Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Bed configuration engine heating problems

I am looking at a MH that has a bedroom slide and the bed sitting sideways. I have read that this may cause air flow and engine heating problems. It can also be a problem with not being able to raise the bed to get to the engine for maintenance. It is a 2004 Gulfstream 36 foot with 2 slides. Does anybody know or have any information about this problem or motorhome.
Thanks
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I don't see what a bedroom slide has to do with engine airflow - it is above the floor level and the engine is underneath the floor.

Whether it inhibits access to the engine from above depends on how the manufacturer built it, and again the slide is just one factor. Regardless of the direction of the bed, and regardless of having a slide, the RV manufacturer needs to make some provision for engine access for major repairs. Some do a better job than others. You need to investigate how the particular coach you are interested in handles engine access (or not).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
follow up

Thanks for the info. My questions is a means to find out what others rvers who have had problems. I just was asking because of information I read about certain m/h having heating problems with that configuration. I know what I have now makes it easy to get to the top of the engine, but looking at a bedroom slides does makes me wonder how would they get to the engine. As far as air flow I have seen and heard of stranger things.
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
My 39K has the bed sideways. Aft of the bed is a hanging locker and the floor of that locker lifts out for engine access. I have had heating problems but cleaning the radiator and charge air cooler regularly has resolved that problem.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If it has a side radiator vs rear radiator, that will probably make more difference in cooling. The rear radiator units seem to get dirtier faster causing heating problems. The side radiator units give better access to the engine from the rear for some service issues. My coach has no bedroom slide and the bed lifts up giving great access to the top of the engine as well. The coaches I have looked at very with how much access they allow, and it seems like if there is a bedroom slide they allow less. Not having a slide sure cuts down on usable space in the bedroom.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bed location or slide has nothing to do with engine heat or engine access. Engine heat or overheating is a matter of keeping the radiator clean.
evesely is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating