Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2013, 07:31 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Battery question

Sorry to post another battery question, but there is so much conflicting information out there I want to get some specific advice to this question. I recently purchased a 2002 Beaver Monterey which is in great shape except for the batteries which are on their last legs. The coach has 2 - 12 volt chassis and 4 - 12 volt house batteries. The house batteries are all wired in parallel with a Freedom Combi Inverter/Charger. I am thinking of replacing the house batteries with 4 - 6 volt golf-cart type wired in series. Other than connecting them properly, is there anything else I need to do? Can I just put them in place of the 12 volt batteries, connect them (in series) to the coach and go, or are there other factors I need to deal with?
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2013, 07:37 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Not a wiring expert but I believe you need to connect them in series/parallel. I also believe that you should have room for 8 6V batteries in place of the 4 12 in the same footprint.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:40 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
series/parallel - not series
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ok, sorry about not using the proper terms, I will be connecting each PAIR of batteries in series and then the two pairs in parallel since they will be essentially now 2 - 12 volt batteries. I get that, but, once I get them wired properly, is there anything else that needs to be considered? Any issues with the inverter/charger or the monitoring panel that I need to think about?
Old 10-31-2013, 08:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadrand View Post
Sorry to post another battery question, but there is so much conflicting information out there I want to get some specific advice to this question. I recently purchased a 2002 Beaver Monterey which is in great shape except for the batteries which are on their last legs. The coach has 2 - 12 volt chassis and 4 - 12 volt house batteries. The house batteries are all wired in parallel with a Freedom Combi Inverter/Charger. I am thinking of replacing the house batteries with 4 - 6 volt golf-cart type wired in series. Other than connecting them properly, is there anything else I need to do? Can I just put them in place of the 12 volt batteries, connect them (in series) to the coach and go, or are there other factors I need to deal with?
sadrand
One suggestion I would make is: be sure to make/change any necessary inverter/charger settings to match the new/different batteries.....(you will find that "how to information" in your inverter/charger manual, or online).

A friend changed from 12V deep cycle to 6V and did not change the charger settings on his Heart Freedom 20 inverter charger which boiled out the electrolyte and melted holes in, (aka: ruined!), his new 6V batteries in less than 3 months of constant shore power at a El Centro, CA. campground.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dreamer View Post
I also believe that you should have room for 8 6V batteries in place of the 4 12 in the same footprint.
Not true. Two Group 27 batteries whether they are two 12 volts in parallel or two 6 volts in series will take up the same space and have roughly equivalent ampere hours.

Once properly wired you just have to make sure charging parameters match your battery configuration.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks. So we are really just concerned with proper charging. Fortunately I do have the Freedom manual, so I will make sure I look that over.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #8

Are you an FMCA member?
There was a very good article about how to connect batteries a few months back (like early this year, or late last).

Lead/Acid batteries do not play well in parallel. It should be avoided.

Matt
Old 10-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Two really good documents that you should bookmark for future reference.

They explain EVERYTHING you need to know about batteries and 12 VDC Systems.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

The 12volt Side of Life Part 2

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:29 PM   #10

X2 what Dr4Film said.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #11

One suggestion is to take pictures of your current hook-up and make a list of all the wires and where they connect. I hear a lot about wires left off and things don't work.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:54 PM   #12
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
Lead/Acid batteries do not play well in parallel. It should be avoided.
Matt
Why would you say that?
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Why would you say that?
+1

My buddy's off grid house with a very large array of series parallel has worked fine for over 20 years.

When all are replaced at the same time with the same size, there should not be a problem. It's been done regularly all the way back to the "Delco-Light" private power plants widely used on farms beginning in 1916.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery