Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2016, 04:10 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
You don't indicate what type of rv. If MH with duals I would drive it to a shop. If travel trailer I would think about removing the wheel and take it to a shop if it is not a lot of trouble to remove. Either way a slow leak and check regularly I would drive to shop.
Sorry, I should have given more information. It is a 2016 Monaco Diplomat 43. I'm thinking probably too long to have towed down the mountain. It does have duals and a tag axle. Affected tire is the right dual. Coach is only 5 months old and tires have almost 9,000 miles on them. Thanks for your advice.
dano50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2016, 04:19 AM   #16

First thing: I would have no problem driving it to a location where I could get it repaired/replaced as long as you have a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). Air it up, go slow, and stop when it goes down about 25 psi, air it up again.

Second item: If you accept the explanation given to you by your Roadside Assistance plan, they could argue that if you run over something on the road that leads to tire damage, or wheel damage, that could ALSO be construed as an "Accident" relieving the Roadside Assistance plan from responding. That is naturally produced fertilizer from a male bovine. It sounds more like they just didn't want to be bothered. Besides, isn't pretty much anything that goes wrong while traveling an "accident" I mean really, who PLANS for these little distractions?!?

For future reference, what Roadside Assistance plan told you that? I would not accept that answer and would demand that they respond to your situation, ie; come out and replace your tire/wheel when they come in if you decide not to drive it.

Good luck, get it fixed and get out there and .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:20 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
A can of the inflatable tire repair goo, e.g. Slime, might slow it down somemore. Might need a couple cans in a big tire with a big gap.

Shop Slime 16-oz Aerosol Tire Repair Sealant at Lowes.com

If you are religious about checking the pressure frequently and have the means to add as needed while you travel, I see no major risk in driving on a slow leak. If you are the type that means well but then forgets, best not to try it.
Today I ordered a new tire from a commercial tire shop and planned to have them put it on when it comes in next week. They told me not to add anything to the tire for the leak and not to add any air on the trip back. They said if we drove slowly 20-40 we should be fine. It is on the right dual wheel and it has a tag axle. Why do you think the shop is telling me not to use the sealant or add air? If I should be adding air, I would definitely be checking it and adding as needed.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:35 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
First thing: I would have no problem driving it to a location where I could get it repaired/replaced as long as you have a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). Air it up, go slow, and stop when it goes down about 25 psi, air it up again.

Second item: If you accept the explanation given to you by your Roadside Assistance plan, they could argue that if you run over something on the road that leads to tire damage, or wheel damage, that could ALSO be construed as an "Accident" relieving the Roadside Assistance plan from responding. That is naturally produced fertilizer from a male bovine. It sounds more like they just didn't want to be bothered. Besides, isn't pretty much anything that goes wrong while traveling an "accident" I mean really, who PLANS for these little distractions?!?

For future reference, what Roadside Assistance plan told you that? I would not accept that answer and would demand that they respond to your situation, ie; come out and replace your tire/wheel when they come in if you decide not to drive it.

Good luck, get it fixed and get out there and .
Thanks for the advice.

I do have a TPMS, but it is no longer sensing that tire. Not sure why. I will check into that further when I go back on Sunday. I was taking it up to a campsite for my daughter's family to use for the weekend when this occurred. We were close enough to finish the trip and now I am trying to figure out what the best thing to do will be come Sunday.

I agree on the Roadside assistance. It is with Coach-Net. I could also get it through my insurance where I also have coverage. My problem is the rim and tire are not available and are on order now. I don't really want to leave it in the remote location it is in now until the parts arrive. I considered having it towed by the insurance, but I don't think that would be a good idea. It is 44 foot Class A and it would be too tight adding a tow truck to the length.

I was told by the commercial tire shop where I ordered the new tire that I should not add air to it. I would prefer to, but I'm not sure why they insist that would be a bad idea. It is the right rear dual and there is a tag axle. It's a new coach with around 9000 miles on the tires. The coach is 5 month old.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:29 AM   #19
IC2

You have a spare, correct? Put it on and drive it. Don't/can't install the spare? Air up and drive it and at a reasonable speed, not 20 or so mph as that risks rear end collisions, to the repair facility. In the unlikely event that it blows, you still have 2 other wheels and tires back there that will carry the load. I can't understand why someone would say not to add air - doesn't make any sense unless you can see obvious sidewall damage or a bubble on the tire. It held air at pressure until it leaked down over several days. The only precaution I might take is to use a clamp on inflation chuck and stand to one side if I had any qualms. As far as towing - guess what - the tow company will lift the front and transfer more weight to that damaged wheel via the angle he needs to get the front wheels off the ground. You are also risking unnecessary damage to your new MH as towing companies are not always as careful as you would hope.

Oh and that bent wheel - it probably can be repaired to near new condition by a specialty company as many over the road trucks (as well as passenger vehicles) are equipped with aluminum wheels and trucking companies just can't afford to replace too many multi hundred dollar bent wheels.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:19 AM   #20

Commercial Member

If you hit something hard enough to damage the wheel you might also have damaged the tire. Re-inflating the tire outside a "safety cage" might result in explosion.
Numerous videos on Internet including some fatalities of people trying to re-inflate damaged tires.
Since this is a dual you need to consider that the load the leaking tire once carried is being transferred to the mate so the mate could be 50 to 100% overloaded after a short time.
It's not clear why you can't get a service truck to come out.

Driving at reduced speed sounds reasonable but at 100% overload the only acceptable speed is less than 10 mph. Any faster and you may end up damaging the "good" tire so it might fail in a week or month down the road.

