Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2017, 06:14 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
BBQ Grilling and RV'ing

I have yet to use my grill (Coleman Road Trip) and carry a propane one under my MH. I have a bag coming for it too. What are the tips for storing the grill and how well it needs to be cleaned? I can only imagine what a used grill must attract in the RV in a bag or not. Any tips from the seasoned experts out there (no pun intended) on having a grill along and minimizing the associated consequences. I also realize leave it out until ready to leave, I don't need critters bigger than me helping with the cleaning.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2017, 06:26 PM   #2

We use a Weber Q1200 LP grill. I try to burn it off good after using, then I just put its cover on and put it in the storage compartment. We are on our way to Alaska (currently in Denver) and I am going out place it inside a heavy duty contractor plastic bag to try to contain as much smell as possible. Hopefully this will keep the bears at bay. If not there's always bear spray and a 12 gauge. LOL
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:29 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we have an older rvq II
YES it goes in the bag when done after a good wipe down

but before we leave camp it gets HOT water washed on all the grates and grease catch pan.
i plumbed it use the onboard propane and a long 20ft hose
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:44 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a Weber Baby Q (think it was called the Q1000 when we got it in about 2006). I always give it a good cleaning before stowing it in the storage bay. Hot water and degreaser. The one time I put it away with the intention of cleaning it when we got home (got busy and forgot to clean the grill), it attracted a family of mice. Fortunately, most of them got caught in the Tom Cat sticky traps I had in the bays, but they made a mess nevertheless.

Lesson learned.....clean the grill well before stowing it. Otherwise, have been pleased with the little Baby Q.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #5

Yes! We have a Weber Q1000 and LOVE IT! Like the other folks, gotta keep 'er clean.
Anthem15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #6

We had the Coleman for 3 years and it held up pretty well. Would burn off the crud after cooking and then just put away when cool. One of the burners began to rust and since we needed to replace it, we went to a smaller unit as the Coleman does take a bit of room and is heavier than the SS one we got at Home Depot. But any of the BBQ grills are messy and require a good cleaning now and then.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:12 PM   #7

After taking the meat off I turn the grill to high for about 5-10 min, let it cool and then use a wire brush and paper towel.
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:21 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If that's the same model coleman we have, you're supposed to put water in the area below the burners when in use - should be in the instructions. Really helps with clean up after using it.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:22 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Well call me a purist. We use a smokey joe and still use charcoal for our grilling and we grill 5 out of 7 nights. There is something about a BBQ using charcoal rather than LP. A wire brush on the hot grill and a wipe down is what we do to keep it clean.

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:24 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Well call me a purist. We use a smokey joe and still use charcoal for our grilling and we grill 5 out of 7 nights. There is something about a BBQ using charcoal rather than LP. A wire brush on the hot grill and a wipe down is what we do to keep it clean.

momdoc
I prefer the taste of charcoal grilling too. Had I not bought this propane grill I would have gotten something small. I'll see how this works out. Regardless of the type of grill the situation is the same, cleaning and bug/pest prevention. I'm concerned no matter what, having a grill under the coach is an invite to things I just don't want, but I live off of my grill and microwave.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #11

We don't even carry a grill anymore. We plan ahead.....and often grill or smoke meat at home, to take along. Boneless beef or pork ribs, beef brisket, thinly sliced tri tip roast. They are individually wrapped in serving size, marked with the date, and placed in freezer bags, in the chest freezer at home. When we leave for a trip....we choose a couple of things to take along. Easily defrosted and slowly re-heated in the oven or microwave. Delicious!! No mess or grilling on the fly involved. Add a baked potato, or potato salad, or a veggie, or a salad. Whatever sounds good at the moment. Super quick and easy dinner.
Of course what we do won't apply to those that full time.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:22 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I use a "grill mat" on my portable grill. There are numerous choices on Amazon. After grilling you just clean the grill mat, roll it up and stow it. The grill is two years old and the grate is still like new. Some grease will find its way into the bottom of the grill but that's an easy clean.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:02 AM   #13

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post

momdoc
x2 on the Smoky Joe. You can definitely taste the difference when you use wood/charcoal. It is well worth the extra time spent IMO. You can do a mod to the SJ to make it into a mini smoker as well...
johns1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
We don't even carry a grill anymore. We plan ahead.....and often grill or smoke meat at home, to take along. Boneless beef or pork ribs, beef brisket, thinly sliced tri tip roast. They are individually wrapped in serving size, marked with the date, and placed in freezer bags, in the chest freezer at home. When we leave for a trip....we choose a couple of things to take along. Easily defrosted and slowly re-heated in the oven or microwave. Delicious!! No mess or grilling on the fly involved. Add a baked potato, or potato salad, or a veggie, or a salad. Whatever sounds good at the moment. Super quick and easy dinner.
Of course what we do won't apply to those that full time.
I've found the best way to enjoy that fresh from the smoker/grill flavor is to vacuum seal the meal size portions and freeze them. When you want to eat simply put the vacuum sealed bag in some hot, almost boiling, water until table ready. You can actually smell the smoke flavor when you open the bag and it tastes just like it came off the charcoal.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving