion on overfilling? How does one know how far to fill?
d) I have seen threads about doing some process on the batteries the inverter does for you? Any insight on this? (was a passionate thread!)

Thanks all! I love this place!
pgrennan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:05 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrennan3 View Post
You are all clearly pros in this space. I just bought a 2008 Newmar and have yet to dig into this one. I do have a nice slider tray!

So...am looking for guidance. What I know so far is -

1) You really should check them out every 3-4 months
2) Fill with distilled

Questions:
a) Any suggestions on cleaning them? Do any of you do this? Any functional value in cleaning?
b) Any suggestions on taking off the caps? Just gloves and grit?
c) Lots of discussion on overfilling? How does one know how far to fill?
d) I have seen threads about doing some process on the batteries the inverter does for you? Any insight on this? (was a passionate thread!)

Thanks all! I love this place!
I'll offer my opinion on your questions.

a) I see a great value in keeping the batteries clean, especially if you will manually fill/check them. The last thing you want is dirt or foreign matter to enter the cells. Also, dirt will retain moisture which will accelerate possible corrosion on the terminals. I would routinely keep the batteries clean--wipe with a cloth, check the terminal tightness, spray the terminals with an anti-oxidizer.

b) If you are going to routinely remove the caps, you might invest in a set of "speed vent caps." These are basically a set of caps that are joined together by a slide mechanism which, when moved, unloosens all caps at the same time. Regardless, wipe the top of the battery clean before removal, use care, and do not allow any dirt to enter the cells when checking/servicing.

c) If you can see inside the cell, you will see the top of the plates and you will see the edge of the filler hole extending down into the cell. Fill the cell with distilled water until it reaches the bottom of that edge, which is a short distance above the plates. Do not fill to the lip of the hole where the cap screws in. Battery bottles have a compression valve that automatically fills to the correct level. Since you have a slide tray, that would be my go-to way to fill the batteries.

d) Not familiar with that topic.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:08 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like your talking about equalization. That’s a periodic maintenance that needs to be done after heavy use. If so, your inverter charger should have that option. Just follow the procedures in your manual.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:39 PM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Water

I'm a little concern now. we have had our RV for 3 years now, and have not put any water in the batteries. they are not on a tray, so hard to get to. i hope mines does not need water Do all batteries need water?
burton822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:47 PM   #41

Yes afraid so. If access is a problem, you will need to get one of the Pro fill systems or the like. I converted my 12v batteries to a 6v series parallel 12v system. Cost of the batteries was 900$. I check mine every 30 days. They do take water. You will need to find a way to get to yours.
megehrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:47 PM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by burton822 View Post
I'm a little concern now. we have had our RV for 3 years now, and have not put any water in the batteries. they are not on a tray, so hard to get to. i hope mines does not need water Do all batteries need water?
I can check mine by sticking head in the compartment but I'm not comfortable sticking face within few inches of an open battery cell. I use a mirror and flashlight to check levels. I do have enough space to use one of the black battery fill cans to fill them.
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery