Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Best American bank for multi-locations

Another newbie question, thanks in advance for any help given.

We live in Canada and enjoy traveling in the States. It would appear that buying gas using cash might save us some dough. This means that we need to access a cash machine often so we are not carrying too much money on us.

Up here the CIBC (Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce) for example is all over the place. Also there is no charge for withdrawing money from their ATM's if you keep a certain amount of dough in your account.

Which American bank should we open an account in for traveling through out the States?

Thanks

KTK

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Bank of America weighs in at 16,000 U.S.

Read more: Which bank has the most ATMs in US

The only state, that I know of, in which there are no BOA ATM's or branches is Mississippi.

JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #3

JJ has given you the best option with Bank of America. Have traveled most states and B of A is accessable in most, even though I'm not a fan of B of A. Chase might be another option.
bailer6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTheKanuck View Post
Another newbie question, thanks in advance for any help given.

We live in Canada and enjoy traveling in the States. It would appear that buying gas using cash might save us some dough. This means that we need to access a cash machine often so we are not carrying too much money on us.

Up here the CIBC (Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce) for example is all over the place. Also there is no charge for withdrawing money from their ATM's if you keep a certain amount of dough in your account.

Which American bank should we open an account in for traveling through out the States?

Thanks

KTK

According to a quick Google search, guess they don't have Google in Canada.........
The three US banks with the most ATMs are Bank of America, Chase,
and Wells Fargo, in that order.
As far as I know, US banks don't charge anything to withdraw money from
an ATM, as long as it is your banks ATM, and you have any money in the bank.

And yes, B of A sucks.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The best bank for travelers in the US is not a bank but a Credit Union. here is why.

Very few banks (if any) are present in every state and they all charge for "Guest" use of an ATM (That is if you have an account at Chase, and take money out at say Best Bank, there is a fee, same the other way around)

But many credit uniions belong to, well, a "Credit Union Union" and thus the odds are about 90% that any credit union you go to will let you withdraw for free.

And if you find one that does not... There will be one that does "just down the road" in most cases.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #6

Just a thought, some/many grocery stores will give you cash with a purchase. I have received as much as $200.

Jim E
Old 09-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
According to a quick Google search, guess they don't have Google in Canada.........
The three US banks with the most ATMs are Bank of America, Chase,
and Wells Fargo, in that order.
As far as I know, US banks don't charge anything to withdraw money from
an ATM, as long as it is your banks ATM, and you have any money in the bank.

And yes, B of A sucks.

Yep!
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The best bank for travelers in the US is not a bank but a Credit Union. here is why.

Very few banks (if any) are present in every state and they all charge for "Guest" use of an ATM (That is if you have an account at Chase, and take money out at say Best Bank, there is a fee, same the other way around)

But many credit uniions belong to, well, a "Credit Union Union" and thus the odds are about 90% that any credit union you go to will let you withdraw for free.

And if you find one that does not... There will be one that does "just down the road" in most cases.
x 10 plus they are very friendly and live operaters almost every credit union will accept you ATM card. we just keep more balance than we need and never run out of $$$ what we do is keep a few bux in the primary acct and transfer from our money market as neede
brianj
Old 09-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have used BofA for over 40 years now, and have, and still am, very satisfied with their service. I do about 95% of my banking via the internet. I have both a Visa and a debit card with BofA.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #10

Initially I used Bank of America then Wells Fargo but now for several years have used a local credit union which allows members to use other credit unions for cash withdrawals. I pay my bills on line using the same credit union. Also several years ago I would use a debit card at Walmart and take out extra cash when making a purchase. I don't know if they still do that. As a side note when we drove to Alaska a couple of years ago the credit union did not charge a fee for the currency exchange when we purchased items in Canada.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
You might want to ask a BOA rep about their "1-2-3" credit card. Cash back for all purchases including groceries and fuel. 1%, 2% or 3%

Jusy saying.........

Some how seems there is a BOA whever we go.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Bank of America has my vote too. Plus, I like the way they set up the online banking format. Clean, simple to use.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
Just a thought, some/many grocery stores will give you cash with a purchase. I have received as much as $200.

Jim E
Times 2 on the store purchase and get cash back.
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In spite son personal objection, I've stuck with B of A. There's exception to all the banks listed above. While I was in east Texas for several months, it was 38 miles to the nearest B of A ATM and it was a cash withdrawal only machine, had to go another 6 miles to make one VA travel check deposit and get the correct mailing address. Ended up doing a lot of cash over purchases at Wally World. Our son and his wife just moved to Charlottesville, VA, and had to close their Chase accounts because the nearest Chance branch is 35 miles from where they live.

VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote