Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2014, 06:35 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bear spray?

When you go hiking or canoeing in the woods do you carry bear spray?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #2

No.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpncrsaider View Post
Yes, I do.........The spray I bought........is made by Ruger and is the 44oz can....
Old 02-13-2014, 07:46 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpncrsaider View Post
I try to ensure there is somebody with me that is a slower runner than I am.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
This should help:

Old 02-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Bears

To set the stage. We are planning on Yellowstone in June. We have two dogs that like to walk at night. Hubby does not like to walk at night. Obviously that leaves DW out in the dark in "Bear Country" walking dogs.

Ok. I care about DW's well being. I have been called "Scrooge" several different ways but still want to do what's best.

This month is our 47th Anniversary and DW's birthday. I bought her a can of bear deterrent Pepper spray. I thought it was a thoughtful gift. She didn't agree for some reason.

I pointed out to her that because it was a gift for two special days, I bought the expensive can that sprays out to 34 Ft. Also comes with a holster.

She is still unappreciative. I wonder if anyone else agrees with DW.

Keith
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #7

I've lived in bear country most of my life. Where we currently live is on a mountain in bear country, black & grizzly, deer, coyotes, bobcats, cougar, you name it. We hike everyday with our yellow Lab "Ben"(off leash).

My recommendations are, yes wear a bell. Make lots of noise, talk loud, learn to watch your dog.......he will let you know if something is around. My best advice is carry a high db 'Sport Horn'..........air canister type. Believe me, they work! Forget about the bear spray, pepper spray idea.........if I'm that close to the bear, tuck and roll, cover your head and hope for the best! Do not be tied to your dog on a leash and be extremely vigilant with the wind in your face. The last thing you want to do is surprise a bear, particularly with cubs. With the wind behind you the bear is less likely to be surprised as he will likely smell you coming a be gone before you even get there.

Happy and safe hiking.........BOB
Old 02-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #8

I have it in my bus, we do lots of back woods boondocking, also its handy to have for other critters. if you ever have to blow it off don't be down wind
gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:22 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep! You can tell if it is a brown bear, or a black bear by the poop. Black bears have bells in their poop.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Yep! You can tell if it is a brown bear, or a black bear by the poop. Black bears have bells in their poop.
and smells like bear spray
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #11

Sometimes. I have seen it work on both bears and humans...very well. You must be sure of wind direction when you pull the trigger or wait until very close to your target. Remember to only "tuck and Hide" on grizzly and to fight back hard on Black bear. A Grizzly is there to maul you and a Blackie is there to most likely eat you. If you take a dog, remember that when he is chased by something bigger than him he will run to safety... that will be you.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #12

I carry bear spray most of the time when I am walking our dog in certain areas, and this extends well beyond when I am in Bear Country. I have a can right by my RV door just in case any "critter" has the intent to do us any bodily harm.

I grew up, camped and lived in bear country for many years and I agree, bear spray is the last resort protection from almost anything. Prevention and avoidance is usually the best plan.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:20 PM   #13

Yellowstone and the immediate vicinity has a lot of bears, wolves, coyotes, bison, and a few moose. None of the aforementioned critters are fond of dogs and may attack them without warning. Nocturnal walks with your dogs may be fun, but in the Yellowstone area it's not very smart.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:02 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Went to Yellowstone last summer, did not take dog. There are Bison and such which will wander though your campground at any hour day or night. They believe the park belongs to them, you are the intruder. Your dog is not safe there unless staying in your hard sided camper all the time. It is not wise to take them out looking at all the paint pots, geysers, etc as one step in the wrong spot can harm your dog immensely.
(chemical burns or heat burns, and their noses are down right next to the ground all the time , they will inhale noxious fumes if you take them to the sites.)