Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2016, 01:18 PM   #1

Battery Freezing?

I have read (or heard) somewhere that trailer/motorhome/5th wheel batteries left in the unit can freeze during the winter. Has anyone personal experience with this issue? I've left automobiles out in the weather for over 60 years and never once has a battery suffered damage. In addition, my 5th wheel is hooked to 50 amp service during the winter so the battery is being maintained. What say you all......
Okplowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okplowboy View Post
I have read (or heard) somewhere that trailer/motorhome/5th wheel batteries left in the unit can freeze during the winter. Has anyone personal experience with this issue? I've left automobiles out in the weather for over 60 years and never once has a battery suffered damage. In addition, my 5th wheel is hooked to 50 amp service during the winter so the battery is being maintained. What say you all......
batterys only freeze if they lose their charge( go dead) your being charged
will never freeze in this situation
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #3

Yes they can if temperature gets down to -92 that's for a 100% charged battery. Now if at 40 % it can freeze at only -25. Doesn't get that cold here in the desert around Palm Springs Ca. where I live.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:34 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I had 2 batteries freeze in a fifth wheel. I guess they were down on charge and we left Alberta to go south and stopped for the night and they were done.
It was -35 celcius when we left and our memory foam mattress was a frozen brick as well.After that we always had the furnace going for a couple days before we left and kept it plugged in as well.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:44 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
batterys only freeze if they lose their charge( go dead)...
In 17 years of RV'ing, the only time we had our house batteries freeze/burst was when the breaker powering the receptacle where the coach was plugged tripped. We didn't know it & the parasitic loads drained them. Several days with temps in the teens did them in.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery