Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2016, 09:12 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Battery "maintainer"

Is a 1.5 amp trickle charger enough to maintain charge on an RV battery that will not be used for a couple of months at a time?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2016, 09:22 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Works for me on the house batteries

JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Is a 1.5 amp trickle charger enough to maintain charge on an RV battery that will not be used for a couple of months at a time?
If you have enough 120V shore power to power a trickle charger.... and IF the battery charger in your built in inverter/charger is a 3 stage charger... an "add on trickle charger" is not needed to "maintain charge" on your RV battery.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 02-25-2016, 09:50 AM   #4

Yes. And maybe!

What RV battery? Chassis, I'd say yes. House, I'd say probably. But, it depends upon the size of the battery bank, and I recommend you start at 100% SOC.

If house, are the wet or AGM (Assume not Lithium.)

If wet cells, say conventional GC 6V, then a product like Battery Minder that also automatically de-sulphates while maintaining too - is a nice feature.

And as with many things in life, opinions will vary!

Best,
Smitty
Old 02-25-2016, 12:27 PM   #5

It should work fine, but remember that a maintainer is to maintain the charge at full, not to charge from half or whatever. Assuming the battery is full charge, then the maintainer does it's job.

I use the maintainers on many of my older classic vehicles that do not get used often and they work great. No propblems with dead or low battery when I want to start and drive them.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
If you have enough 120V shore power to power a trickle charger.... and IF the battery charger in your built in inverter/charger is a 3 stage charger... an "add on trickle charger" is not needed to "maintain charge" on your RV battery.
Mel
'96 Safari
Exactly
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Mel
'96 Safari
Mel makes a good point.
I used to store my coach outside over the winter. Fortunately, the facility could provide me with a 15A plug in about 50' away. I left it plugged in all winter with no problems.
No need for another charger.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks guys! Actually, I'm asking for a neighbor who has a 2015 Itasca Navion 24J. This MH uses the Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis and the chassis battery is a maintenance-free inside under a floor panel in front of the driver's seat. Sometimes she will not be using it for a couple of months at a time, and has had a problem with the chassis battery going down.

She keeps it plugged into a 30A source, but I understand that this only keeps the house batteries charged, not the chassis battery.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:24 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
With my coach, the coach batteries must be getting at least 13.3 worth of charge before they will let the charge go through to the chassis batteries. If the charge rate to the coach batteries is less than 13.3...it will not go to the chassis batteries and they will run down. BTDT!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Thanks guys! Actually, I'm asking for a neighbor who has a 2015 Itasca Navion 24J. This MH uses the Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis and the chassis battery is a maintenance-free inside under a floor panel in front of the driver's seat. Sometimes she will not be using it for a couple of months at a time, and has had a problem with the chassis battery going down.

She keeps it plugged into a 30A source, but I understand that this only keeps the house batteries charged, not the chassis battery.
That's true. The chassis battery is not being charged when plugged in, Tha Mercedes manual states that the battery should be disconnected if the vehicle will not be used for more than 3 weeks. There's a disconnect in the driver footwell area near the accelerator pedal. I've never tried it with mine. When parked at home I use a Battery Tender unit connected to the terminals under the hood.

I'm surprised that Mercedes says the battery will run down if not used for more than 3 weeks. In over 45 years of owning vehicles I've never had one with this issue. Just another quirky German engineering thing I guess.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:59 PM   #11

Starting battery you can have a battery minder added.

The harbor freight units work okay buy when they fail they can take out the battery when they fail.

Battery minder is much better and can support small parasitic loads.

Tags
battery