Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2010, 06:08 AM   #1

Battery, types, numbers, FORGET THAT

I have been reading thread after thread, the battery info out there is vast, and confusing. My questions are simple
1-How many batteries do you have? (TYPE)
2-After your batteries are fully charged, running one TV and a couple of low lights, how many hours do you last before having to recharge the batteries?

I am trying to find out how my system preforms compared to others, lets face it, beyond all the technical stuff, the bottom line is performance, for me that translates to how many hours i can live in my Rig without recharging the batteries. If we start with fully charged batteries, we get about 5- 6 hours of television and lights, including low level draws like toilets, Propane Heat, etc..., thanks Gene.
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You hit on the problem, Genecop. Everybody's usage is different, and everybody's battery size & condition is different. There is no answer to your question.

And you started out saying just a tv and a couple of lights, but then threw in propane heat, which is far from a "low level draw". The furnace fan is a major power draw.

I run 4 x Trojan Group 31 AGMs for a total of 480 AH. I can run an evening and overnight with my usual power draws, i.e. lights, tv & satellite receiver, water pump, fridge, and the inverter running for the computer and clocks. Will beat 40-50% charge the next morning.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:22 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The other problem is the age of the batteries. Here is Texas, we rarely get normal lead-acid batteries to last beyond 4 years. I don't know whether it is the temperature swings or what but I struggle with batteries in all of my vehicles after the 4 year mark. What I got out of the performance of my MH house batteries when they were brand new versus those same batteries 4 years later (and I do have a 3 stage charger and monitor the water levels) is not the same.

I guess running a TV off the batteries (we don't) would also vary by the type of TV. Some of the newer ones seem to be power hogs but may that is must my mis-perception
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
My 8 year old Interstate U2200 6 volts (4 of them) have served me well. They are not as strong as they once were, but when new and for 7 years, would run lights, TV, Satellite receiver, refrigerator, inverter feeding 2 ice makers (1 freestanding U-Line), Norcold 110# refrigerator and 2 pots of coffee and 30 minutes of microwave for 19 maybe 20 hours. Capacity would be at 50%. The next morning it would take 4-5 hours on generator to recharge the bank. We did this on occasion when boon docking the infield of NASCAR races. I would equalize the bank a couple of times a year (usually just before the races). Had to add water a few times in the 8 years otherwise they have been trouble free.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Aside from discussion note:

to chasfm11,

It's sulfate buildup that renders old age to batteries; but it's preventable. Do a google for it and you will see solutions from "equalization" procedures to in-line chargers that will "spike" the plates at regular intervals.

"Lead sulfate (PbSO4) is created at both the positive and negative electrode plates during a discharge. In principle, during the charging period, 100% of the lead sulfate transforms to the positive plate (lead dioxide), the negative plate (lead) and sulfuric acid. However, in real life, when PbSO4 (lead sulfate) is left in the battery for a period of time, it crystallizes and becomes a hard sulfate that coats the surface of the electrode plates. This phenomenon is called sulfation. Because hard lead sulfate is a non-conductive material, when it coats the electrode plates, it causes a reduction in the area needed for the electro-chemical reactions. It also reduces the batteries' active materials needed to maintain a high capacity. " Credit to :"http://www.boatelectric.com/sulfation.htm"
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote