Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
BBQ Hook up to 1 pound tank

I have a Weber BBQ that uses the little non-refillable bottles and would like to get a 1 gallon re-fillable tank. I'm not sure what hose or connectors I need to get connected. Do I need a regulator at the tank? How long should the hose be? What fittings on each end? What's and Acme nut, and do I need one? I would appreciate some guidance.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #2
DJ

All you need is an adapter hose like this one: Here
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
As "DJ" said, all you need is the adapter line. The regulator is in that big black knob if your Weber BBQ. That hose is available at Lowes and Home Depot. The hardest thing to do is find those small tanks at a reasonable price. They sell for about $50-$75 depending on the shape you want.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
As "DJ" said, all you need is the adapter line. The regulator is in that big black knob if your Weber BBQ. That hose is available at Lowes and Home Depot. The hardest thing to do is find those small tanks at a reasonable price. They sell for about $50-$75 depending on the shape you want.
I'll add , many filling stations have a minimum charge, that brings filling price for a small tank to nearly double, per gallon, that of a larger one.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #5

The Hose DJ posted the link to will work perfectly.

The connectors are an Acme Nut x 1" -20 Male Throwaway Cylinder Thread and the standard connector for a BBQ grill (QCC fitting)

You do not need a regulator at the tank. The grill has a regulator built into it. The throwaway bottles provide "high" pressure propane to the grill. The hose connected to a regular propane tank (1 gal, 5 lb, 20lb, 30lb, etc) provides high pressure propane to the same spot the throwaways did.

How long of hose is dependent on where you want to place the tank versus the grill. I get by with a hose just over 3 ft long. I set the grill on a small table with the tank under it. My son uses a 6 ft long hose.

Very simple just screw one end of the hose into the grill the other connects to the tank. Unscrew the hose from the grill and you can use throwaways again if you need to.

Lots of hoses listed on Amazon. I had my local propane co. make mine up.

edit Check with the propane filling location. Many only charge by the gallon. TSC (Tractor Supply Company) does and some Camping World and Flying J locations. Worth asking Before having them fill the tank and handing you the bill.

97 Beaver Patriot, Cat 3126, Aqua Hot
StevenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If you have room, I'd recommend converting to the 20lb bottle. I bought my six foot converter hose from Home Depot(and IIRC, it was cheaper than CW). Very convenient to just trade in the bottle at Wal-Mart, Home Depot or Lowes for a full one...lots of retail stores carry the 20lb'rs for about $20.

Also, I just bought an extra 20lb full LP bottle (no trade) from Lowes for just over $50.00.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Look near the shut off valve on your main propane cylinder (presuming this is for use while you are at your RV) and see is there is a capped connection already provided. If so, just get a standard hose from your RV store (about 10 feet and you are ready to go. If not, your local propane dealer (the guys with the really big tank) will probably install a capped propane tee at a minimal charge. Then you won't have to worry at all about refilling a small tank.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
If you have room, I'd recommend converting to the 20lb bottle. I bought my six foot converter hose from Home Depot(and IIRC, it was cheaper than CW). Very convenient to just trade in the bottle at Wal-Mart, Home Depot or Lowes for a full one...lots of retail stores carry the 20lb'rs for about $20.

Also, I just bought an extra 20lb full LP bottle (no trade) from Lowes for just over $50.00.
That's a good idea. I just need to see if I have the space for it. CW has the 20# on sale for $35 right now. I was planning on getting them filled when I fill the RV's tank, which is down to 1/4 anyway. I don't think I want to run the BBQ off the main tank though.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I really appreciate it.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The weber adapter hose is $24.19 on PRIME at Amazon. That's free shipping if you are a PRIME member.

Glenn
Old 03-24-2014, 11:25 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Refillable Steel Propane Cylinders-4.5 lb. / 1 gal. - Worthington Cylinders 281149 - Propane Cylinders - Camping World

This is what we bought. One fill should last us the whole season. Get a plastic milk crate (Ikea?) it will hold the cylinder upright and the hose.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknKay View Post
That's a good idea. I just need to see if I have the space for it. CW has the 20# on sale for $35 right now. I was planning on getting them filled when I fill the RV's tank, which is down to 1/4 anyway. I don't think I want to run the BBQ off the main tank though.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

My local Lowes has the new empty 20lb tank for $30. Walmart sometimes has them, same price.
My local Tractor Supply Store has the propane filling station, close to where I live. New tanks (never filled before) need to be purged. The Tractor Supply guy did my new 20 and 40lb tanks. Had a bit of a line to wait.... this was the afternoon before the big ice storm hit.
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post

scenic route
!
I also carry a 20# LP tank.
I use it for my portable grill, a Buddy Heater a Coleman oven and sometimes a LP lantern.

BTW, are you aware that the 20# exchange bottles/tanks, (from Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) are NOT FULL?
According to the information printed on the label they contain only 15#, (3.5 gal) of propane!.
If/when you have an empty 20# tank filled, or refilled, you will leave with 20#, (4.7 gal). of propane.
(Read the label or see: The Truth About Filling 20 LB BBQ Grill Propane Tanks | Web Design Greenville SC)

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
So Easy I purchased a T coupler, attached to one of my 30lbs rv bottle, hook to a 25fts line direct to my Webber, works great, no extra propane tank to carry,
Old 03-25-2014, 08:05 AM   #14

Bought this one yesterday at Wallyworld. Works just fine with my Weber grill and my Coleman 2 burner stove.

Purchase the Coleman 5' Propane Hose and Adapter for less at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

Didn't ever bring an extra propane tank camping until we started camping where there were burn bans and I bought a Little Red Campfire fire pit.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank