Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Best Emergency Road Service??

I purchased my Tioga Montera new last March from Camping World and as a result of a new purchase I had Good Sam, Fleetwood and Ford emergency road service.

I used Good Sam once as I damaged a tire side wall and they came and mounted my spare for me promptly and I was happy with the service.

Now 1 year later I only have Ford emergency road service as there is no charge for this for 5yrs 50,000 mi.

Can anyone tell me if the Ford emergency service is any good? I have a new spare which I carry and they indicate that I have jump start, emergency fuel, lock out svc. and spare mounting. I think the towing is ony for 35mi to a Ford dealer though.

Do you recommend I renew Good Sam and have the 2 services or just go on the free Ford service. After 1 year I only have 12,000 mi on the coach so Ford would cover me for quite some time

seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not familiar with the Ford service, so can't comment on that. We have used Good Sam since 2001, and have only had one bad experience with them when we were stranded out in the desert and they couldn't find any help for us.

I'm planning to switch to CoachNet when our plan comes up for renewal. From what I read they are better equipped to handle larger motorhomes.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:11 PM   #3

I have been using Coach Net for several years I've called on their road service twice, and the response was very fast.

Additionally they will help over the phone to try to help your resolve your issue.
Last time I used their road service, they call me the next day to see if the job was done and was I satisfied with their recommendation. They seem to be all about customer service.

Best of luck!!
Old 03-24-2015, 02:18 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Coach subscriber here. Also covers my wife and son's daily drivers IF there is ever a need.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:06 AM   #5

I'm of a different mindset. Keeping in mind that all the company's use pretty much the same towing/roadside outfits, I just added the roadside assistance rider to my Progressive policy which only set me back an additional $24 per yr.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
I'm of a different mindset. Keeping in mind that all the company's use pretty much the same towing/roadside outfits, I just added the roadside assistance rider to my Progressive policy which only set me back an additional $24 per yr.

Same here Ramets, talked to a Progressive rep last week just to make sure the coverage was comparable to Sams and Coach Net
All Good!!!
Old 03-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #7

Anyone can change your spare tire, the test is who will send the right sized tow truck within a few hours to tow your Tioga 120 miles to the closest repair facility on a Sunday afternoon when you're out in the middle of no where.
Depends on where you travel, but out west your 35 mile limit wouldn't get you to the next crossroad, let alone a Ford dealer.
Ford, like most of the manufacturer and insurance provided road service plans, do not operate it themselves, they farm it out to a 3rd party, usually Agreo, the largest road service operator in the country.

We each have our own preferences & priorities, my free time is more valuable than the cost of 10 annual road service plans. I want the best chance someone will respond when and where I need them, so I have plans with both Coach-Net and Good Sam road service and consider their cost peanuts in the overall annual budget of traveling around the country fulltime in a large motorhome that not every local yocal is qualified to tow.
While its true that in some areas the agencies would all rely on calling the same local tow truck service, the feedback I get from those tow truck services is that they respond quicker to some than others based on the negotiated or imposed fee structure in their service contract. If Ford or Good Sam has squeezed them to a barely break even rate for towing, they are less likely to be available Sunday afternoon. or if they get 2 calls near the same time, the one with the better rate gets priority. Whether its AAA, Good Sam or Coach-Net, they are also committed to using the service providers they have agreements with first. So there may be an available tow truck 10 miles away from you, but if Good Sam doesn't have a contract with them, they may call a tow truck 50 miles away who's too busy and tell you no one is available right now. Having more than one option has helped me several times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb1899 View Post
I purchased my Tioga Montera new last March from Camping World and as a result of a new purchase I had Good Sam, Fleetwood and Ford emergency road service.

I used Good Sam once as I damaged a tire side wall and they came and mounted my spare for me promptly and I was happy with the service.

Now 1 year later I only have Ford emergency road service as there is no charge for this for 5yrs 50,000 mi.

Can anyone tell me if the Ford emergency service is any good? I have a new spare which I carry and they indicate that I have jump start, emergency fuel, lock out svc. and spare mounting. I think the towing is ony for 35mi to a Ford dealer though.

Do you recommend I renew Good Sam and have the 2 services or just go on the free Ford service. After 1 year I only have 12,000 mi on the coach so Ford would cover me for quite some time
Old 03-25-2015, 09:30 AM   #8
Commercial Member

We use Good Sam.....used them 3 times in the past 10 yrs. and every time was a good experience.
niceguy9605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:14 AM   #9

[QUOTE=Jim2;2480171]Anyone can change your spare tire, the test is who will send the right sized tow truck within a few hours to tow your Tioga 120 miles to the closest repair facility on a Sunday afternoon when you're out in the middle of no where.

I can only give my personal experience with Progressive Roadside assist. We were in Destruction Bay, Yukon Territory, now that's in the middle of no where, and needed a tow. The closest towing co. was in White Horse, 180 miles away. I called Progressive and they took care of everything. You figure the truck had to travel 360 miles round trip. Not only that, I told Progressive I wanted our coach put on a trailer, not towed over all the frost heaves. Again, Progressive was great to deal with. The way they've treated us has made me a fan. Plus our renewal actually went down $20.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Loaded.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	89632  

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service