Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #1

Battery questions.

We're leaving on a trip Monday morning, 6/11.

Went to the bus yesterday ( friday) at the storage facility where it is parked and plugged in to 20 amps. Checked the fridge and it was cold, running on AC.

Went outside and unplugged the power cord to use the vacumn. DW came out and said "what's wrong with the water pump...are we out of water"? She then demonstrated that the pump would only stay on for a few seconds then the light on the pump switch would go out and no water. Hmmm. I did not check the battery voltage at the batteries before I plugged the power cord back in, but I did look at the voltage reading at Xantrex panel....12.5V. When the power came on, the charger ramped up to 14 V and the battery charge level showed low. Water pump worked normal after that. I did check the water level in batteries and they are all full. Voltage at the batteries with the charger running was 14.3. the batteries, 4 Interstate 24's, look very new.

Any ideas???

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Need to check volts while unplugged, batterys will drain due to leak det, refer control board draw, radio memory all this might be small but over a period of time it will drain down batterys.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #3

Check all batteries individually as well, one weak battery is all it takes to drag the others down
Old 06-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can you duplicate the problem?

Can't imagine the 4 batteries are not capable of running the water pump after being disconnected a couple minutes.

I'm wondering if the problem is more with the pump or some other odd gremlin.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Battery voltage under light load was 12.5 volts.. 12.6 NO LOAD is fully charged.

I would say it is not a battery issue. Other issues I can't comment on. May be a poor connection.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Did you try load test with pump running only? It would crazy to think all 4 batterys are bad but like others said try them one by one on the load test too and stand alone volts
Old 06-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #7

Another part of this mystery. Checked the battery dates. Nov. 2010. So they're not old. Today we went out to load food on the bus. Bus is plugged in to 20 amp to keep the charger and frig operating. I checked the Xantrex battery monitor when I arrived. It showed batteries fully charged. After a while it was pretty hot inside so I unplugged the power cord and started the genset to run the AC's. As soon as the bus powered up, battery monitor shows batteries are low and the charger ramps up to 75 amps out put. About 30 minutes later I shut the genset down before we left and the monitor still showed the batteries not fully charged.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:26 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you have a load meter check the batterys that way or the Xantrex system could be going screwy too
Old 06-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #9

You mean you last checked the batterys two years ago? Or they were new two years ago? Batterys have to rest after they are charged. Full is around 12.6 if they are lead acid, gels are less glass mats IM not sure.

Sounds like a switch someplace is turned off.

Tags
battery