Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2014, 04:01 AM   #1

Best mattress for "heavy" people

HI - we just bought a 99 Prowler and the mattress has some mold or mildew on it. How should I try to clean it? OR if we need to buy a new one what is a good one for a heavy person that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I am leary that the foam ones would have enough support. I found one on line at Walmart that is a Slumper1 that has inner coils. Has anyone tired this? We have a full size bed which is only 49" wide. ANY help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Lighthouse l is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2014, 04:12 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
mold/mildew, i would get it out of rv asap. as for buying a new one, we just bought a class a. mattress was good shape but not new, went to kohls an bought a 3in gel mattress pad, made the mattress feel like a 1000$ one. in my house i have a 2 sided pillow top one, (cost me over $900), but i like one in rv better.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:50 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As already mentioned, if it has mold on it get it out of the unit. Your best bet would be to visit a mattress outlet and lay on a few of them to see what works best for you. It's knid of hard to suggest a mattress for you because what may work for one person may not work for another. Good luck and hope you find something comfortable.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:03 AM   #4

Try MattressInsider

MattressInsider.com | Custom Size Mattress

Nice folks ... fast delivery ... we love our new foam Olympic Queen.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:24 AM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a firm conventional foam queen size 5" from Chair Cushion, Boat Cushions, Replacement Cushions, Patio Cushion it is a bit too firm for my wife. I will also say ditch the moldy one ASAP. One other alternative is a sleep number bed mattress which can be had on Ebay for a good price and can be sterilized unlike a conventional mattress.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:34 AM   #6

One of the first thing we replaced in our rig was the mattress. After sleeping on it for about five or six times, we gave it to some friends and put in a Temperpedic. We love it. They come in about five different styles from firm to very soft. Should support about any size person
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:49 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lighthouse, I am a 'heavy' person and I am so comfortable on this new mattress I bought from Camping World, but I don't see them on their website anymore, here is what I have, and after I removed the waterproof (latex) mattress cover I put on that was making me hot at night and put on a regular mattress cover, I sleep like a baby!

Innerspring Pocketed Coil RV Mattress

It was on sale for like 230.00 or so when I bought it a couple years ago from CW, I see they are a little pricier.... :(
Old 01-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
As already mentioned, if it has mold on it get it out of the unit. Your best bet would be to visit a mattress outlet and lay on a few of them to see what works best for you. It's knid of hard to suggest a mattress for you because what may work for one person may not work for another. Good luck and hope you find something comfortable.
X 1,000!!!!

Thom and I tried foam, gel, sleep number and oh lots of different ones. Slept on them and tried them. We HATED them!! What works for us is a firm euro pillow top. Cost us about $800 but we live full time in here and sleep on it every nite.

Go to several stores and try out as many as you can!!!! You will find what works for you.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The first thing that we bought for out RV was new mattress, In the house I have foam I-Comforts but for the RV we got the ones from Costco. They are nice, pillow top and only $300 for the pair. My kids have them in there rooms and they like them.
DDDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #10

I purchased a gel mattress with foam much cooler to sleep on you can go to most mattress stores and they will have it cut to size you need . Good Luck
greg-1 is offline   Reply With Quote