Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Best method for adding graphics/theme to RV?

We have just acquired a Class A motorhome for a web based reality type show called "Bibi's Road Trip". If interested you can see details on the project here...

"ROAD TRIP" with Bibi the African Grey Parrot

As part of the project we would like to 'theme' the RV. The RV is older (1995) and the lamination is already pretty damaged anyway. So the goal would be to theme the sides with graphics appropriate for the show such as a large picture of her, the name of the website we will use, and graphics from a few of her sponsors.

One possibility we have considered is some sort of thin printed vinyl banner. But I expect that it would flap around even if tethered rather tightly. The graphics will only need to be of high quality for 2-3 months. So it doesn't have to be a long term solution that will last for years. Just something that will theme the RV for a few months while we are shooting the project.

We have artists that could paint on a surface but naturally with the lamination flaking away on the motorhome we will need to lay down something else first.

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions.

BibiRoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a friend who had her 36' Bounder wrapped. I will call her tomorrow and get some more info. It looked good and she didn't have any problems with it peeling away.

train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
Originally Posted by train View Post
I have a friend who had her 36' Bounder wrapped. I will call her tomorrow and get some more info. It looked good and she didn't have any problems with it peeling away.
Thanks a ton!
Old 08-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That is an interesting idea....it works for NASCAR.

2004 37B Adventurer, 8.1 WH, Ultrapower, DIY CAI, Henderson Track Bar, Tru Center, Koni FSD's, Roadmaster Even Brake, Scan Guage II, 180 Thermostat,
Davel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ditto to Train...it's called "A Wrap."

They use photo grade vinyl printed with whatever you want. The panels are usually 48" wide, so it reminded me of a BIG wall-papering project, only with vinyl.

You can order one panel or a "full body wrap...like West Coast Customs did a RV full body wrap for JuiceBlenz, and I think the "SPY" RV was a wrap too:
RV - The World Famous West Coast CustomsŪ

Just do an internet search for "Auto Wrap" in your town.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:54 AM   #6
I believe you can get a "Wrap" in gloss or semi-gloss.
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
You can get the wrap or there are many companies that will just make the graphics you want. You give them a computer design and tell them what size. The graphics are applied just like the ones that come on RV 's now.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
Where we are they completely wrap the transit busses, the busses are rolling billboards, offsets the operating costs.

You supply the base artwork as well as photos and dimensions of your unit, and after you work on the artwork they produce the wrap.

Windows and all, the wrap can be made to see through, so you can cover the whole side.

Not sure who does them, gogle buss wrap and see what you get.
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
You might check with your insurance company and/or lawyer. I've read cautions that advertising on side of RV makes it a commercial vehicle, subject to ICC regulations and other nonsense including different insurance. Not trying to scare you, but it could be costly to be stopped on the highway.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
Here is the website for the company that did my friends RV, I am sure someone would be more than willing to help

Home - Vital Signs
train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
Thanks for all the great tips and advice. The insurance thing is definitely a concern. After talking with a few companies it seems the real issue is if people are coming into the RV or riding around in it as part of the business. They seem less concerned about advertising on the side. However... Bibi does have corporate sponsors and my growing concern is if there was an accident regardless of who is at fault, that people will know they are the ones with the deep pockets and people can be very litigious.

One insurance company was pretty clear that people can be in the RV unless they are being paid to be there (ie employees or under contract). I guess that makes sense otherwise none of us could have friends or family inside the RV without being in violation of the insurance exemptions. We are also seeing more and more instances where ordinary citizens are receiving advertising money from companies for painting their cars or even more wild... tatooing something on their body.

I'm definitely seeing this issue as the #1 barrier as to if we want to even do a 'moving RV' wrap. It maybe best for us to just have a printed banner that we can string up once the RV is parked at our destination. Then before heading out we would take it down and pack it up. That way in the event of an accident I doubt there would be any real issues around a grey area of commercial vs personal use. Obviously if this was financed by 'big hollywood' or something we wouldn't be riding around in a 1995 Gulfstream and insurance would be for them to worry about.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had custom graphics created for us at Badbrush.com; vehicle graphics, commercial signs, real estate signs, vintage graphics, racing graphics, motocross graphics, decals, motocross decals, motocross parts, motocross accessories Note on their home page is a similar application. We had an accident that required replacement of one side of our trailer they were able to reproduce the graphic they had created exactly.

Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote