Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #15
What size battery does a 1999 bounder use? Just bought this unit and the battery looks smaller than the holder it is sitting in. Battery seems to small and will not stay charged when sitting long periods of time

clemson mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #16
Just replaced our four 5 year old Interstate U2200's with the Interstate GC2 UTL batteries from Costco--same as the U2200's $97.28 ea including tax & core turn-in.

Jim & SherrySeward

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #17
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Replaced mine recently with the Costco GC batteries. Looked physically IDENTICAL to the Trojan 105s that came out (except a different color). Just don't hook em up backwards like I did, and they'll work great for you. Mine were ~$70 each.
Our local Costco just started handling them, they're $84.95 plus core of $9.00 and sales tax.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #18
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dang QUOTE tool is not working.

Originally Posted by Scoutmstr
AGM are best
What makes them best, And before you answer understand that I have done my research am unable to find one thing that makes them best provided you can mount the batteries "This side up" Nothing to recommend them over maintenence free, and not much to recommend those over Flooded wet cells (Unless access for watering and cleaning is an issue) Given the difference in price, it's like getting paid 50/hr for cleaning and watering, I can take that (Which is why I dropped AGM, in favor of wet types) I might add, Both Lifeline's web page and my expierence say AGM will not outlast other types.. In fact other types will outlast AGM's.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #19
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by clemson mike View Post
What size battery does a 1999 bounder use? Just bought this unit and the battery looks smaller than the holder it is sitting in. Battery seems to small and will not stay charged when sitting long periods of time
Your Bounder should hold 2 golf cart batteries, here is the dimensions of one.

Trojan T-105s 6 volt
Length Width Height Weight
10.375" 7.125" 10.875" 62 lbs

If you only have one battery now, it is 12v. Just be sure you are not looking at the chassis battery (engine starting). If you only have 1 coach battery, you definitely want 2 12v deep cycle or better yet, 2 6v golf cart batteries. The trojans are the best and interstate u2200s are equal or a very close second.

Any battery will self discharge if let to sit over long periods! You MUST fully charge them at least once per month and check water levels. The very best thing to do is keep them on a trickle charger. These batteries can last 10 years or 1 year, it all depends on how you take care of them.
John & Clare - Buck & Zeus - Jack & Husky
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
Towd: 2 HD Streetglides
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #20
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Dang QUOTE tool is not working.
It is working. They broke the page layout somehow with their changes today. Scroll WAYYY to the RIGHT, and the reply box is there.
2002 National Dolphin LX 6356
Workhorse W-22 chassis
Don't believe everything you think.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #21
When we bough our rig in 2010, th single 12V house battery was completely shot. The tray was big enough for two batteries, so I went to Costco and got two of their deep-cycle RV/Marine batteries. I think they were about $70 apiece.

Two seasons - no problems. I keep AC power on the rig when docked at the house, but put the battery switch to the "storage" position. No problems evident so far. I'll be cranking the rig up in a couple of weeks, so the story may change!
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #22
National RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by ernsue View Post
Along the same line,,,I have a 2011 Southwind 32V with 2 12V should I upgrade to 4 6V when they need replacing,,there is room with a little alteration,,
You will get more amp hours out of 4 6v batteries than 2 12v. When my current coach batteries are done, I am going to look at the same thing to see if there is room but room aside it will depend on the cost. I don't rely a lot on coach batteries. As long as I can get through a couple of evenings with coach lights, I am generally fine. So I am not going to shatter my piggy bank too much for the 4 6v.
1999 - National Tropi Cal
sirpurrcival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #23
Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
AGM's have several advantages.

#1 They don't need constant attention to keeping cells filled with water. (very easy to forget when in storage) Also, access for filling may be very limited.
#2 No off gassing so less corrosion.
#3 They can take higher current/amperage charge rate for shorter time running the genset.
#4 They can also take more abuse of drawing down below 50% capacity without permanent damage.

That being said, Yes, they are more expensive and that must be taken into consideration.

Deka & Trojan are very good wet cells and Surrette/Rolls are reported as one of the very best but also quite expensive.

08 Intrigue
2014 Ford Edge
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #24
I have two 6v deep cycle Interstates in my Bounder. I change out my RV, vehicle and motorcycle batteries every three to three and one half years, even if they are still taking a charge. Cheap insurance as far as I am concerned. Getting stuck in west Texas with a dead battery can ruin your day....50 miles from the nearest human and no cell signal....

When I get a new battery(s) I charge them 24+ hours with a battery charger to insure 100% charge. Most dealers charge to 80% (or not at all) so you never know what you are getting.

I put a charger on my RV chassis and coach batteries two or three days every month. I keep my mower, tractor and motorcycles plugged in 24/7. Have not had a battery problem in many years...it works for me.

Cost? Not much compared to getting help and batteries when you are between Lajitas and Redford, TX. (I know, don't go there..ha ha)
USAF Ret. Sony Corp. Ret.
1999 Bounder 34J, Ford V10
Boerne, TX
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #25
Bought my last set of four Golf Cart Battires from Sams Club. I've read enough about Trojans but I got 9 years out of my last set of non-Trojan batteries.I think if you follow the 3 rules of battery maintainence you stand a good chance of longer life with any kind.
#1 Keep them charged
#2 Keep them full of distilled water
#3 Keep them clean
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #26
Tiffin Owners Club
Two items you don't want to skimp on: batteries and tires.

I recommend the Lifeline AGM's. I use them on the coach (deep cycle), and use Trojans to start the Cummins. Had to replace all the junkers that came from the original owner. I have 400 amp-hrs available, and they run the inverter and newly installed residential fridge just fine. BTW you can recharge the AGM's much faster than std lead-acid.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #27
There's a selection of deep-cycle batteries to choose from:

Two types for RV - Flooded lead acid & Sealed Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM)

Gel's require different charging characteristics.

Sampling of brand names for 6 volts are... Rolls-Surrette, Trojan, U.S. Battery, Lifeline, DEKA, and Johnson Control products to name a few.

Proper battery maintenance according to design will help extend their value in use & replacement cost. Warranties can range from 1 year to 7 years with differing rates of proration. Pricing will reflect factors such as durability, component materials used in their construction, manufacturing process, length of manufacturers warranty & their reputation.

Determining how you will treat your battery bank is a first step to determining in what direction you should begin in your selection, "wet cell flooded lead acid" or AGM. Cost up front or periodic based on how you treat your investment, replace every year or two instead of 3, 5, or more?

May they be a blessing to you, once you've made your choice.

TravelingJoe is offline   Reply With Quote