Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-29-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
Freightliner Owners Club
BBQ Propane Tank

Tried to light my Weber Q and it seems I was not getting any propane as it would not light. Switched to a small bottle and it worked fine so I'm sure that the BBQ regulator is OK.

Removed the hose from the larger tank (5 gal) and tried lighting the BBQ with the new hose and no luck. Leads me to believe the problem is with the tank.

Any suggestions as to what may be wrong or how I may correct it?

traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
Have had problems with the hoses in the past. I have one hose that does not work with the stove, but does work with the grill. Go figure. The problem seems to be the spud on the hose end. Some of them will open the valve, others seem to be just a bit too short and do not open the internal valve.

Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
Try opening the propane valve very slooowwwllleee.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Try opening the propane valve very slooowwwllleee.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
Your tank has a valve inside that sometimes gets stuck if the flow gets too high as you turn it on. To fix that just turn the tank upside down and bump it lightly on the ground. This will reset the valve, now hook it up and turn on slowly. If this does not work you probably have a bad hose as previously stated. I have a friend that went thru 2 bad hoses before he got one that worked.
2002 Fleetwood Revolution 38B
2006 Honda CR-V Air Force One
waroland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
We had a similar problem with our Weber Q. When we called the Weber customer service line we were told the same thing Lymmor and Triker 56 are proposing. The person went on to explain the regulator has a safety feature that shuts down if it detects a high gas flow. It senses the high flow as a leak, so when you initially open the tank valve if you do it very slowly it won't shut itself off.
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Give this a try, no guaranties. I have had that problem an found that if I disconnect the grill end of the hose while the tank end is connected and the tank valve open you will get a little squirt of pressure before the safety valve shuts down. This spurt will produce a spray of oil. I believe that clears the hose, because after hooking back up to the grill it works as designed. I have had to do this 3 times and it worked each time. Someone had suggested in and earlier thread that if you hang the hose up from one end it will drain oil from the hose. I tried that and it did work, but my way is quicker and easier.

2006 Sea Breeze LX 8341 on a Workhorse W22 Chassis with 22.5 Alcoa Alum wheels,
2011 Chevy Colorado 4X4 with Ready Brake
Glenn and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:33 AM   #8
I also have a weber grill that I use with a 20 lb tank. You have to open the valve slowly or it will not work. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries. If the first try does not work make sure you shut off the tank then open the valve on the grill to get rid of the pressure, the close the grill valve. Now open the tank up slowly.

brialin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #9
Freightliner Owners Club
Waroland had the cure, thanks.

Turned the tank upside down, tapped it on the ground half a dozen times, reconnected and it lit! The problem was never with the Weber Q as I was able to BBQ with a small bottle during this hiatus.

Back to cooking with the bit tank!

traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:34 AM   #10
I never have trouble with the small tank. The only time I have trouble is with the 20lb tank. Some times it will light but only have a small flame. I have to shut it off and try again.

brialin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #11
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two possible answers:
One, make sure the hose to tank connection is TIGHT, if it is not properly tightened a valve in the tank (like a Schradder vavle) will not open

Second, make shure the hose to Grill connention is tight,,, Same reason.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote

propane, tank