Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #15

That new roof you put on was put on because it "needed" a new roof. Why would you expect more for your rig because of it. Based on that statement of yours it would appear to me that you are no different than 98% of us that we hold our possessions to dearly to our heart and make emotion based decisions, not fact. My advice for what its worth is you and only you can make the realistic decision on what your rig is worth. Research as has been suggested what similar rigs around the country are going for and pick a price 10%-20% below that as what you'll receive. Don't even look at NADA's prices above the lowest that they post. As far as getting that rig ready to sell, that will be on you. Dealers prep their own used inventory about as good as a homeless guy cleans his bathroom, why would they bother with your consign rig? This is of course if your are willing to pay through the nose for them to make a tidy profit off of their farming out the work that you should do yourself. Sorry to seem so harsh but when my DW and I bought our first RV nine years ago I knew that when the day comes that we either tire of the lifestyle or are to old to do anymore we will be basically giving away the rig of the moment to get out as clean and fast as possible. Good Luck.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
That new roof you put on was put on because it "needed" a new roof. Why would you expect more for your rig because of it. Based on that statement of yours it would appear to me that you are no different than 98% of us that we hold our possessions to dearly to our heart and make emotion based decisions, not fact. My advice for what its worth is you and only you can make the realistic decision on what your rig is worth. Research as has been suggested what similar rigs around the country are going for and pick a price 10%-20% below that as what you'll receive. Don't even look at NADA's prices above the lowest that they post. As far as getting that rig ready to sell, that will be on you. Dealers prep their own used inventory about as good as a homeless guy cleans his bathroom, why would they bother with your consign rig? This is of course if your are willing to pay through the nose for them to make a tidy profit off of their farming out the work that you should do yourself. Sorry to seem so harsh but when my DW and I bought our first RV nine years ago I knew that when the day comes that we either tire of the lifestyle or are to old to do anymore we will be basically giving away the rig of the moment to get out as clean and fast as possible. Good Luck.
Well...I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. My point was not that it's worth MORE money because of the roof. My point is that if I'm asking LESS money than all of the other rigs out there, AND mine comes with a brand new roof that has a lifetime warranty, that represents VALUE to a potential buyer. I'm not asking extra money because of it. But if you're a buyer, and my coach is priced below what other coaches of the same model and year are priced, and mine has a new roof...that has value to a buyer. If you buy that OTHER coach, how long before you have roof issues?...a year?...5yrs?...who knows?...but with my coach, you will never have a roof issue, period. Value.
NADA, which I don't think is all that accurate, says the value of my coach is about $70k. I'm probably going to list it at around $57k, and go from there, so no, I don't think I have an over-inflated sense of what my stuff is worth
But thanks for the comment anyway

Jim

Old 04-08-2015, 01:50 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think you might get a tad more money from a personal buyer for improvements and major repairs/upgrades if you have all the things they want.

A dealer won't care about anything you did to the coach as long as it has what is expected. As an example, my residential refer, new floor, new sat TV system, AGS...is of little consideration for a dealer when it comes to buying/trading in my coach. However, to a personal buyer looking specifically for these items in a model similar or the same as mine might give it some premium since my coach didn't come with any of that stuff from the dealer. It really depends on how important they are to a potential buyer.

I know for me I would consider a higher price if I didn't have to do all that because I would after buying it.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #18

I agree...to a degree
I'm not looking to get paid on a lot of upgrades...I haven't done many upgrades other than the televisions.
But they DO get a lot of traffic, without me having to be there for every showing.

As I said in the initial post...there's no "right" or "wrong" answer...because it's based on so many personal things. How much is your time worth?...how far away from home is the unit stored?, how much "free" time do you have to deal with that?

I think that the consignment route offers a lot of convenience, and yeah, you end up paying for that.

We'll see.

Stay tuned
Old 04-08-2015, 06:10 PM   #19

Not sure where you are in Florida, but I just bought my Motorhome from "RV Kountry" in Fort Myers. They only sell "Consignment" units and their rate is 10%. They are very particular in what they sell and have been in business for 30+ years. It is a family run business. If you call them, ask for Everett. He is very knowledgeable. They are right across the street from North Trail RV.

Good Luck,
Jerry
Old 04-08-2015, 07:00 PM   #20

I recently sold my Airstream Interstate 3500 very quickly on RV Trader.com

I received a lot of calls (many from people wanting to advertise it) but sold it fairly online.
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:56 AM   #21

How accurate is NADA pricing anyway? PS, I sold my motor home on Craig's List last year.

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:48 PM   #22

Does including in your ad, (selling due to health reasons) help or hurt your sale? What is your take on this question?

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:59 PM   #23

Based on your comment about not wanting to deal with tire kickers and the hassle of trying to sale it yourself I would recommend a consignment dealer. Some consignment lots do not work on a percentage but on what they can get above your "bottom line". When I sold my TT via a consignment lot I wanted 12,500. They listed it at 19,999 and sold it at 17,500. The fact that they made more than 10% did not bother me since I got my bottom line amount. So shop consignment dealers to see if one will work with the pricing you have in mind. It would only take a few phone calls to see how a few places handle consignments in your area of FL.

Mike
Old 07-06-2015, 05:20 PM   #24

Two months ago we bought a motorhome, yep from Lazy Days. Not a bad experience. We traded our 2005 Toy Hauler 5'er in the deal. LD gave me trade in value right out of the book. Our 5'er was nice, kept in a carport, never hit anything, decals in tact, still shinny.

I wanted to do better than that, so I listed it on Craigslist. (a rant of mine is people who act like the sky is falling cause they get junk email,,,, how hard is it to hit delete?) I had nothing to lose. If it sold, I was ahead, if not I would trade it at LD's when we picked our motorhome up 2 weeks later. I did not get junk emails, I did get some who immediatly wanted to drop my price, sight unseen. I politley declined those.

It sold on Craigslist. Our 5'er was clean, it was well taken care of, and I got more than trade-in, and less than a dealer would sell it for. I ended up a few grand better than what I had already agreed to.

I suggest you get it ready, clean it etc.. Try Craigslist, with a resonable price, and give it a week or two. If no sale, take it to the dealer of your choice for consignment. You have no loss there other than time, and if it don't work out you tried. Place good pictures in the ad, and give a detailed description. I have bought more on CL than I have sold, serious buyers want detail, and don't want to drive all over town disapointed by a miss respresented units.

L.

PS, the buyer of our 5'er drove 5 1/2 hours to come get our unit. He saw the ad on CL, and wanted a toy hauler in good shape. He ranted about how many he had been to see that were overpriced, dirty, or both.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:36 AM   #25

One thing I have found to be good is that NADA list the price of a used rig when it was new. I used that figure to price both my trade in on my 2000 Tiffin and the price I was willing to pay for my 2011 Georgetown. I took 25% off of the new list price then subtracted 10% off each subsequent year. Dealer thought I was reasonable on my expected trade in price, not so on my price willing to pay for the GT. We were 16K apart, I went up 2k and he came down 14K, deal! Have not used that formula since so I don't know if it would still apply especially with a more robust RV market in play.