Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
We've had the Costco topper for almost 2 years now. Totally transformed the comfort of our horrible Sleep Number bed. I love the topper!

12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2014, 09:32 AM   #16
We too have had the NovaForm from Costco for about 1 1/2 years on our RV queen without any issues at all and i wouldn't have anything else. I've got arthritis in the back so i don't do well on basic mattresses. Yeah it's a tad long but i push it all the way up and tuck it in and it's fine. Add my Sunbeam heated mattress pad for the winter and i'm doing fine

2006 37' Damon Astoria DP 3595 Pacific Edition
2013 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD
Ozzy & Morgan - mini Dachshunds
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #17
Solo Rvers Club
thanks so much for all the info, seems to be the same on the sites, some love 'em and others not so much...

I think I will be doing some serious homework, but my inclination is to go with a WOOL topper, I have used sheepskin in the past and it is amazing for removing pain and keeping one cool in summer and warm in winter... I have a wool duvet
and wouldn't part with it.
they have some wool toppers, pricey but it was a godsend when I had a broken back... (I just had a pelt , worked wonders for me) gave it away somewhere along the way after many years of use.

Here is a link for those of you who do suffer from aches and pains and might not be aware of the medicinal properties among others of wool.

Shepherd's Dream

There are lots of articles out there.. Many thanks for your input
Young at heart,
Older in other places !
Enokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:37 PM   #18
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Leslie,

All memory foam is not the same. You need to check the weight of the foam. Four and five pound weight is the only ones that have enough density to properly support us. If you need to trim one down to fit your RV bed, an electric knife does the best job. They are hot in the summer if you don't put a good mattress pad over them.

I brought my full size select comfort mattress with me when I gave up S&B life. The RV bed platform is a queen, but it just gives me a flat place to set my water bottle and beside table stuff on. You will need to adjust the bed every time you change elevation. Different altitude means different air pressure. I think most people who dislike the Select comfort mattresses have not been properly trained how to adjust them. They can be as soft or firm as you like. But, to each their own.

I only put the fitted sheet on the mattress topper and mattress pad. I had problems with the topper shifting when I slid out of the corner bed when the fitted sheet covered both the mattress and topper. Now the rough bottom side of the foam keeps it in place. I bought an additional fitted sheet to cover and protect just the mattress. Since I don't sleep on it, I only wash it twice a year.

Good luck, and don't be such a stranger. We haven't seen you in RVMdom in a while.
Barb (RVM18), Sena (capuchin monkey, RVM Head Mascot) & Lily (Maltese/Yorkie)
2011 Shasta Cynara 230F & 2012 Smart Car toad, 272 watt solar system
The Journey is Our Destination. Full-timing since 5/18/2011 and loving it.
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:51 PM   #19
We added a topper, maybe 2 1/2 inch, on top of our sofabed mattress. It made it higher, but not much more comfort. And when we fold in the bed, the cushions are at a slight slope, making the sofa uncomfortable. On the back pillowtop queen, we just put a mattress pad/cover, but may opt for a topper in the future.
Ken, Judy, and the Angels--2005 Fleetwood Southwind--2008 Cargo Trailer--2003 EZGO Golf Cart
Retired and Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:48 PM   #20
A few points to ponder.

1 Memory foam, go to a store with mattresses, try a memory foam mattress, lay on it for awhile. Memory foam mattresses feel a bit different imho i prefer them but its what you like that matters for you. Obusforme makes a good one, so does Tempurpedic and iComfort. Cheap ones aren't very nice. Generally cheap ones are very firm and have lousy consistency (some firmer then others). Also if you get one rolled up (Mattress/topper) give it a few hours to expand before you try it.

A memory foam mattress/topper can be infused with cooling beads (by nature they're warm) there are some that have a solid "blue" and others that are like dots. Generally the solid ones hold temperature more consistently. With my memory foam pillows one side has cooling foam the other doesn't (flip for winter/summer).

Any topper can only be as good as the mattress below it. If the mattress is just lacking padding but still has good support (the wires/coils aren't dislodged, compressed, broken) then a topper can make a bed softer and fill in those "voids" with the natural curvature of the spine and body (lets face it very few of us are shaped like a 2x4). If its a newer OEM mattress and you are somewhere south of 700lbs a topper may offer improvement. If your mattress is worn, well a topper is like putting a fresh coat of paint over rotted luan. Not really going to do much good.

The "best" solution would be a new mattress (short or normal depending on your unit), closest to your ideal s&b mattress. Keep in mind though the "best" mattresses are heavier and can eat into your ccc's and/or not be very good if your bedroom slide requires your mattress to contort to fit.

Generally more robust people will want a high density foam (exact same principal with car seats, robust people will want a wider seat with less bolstering and firmer support).

So short story if your mattress isn't worn a topper can add comfort, if not you'll need a better/newer mattress first. Has the mattress always been not very plush or has it gotten much worst recently? former topper should help, latter, Costco/Sleep Country/Store of Choice and try mattresses in person before you buy online. (Type/firmness etc)

A good mattress = better rest = more time to camp =
FREG/P under 45', over 300 hp under 600 lb ft torque.
OrngTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:48 PM   #21
Solo Rvers Club
thanks for the information and advice offered, I think a good quality topper will do the trick as the mattress in my (used) 5er looks and feels almost new, the seller may have replaced the original with their own and again returned the RV mattress when they sold it, I say this as they are both 'robust' and I doubt the mattress would have afforded them any comfort at all. (I didn't ask for obvious reasons)
The mattress looks as if it was never slept on so I think atopper will fit the bill, I shall however take your advice to heart and visit a mattress store just to judge the different comfort levels, I will get a better idea for sure.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to my question, lots of great info!

Young at heart,
Older in other places !
Enokie is offline   Reply With Quote