Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
BBQing in California

I'm not sure, but suspect that here in California in either an effort to stop air pollution or perhaps as a safety because we can't seem to let Darwinism take it's course here, they have made the new propane bottles virtually useless. I bought a 5 gal tank from Wally World and a new hose to run to my Coleman Road Trip and it seems that either the hose, or the tank has a pressure limiter of some type. It will light and run for a few seconds, but then the propane shuts down to a trickle. I found an old hose for a camping stove I had stored away in the garage and hooked it to the tank and it works great. This hose goes inside the tank valve versus the new one that went on the outside. I have no idea if that made the difference or if the check valve was in the hose, all I do know is that it was quite maddening trying to sort it out.

Does anyone know where the problem was? I also suspected the regulator on the BBQ but since it works now I guess that wasn't the case.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #2

If we're talking about the same type of hose (see image below), the new ones do have a sensor in the part that attaches to the propane tank. It's designed to detect excessive gas flow and shut off the gas if it does.

The problem is the sensor gets confused if the gas valve on the tank is opened quickly (which by my standards is normal!) which makes it think the sudden flow of gas is a leak and it'll shut off the gas.

The solution is to open the tank valve very slowly to gradually increase the flow of gas.

I've also found that some of then flat don't want to work and always shut off the gas flow. I gave my daughter a Weber-Q as a gift and had to buy three hoses to find one that worked.

Wayne
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneey View Post
If we're talking about the same type of hose (see image below), the new ones do have a sensor in the part that attaches to the propane tank. It's designed to detect excessive gas flow and shut off the gas if it does.

The problem is the sensor gets confused if the gas valve on the tank is opened quickly (which by my standards is normal!) which makes it think the sudden flow of gas is a leak and it'll shut off the gas.

The solution is to open the tank valve very slowly to gradually increase the flow of gas.

I've also found that some of then flat don't want to work and always shut off the gas flow. I gave my daughter a Weber-Q as a gift and had to buy three hoses to find one that worked.

Wayne
That is exactly the hose Wayne. I have a friend that sells propane and he told me the same thing...open slowly, but no matter how slow I open it when I start the BBQ it shuts off. Gotta love "safety" features.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What the problem was.. The old style is called POL (Means Prest-o-light but most folks say "Put On Left" since it's left handed thread..

The new big plastic nut is called an Acme connection (Think about where Wylie E. Coyote got all the stuff he tried to catch the Road Runner with,,,, and failed,, then when you staop laughing .. read on)

There is a safety device in the valve.. It is kind of like the little like valve in a throw away bottle . It needs to have the coupler tightened tightly.

Inside the coupler is a plastic meltable bit.. If it gets too hot it melts and lets the "inners" move out some, CLOSING that valve.

This is for your own safety or so they tell me.

Now if you want my opinion of it.

I grew up with a bunch of 100 pound POL bottles and I'm still alive.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnkat View Post
but no matter how slow I open it when I start the BBQ it shuts off. Gotta love "safety" features.
In my educated opinion, I would say you have a defective hose ...

Wayne
Old 06-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why do you think that is unique to California?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
It isn't?
Piledrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Why do you think that is unique to California?
The term "49 state legal" comes to mind...now I don't know if it's a California only thing or not, but my 54 years in the state has me thinking that anything that has to do with CARB, EPA or being safer, California leads the way...right or wrong.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The change from POL to ACME is nation wide, federal regulation.. Just so you know.

How else would "John from Detroit" (Michign) know about it.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
How else would "John from Detroit" (Michign) know about it.
Who's John? I didn't see him post.

Thanks for the heads up though.