Service truck with even a used spare so you can drive no more than 10 miles at less than 30 may be only option but still potential for negative outcome

Sorry I can't be more positive but a hit sufficient to bend/damage a wheel that much is pretty significant. If going to make insurance claim get their input on what they will cover BEFORE taking action. Email would be best as that gives you written record so you don't end up with "he said...she said" situation.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:23 AM   #21

Probably the reason the tire shop is telling you not to ad air is because there is a possibility of when you add air pressure the rim may catastrophically fail. What that means is a piece of the rim could break off with serious consequences.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:34 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
"Roadside assistance" is not intended to take the place of accident insurance and therefore will typically exclude incidents due to an accident. A bent wheel, bent from hitting the curb, would be just that, an accident. Had the tire come apart or blown I'm sure that would be covered but clearly here it did not.

Your regular insurance may well cover if a tow is needed, but sounds like you've got a handle on this.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:49 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I would inflate the inside dual and the tag to the Max rated on the tires. That will increase the load carrying a ability of the two remaining good tires with no harem to those tires. Drop any load, water, black and gray before leaving the CG, move as much weight as possible from the right side, think you did say damage was right side, to the left side. Then drive slowly checking condition frequently. Remember when you lift the tag your weight is on four tires and you will have five, might also increase tag pressure a small amount to transfer load a bit and again drive slow and watch tire temps. You don't say how far you must travel.

LEN
Old 06-25-2016, 08:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano50 View Post
While driving around a tight curve, my right rear wheel snagged the edge of a rock wall and bent the rim. It is about 1.5 inches of the rim that was affected. There is a slow air leak. I was able to make it to my destination about 5 miles up the road and set up camp for the weekend. I have the ability to add air as needed to get it to a repair shop to replace the wheel. Would it be a bad idea to drive it to a shop as long as I checked the air frequently and added as needed? I am a currently camped in a pretty remote location and would prefer to get it somewhere more accessible if possible, but I don't want to do anything to make matters worse. Any ideas to stop the slow leak between the tire and the rim on the way to the shop? There was no damage to the tire or the coach, amazingly enough. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
dano50
1,) If you snagged the edge of a rock wall enough to bend a wheel I doubt that there was no damage to the tire.
2,) Driving with low pressure in one dually, even only a short distance, (or parking a coach with one under-inflated dually), can damage the other tire on that side.

IMO it is best to have the wheel removed, the tire professionally inspected, (and replaced if necessary), and the wheel replaced.

If you have a decent ERS, (emergency roadside service), they will send a mobile tire tech to your location.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:37 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
You have a spare, correct? Put it on and drive it. Don't/can't install the spare? Air up and drive it and at a reasonable speed, not 20 or so mph as that risks rear end collisions, to the repair facility. In the unlikely event that it blows, you still have 2 other wheels and tires back there that will carry the load. I can't understand why someone would say not to add air - doesn't make any sense unless you can see obvious sidewall damage or a bubble on the tire. It held air at pressure until it leaked down over several days. The only precaution I might take is to use a clamp on inflation chuck and stand to one side if I had any qualms. As far as towing - guess what - the tow company will lift the front and transfer more weight to that damaged wheel via the angle he needs to get the front wheels off the ground. You are also risking unnecessary damage to your new MH as towing companies are not always as careful as you would hope.

Oh and that bent wheel - it probably can be repaired to near new condition by a specialty company as many over the road trucks (as well as passenger vehicles) are equipped with aluminum wheels and trucking companies just can't afford to replace too many multi hundred dollar bent wheels.

Nope, didn't come with a spare or I would definitely figure out a way to get it changed. No apparent damage to the tire, so I may just add some air. I would feel a lot better about the drive. I will make sure I have the clamp on inflation chuck. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
A can of the inflatable tire repair goo, e.g. Slime, might slow it down somemore. Might need a couple cans in a big tire with a big gap.

Shop Slime 16-oz Aerosol Tire Repair Sealant at Lowes.com

If you are religious about checking the pressure frequently and have the means to add as needed while you travel, I see no major risk in driving on a slow leak. If you are the type that means well but then forgets, best not to try it.

Tire shops hate the goo when you get a tire replaced.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:12 AM   #27

If you ordered replacements then have it "built" where drlivered.

If you have roadside coverage or towing coverage from your insurance both usually cover changing a flat with a spare.

In this case your spate is not handy.

The roadside guy picks up tire wherever it was delivered to and built then brings it out to you.

After installed KEEP old set to have tire inspected later.

Old rim is worth bucks as scrap or makes for good yard art.

We use rims for hose hangers.

Have tire checked out and if not damaged keep as spare.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:44 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
If you hit something hard enough to damage the wheel you might also have damaged the tire. Re-inflating the tire outside a "safety cage" might result in explosion.
Numerous videos on Internet including some fatalities of people trying to re-inflate damaged tires.
Since this is a dual you need to consider that the load the leaking tire once carried is being transferred to the mate so the mate could be 50 to 100% overloaded after a short time.
It's not clear why you can't get a service truck to come out.

Driving at reduced speed sounds reasonable but at 100% overload the only acceptable speed is less than 10 mph. Any faster and you may end up damaging the "good" tire so it might fail in a week or month down the road.

Service truck with even a used spare so you can drive no more than 10 miles at less than 30 may be only option but still potential for negative outcome

Sorry I can't be more positive but a hit sufficient to bend/damage a wheel that much is pretty significant. If going to make insurance claim get their input on what they will cover BEFORE taking action. Email would be best as that gives you written record so you don't end up with "he said...she said" situation.
Thank you! After reading this I have decided to just leave it where it is and wait for the tire and rim I have ordered to arrive. I will get the new spare up there and changed before I try to drive it. Too much at stake here. I have called the insurance company and waiting for a callback since it is the weekend. Thanks again.

Tags
advice