Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-13-2016, 02:18 PM   #1
Best bank for full time RVing?

If your going to be a full time RVer is there a preferred way of banking that is better if your all over the country? National bank, online banking, credit union etc.

Thanks, Joe

Joe Koppel-San Diego
jmk909er is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
We happen to use a credit union...only because we're anti-bigbank. We bank by computer and thru the mails. NEVER bank using public WiFi...IT'S ABOUT AS SAFE AS JUS' MAILING THE PERPS YOUR ACCOUNTS.

2014 XLR 415AMP, 2011 F350 6.7 DRW, restored 82 Wing, 02 Shadow, 06 ST1300A, NRA Benefactors.
dwhit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:01 PM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
USAA if you're a Veteran.
Tank Thomas, USAF Ret.
There are no secrets to success. It's the result of preparation, hard work and learning from mistakes.

BigBlockTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:49 PM   #4
We've used Fidelity and Vanguard along with Bank of America and Wells Fargo. All worked for us. We dealt very little with the banks as we do everything online, AutoPay, direct deposits, etc. We don't carry much paper money - everything is done via a credit card that is paid off completely every month. We get excellent CashBack Rewards for using it - like free money. If we want to carry minimal cash we can get cash from WalMart at the check-out with our credit card. It worked for us in 16 years of full-timing.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:35 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I'll stick with Chase. Branches everywhere, outstanding online services, and as a veteran I pay no monthly fee.

Free, convenient nationwide locations, and full banking services online or fact to face. If there is anything lacking that I could only get from another bank I haven't discovered it yet.
Joseph and Sandy
Arizona Sunbirds

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:40 AM   #6
Happy Traveler : )

I find today that your same LOCAL bank has all of the requirements to meet your needs while on the road - cash access from any ATM(or get free cash during checkouts at big box stores), direct deposit of checks via smartphone app, Online/email statements, etc.

We've full timed for over two years and have never changed form our small local 'no name' bank, or have had any need to. I certainly have no need or desire to change to a 'big name' bank just because I don't live right next to my local bank. : )

another ++ is that people at your local bank know you - it's a lot easier handling any 'out of the ordinary' things when you're not just a number.

we mostly also use our Walmart MC anywhere in the US and Canada instead of our bank debit card since it gives us money back and immediately shows up in the Walmart online account
The Turners 2014 Thor Palazzo DP 33.3 35' Bunkhouse
BlueOx, '14 Ford Fiesta, DishHD, KingTailgater2, WifiRanger
50k+miles, 200+ parks, 47 states&Canada provinces, since Aug'14
MisterT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:02 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use Wells Fargo and it is available in a lot of places. All of our banking is done online with Bill Pay, and checks deposited by smart phone.

We get by our "home" bank once or twice a year. When we need cash, we find a money machine that works with our bank.

Our daughter is on record as a signature on the checking and savings account and the safety deposit box.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #8
Best bank. That's funny.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
rxoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:22 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Most banks and credit unions now offer full online access, bill paying, etc., so traveling fulltime really makes no difference. You can even deposit paper checks via a smart phone camera & app. You can probably stay with the bank you now have, if you like. Check into their online banking services.

We have accounts at both a branch of BB&T and a regional credit union and rarely ever visit their offices for any reason.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2013 Buick Verano
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:37 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I use my Technicolor Federal Credit Union in Burbank for some banking, mostly for my loans and the majority of my banking is through Wells Fargo. The main reason for using Wells Fargo is that they have branches in Alaska plus thousands of branches all over the country. They are also far more friendlier to deal with than Bank of America.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:46 AM   #11
What ever one you like. In the end you'll probable never set foot in it again in your life as a fulltumer. We have a local bank for on our previous life and Allianr Credit Union
Ron & Linda
2000 Dynasty 38PBS
Full time since 2007
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
State Farm Bank is an online bank with no brick and mortar buildings. They have no fees and you can use almost any cash machine. they will reimburse 2.50 up to 5 times a month if you are charged a fee. I have been very happy with them. they have a visa that gives points too. you can use it for cash into a savings account. Statefarm.com
Marianne & Jerry.
2005 Winnebago Journey 36G C-7 Cat 350HP. Areo Muffler.
2014 Honda CRV
inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:54 PM   #13
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
We happen to use a credit union...only because we're anti-bigbank. We bank by computer and thru the mails. NEVER bank using public WiFi...IT'S ABOUT AS SAFE AS JUS' MAILING THE PERPS YOUR ACCOUNTS.
Not true at all, as long as the link to your bank is via https - which it will almost certainly be - all data transfer is fully encrypted between you and them.

That's the same for every website you go to. I buy on numerous sites (amazon and ebay for example) and have no concern about the WIFI that I connect to - I used CC and paypal and have never had an issue. My wife, on the other hand, seems to get scammed with far more frequency going to brick and mortar stores.
kevindtimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #14

Best bank for full time RVing?

Banking? Haven't been inside a bank nor used an ATM for many years. Been with the same credit union for over 35 years, and never any fees!
If like your bank and they have a good global online services, you're good to go.

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote

full time, rving