Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2005, 02:31 AM   #1

Now that winter is approaching here in the north. Is it ok to leave the batteries in the RV for the winter. I have a DC disconnect and cut the power to the batteries. I have done this in the past and seem to suffer no ill effects. I just plug in in the spring and the batteries charge and good to go. I have checked them in the spring and I have only lost 1 charge light through the winter.

Do others do this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2005, 02:31 AM   #2

Now that winter is approaching here in the north. Is it ok to leave the batteries in the RV for the winter. I have a DC disconnect and cut the power to the batteries. I have done this in the past and seem to suffer no ill effects. I just plug in in the spring and the batteries charge and good to go. I have checked them in the spring and I have only lost 1 charge light through the winter.

Do others do this?
Old 11-13-2005, 03:42 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I leave mine in and disconnected but I'll plug the rig in about once a month so they stay as close to 100% charged as possible. A battery left in a discharged state for a few weeks won't last very long after being charged back up, they get sulfated which diminishes their life and storage capacity.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:44 AM   #4

If you cannot keep the battery charged all winter, then the battery will freeze and fail. I'd remove it.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 03:44 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I've always left them in. Before the disconnect, I would disconnect the battery but leave it in the trailer. Now with the coach, I just disconnect and check occasionally during the winter for charge level. I'm still running the original chassis batteries.

Bill
Old 11-13-2005, 05:53 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I leave both batteries in and connected all winter. I do keep them charged with solar so I have never had a problem. Before I installed the solar panels I left them in but made sure to keep them charged so they would not freeze.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:23 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Leave them in and charge them once in awhile - plugging the Rv in for 24 hours once a month is good. Or hook up an automotive type battery charger for a day once a month. If you don't have a way to power a charger, take the batteries out and store in an above freezing place (but its still a wise idea to charge them periodically).

Another alternative is to buy a trickle charger and leave that hooked up all the time, either in the RV or in storage.

They will last a lot longer following this regimen.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:00 AM   #8

Thanks to all the replies...
Old 11-14-2005, 02:30 PM   #9

I leave in and plugrd in to shore power and have never had a problem. Scotty.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:43 PM   #10

kerfcutter;

hello, and welcome to irv2

currently on our 7th rv, a newmar diesel pusher, but now to your question re; battery removal. the past 3 motorhomes i have had solar panels, this one has 3 120 watt panels with 21.3 amps of charging capacity. living north of boston ma., it can get mighty frigid in winter. i do not have any hook-ups where i store the rig , so the panels keep the 8 6 volt house batteries fully charged and ready to go at any time. the engine batteries are kept charged by a 10 amp panel,

yea, solar costs money, but you save removal, the risk of damage to batteries,where to store removed batteries and keeping them charged for 4 to 5 months while stored. much safer with solar, and a lot less labor.if we get more than a foot of snow, i use a heavy push broom from a ladder, i don't get on the roof.

the big asset is being able to go whenever you want without a lot of fuss.

hope this info is of help---- ajbjrvers