Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
I would NEVER buy into any CG....Far to limiting....And as Brian related there's a cost per year for the privilege.....As bad as a time share.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
We have seen the place as we live near by and it is packed in the summer with mostly Canadians. Never used the membership. Kind of a scuzzy looking place.
Jim
We are members of KM and Beachwood is our home park. And we are Canadians....not sure what is wrong with that????? It is not a scuzzy looking place in my opinion. (To be honest this comment combining full of Canadians and scuzzy together is somewhat offensive) There's never any kind of smell there from a nearby industrial facility.

Yes, it is a very busy place in the summer. The reason is not because it is oversold. It's extremely popular because those that go there love it and it's in high demand. It's a favorite of Canadians because it's only 15 minutes from the border, it's right next to Birch Bay (a summer, touristy kind of beach & resort area), it's large and 100% flat, it's great for walking, it's got lots of amenities (pools, tennis, baseball field, etc), lot's of trees, it's gated with 24 hour security, you can walk to the beach, and more. Many there are long time RV-ers, from small trailers to BIG motorhomes. One side of the property is called the "founding member" area and it is mostly mobile homes, some park models and a handful of trailers. There are some very nice units in that section and it is well kept.

It is NOT a state park. If you want more of a wilderness experience, along with few amenities and no hookups, then go to a state park or equivalent.

I agree that the sales tactics are close to a pushy car salesman technique, but having said that if you are interested and "do the math" you will be able to determine if it is the right way to go for you. We researched a lot and feel we "negotiated" a good deal based on what we wanted.

They give away those "free" memberships all the time. Nothing special. Sure, they're a come on to get you there for a sales talk, but so what? We used ours to negotiate as payment towards a full regular membership.

We did the math and found that it will take us about 2.5 years of camping to "camp off" the membership fee. We camped 50 nights last year and spend many weekends at Beachwood. We only have 1/2 year of camping left at K/M before our membership fee is paid for and after that, it's free camping except for the annual dues. We meet many other Canadians there and contrary to the implication above, they are good people and many of them have been going there for a very long time. We also meet many Americans who we have enjoyed chatting with as well. Mind you, when we go camping we do not classify people by the country they come from we like them all.

If you want to buy into a place like K/M, you need to do your due diligence and research on the internet all the in and outs of buying into a cg resort. They do not hand you a sheet with all their rates and options. You have to know what options and combinations are available and what your needs are. Then you need to go into their office with your eyes open and negotiate with them. Everything is negotiable, and sometimes better deals are to be had at some times of the year and times of the day than others. If you give them everything they want, you are throwing money away...

You are guaranteed a KM site no matter what and yes sometimes you need to go into overflow until a regular one is available - however, you can make reservations so that does not happen to us.

In order to camp at the other campsites at $10 a night you do have to join RPI and/or Coast to Coast by paying annual fees. The first year is free so you can determine if they are worth while for you. You do have to read up on some of the campsites as they are not all $10 depending on the season and other things - but for the most part they really are.

Two years ago we went to California and back using nothing but our KM sites (all free) and the RPI/Coast to Coast sites. We keep a spreadsheet to compare costs and we saved a lot of money and once we camp off the membership we will really get the payoff.

We don't find we feel "locked in" because between all the memberships that also include 1000 Trails/Encore and Good Neighbor we can find something everywhere we want to go.

Again, personal choice and I don't believe there is a right choice or a wrong choice....just what works for you and your camping plans.

myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:21 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
A new season , the same old come on. Went to Camping World in Burlington Wa. to see what they had , filled out a ballot to possibly win goods or services from C.W. , and was contacted by Beachwood Resorts saying we won a prize worth $1995.00. We told the rep from B.R. that we are not in the least interested, please never contact us again. Having seen this sort of scam many times over many years , we were surprised that Camping World condones this type of deceptive trolling for customers. The entry form at C.W. listed only a possible prize at their location , there is no mention of a 3rd party trying to sell you another product. With 2 entry forms filled , both were 'winners' , imagine the odds. The resort had tried on 12 occasions over 2 days to coerce both my wife and I to buy into their campground. Telling them 'no,do not contact us again' fell on deaf ears , they are as persistent and annoying as gnats. Most annoying is C.W.'s disregard for unsolicited sales.
Really makes me want to be a return customer.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #18

You made the right choice. We are near that place and know several folks that bit on their membership. All summer it is packed with rigs with BC,Canada license plates. There is a fairly nice State Park (Birch Bay) nearly next door.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:43 AM   #19

Camping World Burlington Needs to be Accountable

Beachwood Resorts marketing technique is the exact reason that I NEVER enter any contests in stores or trade shows. I find it totally reprehensible that my contact information was given to Beachwood Resorts by anyone at Camping World Burlington. If they did then they did so in a way that was without my authorization.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:52 AM   #20

JS,

There is a link on RV.Net to register Camping World complaints. I am sure the reason they do it is they get a cut of the money for the membership fee. If you want to vent to Camping World RV Sales in Burlington the manager is Tim Hanson. He was the original purchaser of our coach before he went to work for Camping World.

Jim
Old 05-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
You made the right choice. We are near that place and know several folks that bit on their membership. All summer it is packed with rigs with BC,Canada license plates. There is a fairly nice State Park (Birch Bay) nearly next door.

Jim
Not sure what your point is about the "rigs with BC Canada plates." Is that like Michigan plates during winter in Florida?? If the place is packed, it must be doing something right.

As to the point others have made about CW condoning this, I totally agree. Makes me want to avoid CW even more than I already do.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #22

Sarah

The point about BC license plates was sarcasm. We here in NW Washington find it hard to get a spot in a lot of the Parks as BC,Canada has a very poor park systems for RV.s. Talking to a lot of them over the years many say they don't feel safe in most of them. That park is only about 5 miles from Canada so they come there.

Jim