Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #29
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Gas. Turn it on. Light it. Wait a bit. Cook. Eat.
Agree, and no mess.

2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #30

Gas for me...Q120. Easier, faster and cleaner. Nothing to carry but the grill and no coals to clean up and dispose of, which brings up another plus, and I'm surprised no one else has brought it up. In a lot of areas with burn bans due to the fire season, propane grills are OK, but, charcoal grills and wood fires are not. Has to do with the disposal of the coals. For the same reason, I carry a Campfire-in-a-Can...both are plumbed to work off the low pressure point on my rig and I've yet to stay at a campground where they are prohibited even during burn bans. Had one park tell me no on the Campfire-in-a-Can, but, he didn't know what it was and proceeded to tell me the ban was for anything that left hot coals that could start a fire. Explained to him that is was a propane grill without the "grill" and said he'd have to see it first. He came by that night and gave me the go-ahead after seeing that it left nothing hot to dispose of and the "fire" was well off the ground. We had the only campfire in the park for the duration of our stay. Of course, we had a lot more "friends", too...

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #31
I carry Gas, Charcoal, Dutch Oven and a Credit card. I ready for whatever is thrown at me .
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #32
Big Steel Keg, lump charcoal ( real charcoal ), fire starters, never use lighter fluid. That animal died for you, it deserves better than a gas grill!
Roger And Kim Goodwin
bout them DAWGS!!
Roger G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #33
Charcoal only. Weber Kettle to grill and Weber Smokey Mountain to BBQ. I prefer food cooked over a city park grill with charcoal over a gas grill.
2010 F250 XL CC/LB V10 / 4.10
Jayco 30.5 RLS
jrstout89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #34
Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gas - I'm lazy when out RVing!
Cheers from Central Texas
SPICoaster - 2008 Holiday Rambler Alumascape Suite 5th Wheel
SPICoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #35
Gas...Weber Q200...10 pound refillable tank that will last for months.

Chacoal is to big of a PITA at a CG. Many won't let you us them. And there's spent coal disposal and cleanup.

99 Country Coach
Prevost XL 45 Conversion
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #36
Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
Gas...Weber Q200...10 pound refillable tank that will last for months.

Chacoal is to big of a PITA at a CG. Many won't let you us them. And there's spent coal disposal and cleanup.

Same here weber gas, but I use a splitter from one of my 30 pounds tank and 20 feets hose, save on carrying an extra propane tank
Mike, Martina and Maya our yellow Lab
2013 CrossRoads, Cruiser 29,5 ft 5thWeel, 2010 Ram HEMI 1500
ROMANICHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #37
I have used LP for about 20 years now. I agree charcoal makes stuff taste better, but_LP is ever so much faster and easier to use and pack back up for traveling. A side note to this is, one time while barefoot I stepped on a live coal some idiot had thrown out in the sand/rocks next to a tree. Two hours in the ER and I limped for almost 2 months. Guess the person was too lazy to put the coals in a bucket of water.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Charcoal without lighter fluid, no substitute, if you really want to BBQ

Propane/gas if you just want to cook something
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #39
We have been carrying a small Big Green Egg and a Weber Q but recently switched to a Royals pellet grill and hope it will be the best from both units in one package. The Big Green Egg uses lump charcoal and produces the best steaks I have ever eaten. It is just too heavy and two grills take up too much valuable storage space, always a problem for full timers.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #40
We tried both and gave up the gas grill. There is nothing that can compare to a charcoal grill. Also, the gas grill was a real PIA to clean every time we used it. The charcoal incinerates whatever falls through the grate. Better flovor and less cleaning - we'll stick with our charcoal grill.
Retired. RVing with one husband and five cats.
1999 32' Fleetwood Southwind Class-A. Ford V10.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #41
I use a dual-burner propane camping stone for RV'ing - makes things so much easier. I save the charcoal and smoking for the at-home charbroiler where I can control the heat better than an open-air griller.
US Army Capt. // 2009 Gulf Stream
Pro Patria // Strike Hold //
Lo Que Sea, Donde Sea, Cuando Sea
Tomaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #42
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm in the charcoal crowd. Use the little Weber grill. Only takes a handful of charcoal and I am just finishing up the first drink by the time the coals are ready. Hey, I'm on vacation, time is no object.

Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote