Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2016, 04:43 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So the batteries we spent $$$ on are the RV Marine ones which are the kind thar was in the coach when we bought it, if they are not the type we should have which ones are???

S

Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2016, 06:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandshaz View Post
So the batteries we spent $$$ on are the RV Marine ones which are the kind thar was in the coach when we bought it, if they are not the type we should have which ones are???

S
6 volt golf cart batteries - 220ah rating or better. Look at Trojan and other good names. You hook them up in series to get your 12 volts and these are true deep cycle batteries. If you have already drained these new marine batteries down a lot then they are already on their way to a weakened state.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:13 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Before you invest in solar, you need to decide how you camp. If you only boondock once a year a Quartzsite, you would be wasting your money on solar. You would be better off increasing your battery bank. It would be cheaper and provide you with more of the power you need.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:19 PM   #18
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Before you invest in solar, you need to decide how you camp. If you only boondock once a year a Quartzsite, you would be wasting your money on solar. You would be better off increasing your battery bank. It would be cheaper and provide you with more of the power you need.
Ditto: Except they would need to find room for the extra batteries.

Oh wait, I forgot I did on mine. I cut through the thin bulkheads and added batteries to the left of that compartment. I guess my memory is not as bad as I remembered.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:24 PM   #19
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandshaz View Post

S
Too many experts. Much adoo about nothing. Be happy. What you have is fine. Yes yes, some minor differences. Forty years of dealing with batteries and the most common failure is due to neglect.

Yeah, you might find a bucket of marbles that is slightly larger, better at letting them in and out, but you still have a bucket of marbles. If you take gentle care of them they will serve you well.

If you need a bigger bucket, then as Don suggest you can find somewhere to add that bucket of marbles. You don't need crazy huge hoses/cables to connect them together.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:47 PM   #20

I have a knife type disconnect on the engine battery. I open the switch when we park and close it when we are ready to go. No danger of a dead engine battery for weeks on end. I also carry jumper cables and an extra fully charged 12V. battery in a compartment.
I wired in a voltmeter in the battery compartment so I can keep an eye on battery charge if I feel uneasy about it. I also carry a cheap volt, amp, ohm meter in the coach. This has been a handy tool for some other campers as well as me.
Lynn
Old 01-27-2016, 09:40 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you all. You have given a lot of great insight and many things to give great thought to.

We do enjoy boondocking and now that one if us is retired and one semi retired we are traveling more then in the past. This year alone there have been 4 trips to Tx, 1 trip cross country and this trip to Az. Our trips are much longer as well instead of a week to 10 days they are now 3 weeks plus.

I want to thank YC1 for explaining things so I could understand them with buckets of marbles.

Great thanks
Shaz
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:16 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One more thing to check is that your engine alternator is working properly. Mine went out on the way to FL and I thought it was a bad battery.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:40 PM   #23

Not meaning to be argumentative, but I fail to see why a "marine" deep cycle battery is not good for a "RV" deep cycle battery. I don't think the battery knows the difference between "marine" and "RV". JMHO.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:07 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcannonball View Post
Not meaning to be argumentative, but I fail to see why a "marine" deep cycle battery is not good for a "RV" deep cycle battery. I don't think the battery knows the difference between "marine" and "RV". JMHO.
That is true. The battery doesnt know the difference between an rv and a boat. The problem is the amp hour rating of this kind of battery as opposed to a true deap cycle battery. If memory serves, these batteries have a usuable amp hour rating of about 85 amp hours, while two Trojan T-105s, in series, have about 115 usuable amp hours.
PJStough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:29 AM   #25

2 Trojan 6 volt batteries in series will give you 225 AH or more.

The difference is not the label but the construction. A RV, Marine duel porpose battery ( what others are refering to ) is a mixture of both worlds. It can be cycled ( run down ), but not to deep and it can crank up a cold engine.

Problem is it doesn't do either well.

An actual deep cycle battery( designed for electric golf cars ) will deep cycle 700 to 1000 times before loosing capacity. Golf Course owners use them everywhere and they need them to perform.

The deep cycle battery will start an engine but not with all the power needed on a big cold engine. That's not what is was designed to do.

A Marine/RV battey will deep cycle 30 to 50 times before starting to loose capacity.

It will start a marine engine because most boats are not being used in freezing weather.

It is designed for a light discharge, like a fish finder, radio or some trolling motor use, for a few hours before getting re-charged.

There are 12 volt deep cycle batteries but they are expensive. The millions used in golf cars keeps the price of 6 volt ones low.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:48 AM   #26

FWIW If you look into battery chemistry it takes roughly 4 hours for a wet cell battery to bulk charge and 16 hours to fully charge allowing for float finishing. Trying to bulk charge faster overheats the battery causing problems. 2 hours per day does not cut it.

FWIW2 the two hours in the morning and two in the evening is built around charging during the maximum AC need. You are better off using the generator to supply the microwave, electric hot water, coffee maker, A/C in the afternoon etc and letting the battery charge while that is happening instead of depending on a big inverter sucking down the batteries.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:50 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I would not be too quick to replace new batteries. Although the 6 volts MIGHT do better your problem seems to be inverter time and charge time. There are items that run in your coach if they see 120 volts, if not set not to. Just pulled out of "Q" and am running two 12 volt DEEP CYCLE boondocking, running the Gen 2-3 hours in the morning and same in the evening, with the furnace set at 63 at night and not inverting, the batteries are not even starting to run down. One big draw can be your refer if not set to propane.

LEN
Old 01-28-2016, 01:01 PM   #28

I agree with Olylen.....
Not sure why everyone is so quick to jump on the 6v bandwagon. Are 6v better?? Absolutely, but there's no reason why a pair of 12v deep cycle group 27/31 won't work for an occasional/light use Boondocker. You either have a charger or a charge time length problem. Most of you OEM chargers aren't even marginally adequate & just don't charge worth a darn, especially in a 1-2hr time frame. Check you battery voltage when you first hook up to shore power, you should see 14.2-14.5 volts. Then it may tapper off to 13.6-13.8 after several hours, then 13.2ish after a day or so......
If you don't see that then your charger is more than likely bad or stuck on float mode which is what mine did, it would take 6-7 days to fully charge. I've had great results with the Progressive Dynamics smart charger !! The 4600 series is a direct replacement for most common OEM chargers.....

Tags
battery