Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #1

Best acoustic material for gen set

I have room to add acoustical material around my Onan 3600 KY generator. The compartment and generator will accommodate 1/2" and 1" material, depending on location around the unit. Clearances and venting requirements per Onan installation manual will be observed. That said, what is the best acoustic material to use that has a 200 degree self-extinguishing rating. Rigid sheets are preferable. I found the appropriate adhesive. Thanks for your help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
I have room to add acoustical material around my Onan 3600 KY generator. The compartment and generator will accommodate 1/2" and 1" material, depending on location around the unit. Clearances and venting requirements per Onan installation manual will be observed. That said, what is the best acoustic material to use that has a 200 degree self-extinguishing rating. Rigid sheets are preferable. I found the appropriate adhesive. Thanks for your help.

The Official Dynamat Website

Dynamat is good stuff. It has incredible sound proofing characteristics.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used this stuff. While it is self adhesive, I used 3M spray adhesive to make sure it stayed put. 8 years lining the doghouse and the generator compartment and still looks new.
WEST MARINE Noise Control Barrier Material at West Marine
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #4

Agree re dynamat, good stuff

It is important to factor in air circulation for cooling, especially if your gen is air cooled, when packing/placing the absorbant material around the gen housing.

Putting a noise absorbing mat under the gen, direct on concrete or asphalt, helps, as do acoustic barriers to deflect/redirect and absorb noise.

Suggest you get a DB meter or an acoustic measuring App for a smart phone and experiment by measuring DB levels from fixed positions with different acoustic absorption materials and other noise abating measures in place. My free android "Noise Meter" app works great and tracks with my stand alone DB meter. It is much better to have some empirical data from which to base decisions.

Start by setting up a test plan, such as identify monitoring locations and measure without doing any abatement action and then record the effect for each time you put an noise reduction feature in place. It will be generally a trial and error method until you reach an optimum fix.

It is also a Good idea to measure temperatures around the gen as you apply the various acoustic dampening materials closer to the engine or air passageways.

The effect of Gen noise can be reduced markedly by the carefull positioning of absorbant materials and baffles.

Additional exhaust redirecting and mufflers also help. (But caution on the mufflers that put too much back pressure which could reduce the gen power, increase fuel consumption, and cause premature gen failure.)

Good luck, you can reduce the ambient DB level footprint markedly with well thought out and applied noise dampening techniques.

Dynamat works.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #5

Here is what I'm planning for right now:
Onan Exhaust Resonator 155-2449 Cummins Onan 155-2449 Generator Exhaust Resonator for MicroLite and MicroQuiet Camper Trailer RV
SuperTrapp S3 with resonator and six diffuser discs. https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...D=SUPERTRAPP3S
Cascade Audio VB-TSM RV and marine engine compartments noise control
West Marine Noise Control Barrier WEST MARINE Noise Control Barrier Material at West Marine
The VB-TSM is 1.125" thick and will be used anywhere I can to meet the .25" separation from the unit per Onan. Where it is closer I will employ the 1" or 1/2" Noise Barrier.